Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 22,696 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

We are a family of five, with kids ages 6, 5, 2. We are planning to relocate to Folsom by Summer 2016.
Any idea which neighborhood or area of Folsom is the best in terms of schools, safety, and kids activities?

We currently live 2 hours away from Folsom (coming from the North Bay area), and your inputs will help us to get a good picture of how life is there in Folsom..

We look forward to your responses!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:44 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
They are all good, safe & have excellent schools. What is your budget? Do you prefer new or older construction? Do you prefer to be within walking distance to a shopping center, near the historic district, a walking trail, the lake, close freeway access or a hilltop view?

Have you looked at any of the other threads that talk about Folsom?

You should be able to find some basic info here, including a list of neighborhoods and the interocking trail map
https://www.folsom.ca.us/

It's really possible that by next year construction will have started S50 and then you can get in on the brand new development.

Also, there is a non-CD local forum that can probably help with more info from Folsomites, along with a couple of facebook pages (Folsom Chat & Folsom Watch). PM me if you'd like the link to the local forum. The Nextdoor neighboor app is really helpful too. As with elsewhere, there is an increase of property crime, and folsomites are quite active in reporting what's happening via social media. And suiting up - getting security systems and such. Folsom does have some pretty strict solicitation rules, a permit is required to go door to door, or stand on a sidewalk, which is really nice.

BTW, I live in Folsom.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:45 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Suburb

Old 12-18-2015, 07:17 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
There's a very large condo complex in Folsom -- it's got over 2,300 units. All of the units are furnished and you even get three meals a day. The security is excellent, armed guards are always on patrol. Comes with a gym and an exercise yard. Activities for the whole family, including making license plates. Check it out, it's called Casa Represa ;-)

Old 12-18-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
There's a very large condo complex in Folsom -- it's got over 2,300 units. All of the units are furnished and you even get three meals a day. The security is excellent, armed guards are always on patrol. Comes with a gym and an exercise yard. Activities for the whole family, including making license plates. Check it out, it's called Casa Represa ;-)
Are you talking about "Folsom Prison"?

Old 12-18-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
They are all good, safe & have excellent schools. What is your budget? Do you prefer new or older construction? Do you prefer to be within walking distance to a shopping center, near the historic district, a walking trail, the lake, close freeway access or a hilltop view?

Have you looked at any of the other threads that talk about Folsom?

You should be able to find some basic info here, including a list of neighborhoods and the interocking trail map
https://www.folsom.ca.us/

It's really possible that by next year construction will have started S50 and then you can get in on the brand new development.

Also, there is a non-CD local forum that can probably help with more info from Folsomites, along with a couple of facebook pages (Folsom Chat & Folsom Watch). PM me if you'd like the link to the local forum. The Nextdoor neighboor app is really helpful too. As with elsewhere, there is an increase of property crime, and folsomites are quite active in reporting what's happening via social media. And suiting up - getting security systems and such. Folsom does have some pretty strict solicitation rules, a permit is required to go door to door, or stand on a sidewalk, which is really nice.

BTW, I live in Folsom.
We are looking at the $400 - $450k range. Four bedroom preferably. I'm not picky when it comes to old or new homes as long as the neighborhood is good and kids can walk or ride their bikes.

Im also wondering if there is flooding or flood-prone areas in Folsom?

Thanks!

Old 12-19-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepumpkin View Post
We are looking at the $400 - $450k range. Four bedroom preferably. I'm not picky when it comes to old or new homes as long as the neighborhood is good and kids can walk or ride their bikes.
Here's a map showing the different school boundaries
Facilities & Planning / Downloadable Attendance Boundary Maps

Here's a map of the different neighborhoods in Folsom (tried to put them in date order)
Folsom Neighborhood Map - MyFolsom.com

Historic District - The oldest homes in Folsom are located in the Historic District. As you cross the American River this would be the area between the Rainbow Bridge and Lake Natoma Crossing on the east side of the river. These homes tend to be on the “grid” streets, which are within walking distance of historic Sutter Street. Some homes in this area were built in the late 1800’s
Central District - After World War II, the primary area for residential development in Folsom was near Natoma Street and Duchow Way. Development moved east, bounded by Natoma Street to the north and Humbug Creek to the south, and by the late 1970’s and early 1980’s the large Willow Creek development was started. Blue Ravine Road now forms the eastern and southern boundaries of Willow Creek.
American River Canyon/North Folsom - Homes in original American River Canyon, located south of Oak Avenue Parkway, were built in the early 1980’s and into the 1990’s.
Briggs Ranch - built in the 1990'shttp://www.neighborhoodlink.com/Briggs_Ranch/map
The Parkway -
a planned development with HOA,building started in the mid-1990's and is ongoing.
Broadstone - a 1,600 acre development near East Bidwell Street and Highway 50. Broadstone is unique in that it was completely developed by Elliott Homes, Inc. Building started in 1991-2013.
Lexington Hills - This area is east of Oak Avenue Parkway and south of Blue Ravine Road, built 1980’s and early 1990’s.
Natomas Station - built at same time as Lexington Hills. Located south of Blue Ravine Road and east of Folsom Blvd
Prairie Oaks, Loss Cerros, Willow Springs - under construction since the late 1990's. Prairie Oaks is located to the northeast of Natoma Station east of Prairie City Road and south of Blue Ravine Road. Los Cerros is just north of Prairie Oaks across Riley Street. Willow Springs, located just east of Prairie Oaks
Empire Ranch - 1,750 acres of master planned community with HOA located off of East Natoma St., southeast of Folsom Lake and is the newest development in Folsom.

Here's a list matching the price range and 4 BR.
4-Bedroom Folsom, CA Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

This is in one of the older neighborhoods, near the historic district. Many homes have been remodeled like this one. Home is within walking distance of the middle school, and city park/rodeo grounds, and Trader Joe shopping center.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Folsom/127.../home/19350097

Quote:
Im also wondering if there is flooding or flood-prone areas in Folsom?
Certainly not like the rest of Sacramento.
http://www.waterresources.saccounty....Floodplain.pdf
Region's Flooding History

But there is the potential for flooding anywhere below the dams, and in it's path. When I bought, I purposefully avoided those areas, even though there were some beautiful properties. My realtor informed me that the road, Blue Ravine, got it's name from the natural river that formed during storms before the dam was built.

Here's some info about the flood map
Flood Management > Levee Repairs & Floodplain Management > Floodplain Management > Floodplain Evaluation & Delineation > Awareness Floodplain Maps > Sacramento County > Folsom
https://www.folsom.ca.us/depts/admin...ng_project.asp

Here's some info about the Folsom Dam. Folsom Dam
And the Morman Island Dam. Mormon Island Dam foundation stabilized | Village Life

There are areas that are prone to flooding. I've seen pictures/videos from heavy storms on folsom Chat facebook page. I'd suggest joining so you can search for info. Or join the local non-CD folsom forum as there is tons of info there.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:15 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA
Quote:
Are you talking about "Folsom Prison"?
You got it, it was an attempt at humor. I'll show myself out and be on my way... and good luck with your search.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:32 AM

527 posts, read 1,324,195 times
New construction is just starting south of Hwy 50 which will include single family residential. I believe the timeline is that homes may be available in early 2017 if you have time to wait. The New Home Company will likely be the first homebuilder to have models available.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:52 PM

S50 construction has not started yet. White Rock has been widened west of Prairie City, but that's the only activity so far. Hopefully, construction will be delayed until they find an independent water source (vs the savings N50).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento