Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 09:29 AM

120 posts, read 212,741 times

Advertisements

Hullo All,

We have been living in the Midwest for over ten years, but we are not new to the area, my husband is from Santa Cruz and we attended to UC Davis years ago, lived in Davis, Berkeley, Fairfield in the 90s. He recently got a job in Woodland; however, we are thinking of living in Sacramento.

We have been thinking of these areas: The Pocket, Greenhaven, Land Park, and possibly North Natomas. What do you think? We want to steer away from the rough neighbourhoods and have a safe place to live: can take a walk in the middle of the day without getting bugged and mugged; can leave a locked house for a few days and it will not be broken into; drug-free area. We exercise common sense (locked door at all times, avoid walking at night, etc.) We also want a good high school for our teenager.

You input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Morinyo; 12-01-2013 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 02:18 AM

457 posts, read 1,182,693 times
Depends on your budget. I personally like Land Park / East Sac more than Greenhaven or North Natomas. Out of your options I would pick Natomas last.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Agreed--North Natomas would probably be the last pick in terms of safety and neighborhood, but it's not a bad neighborhood. It's also a much easier commute. From Natomas area through to any of the neighborhoods you listed, you may hit traffic. My fiancee commutes from Curtis Park (next to Land Park) to Woodland and it's usually fine, but generally traffic takes her a few extra minutes on average, with longer delays for thicker traffic, accidents, etc. Pocket and Greenhaven are even further, and the route to East Sac would lead you through a few congested miles.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:55 PM

229 posts, read 337,755 times
I agree with THINK ABOUT IT, Land Park would be a good fit if budget allows. Otherwise Hollywood Park area is nice too, very family oriented, lots of dog walkers, walking in general, etc. A friend loves Mangan Park right across the street from HP. There's also good housing area between freeport/ fruitridge/ sutterfield/ a little past s land park. I also liked Tahoe Park area but that's closer to 50 more east. Reading your wants I don't think you would be truly happy south of fruitridge (unless you're skipping to elk grove) and don't think close to or east of 24th is a fit. Before I moved people mentioned stay away from Hwy 99 areas and honestly it's ALMOST spot on. Never liked the housing options or vibe there, sorry if I offend someone who lives there just my honest opinion.

As a midwest person as well in my experience if you do look at that area save yourself headache later and go to the areas not only during the day but weekends and night time to REALLY learn the area and vibe. We're similar since for instance I love walking, jogging and walking the dog and in my pocket of South Sac it changes good vibe to bad vibe and clean to absolutely trashy/ dirty from block to block, at least in my area. I also want to be in an area people take pride in their yards and don't think dogs are just for security to leave out 24/7. So I learned to take a lot more into consideration than before when I move in two months. Wish you well in your search. There was a service called checkaprop that would check out properties and areas for you being out of state. But this site has steered me to good areas as well.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:23 AM

409 posts, read 957,546 times
If the budget allows live in Davis and commute to Woodland

Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u225615 View Post
If the budget allows live in Davis and commute to Woodland
I like Sac myself, and don't personally think Davis commands the ridiculous premium is home prices-- BUT: yes, that commute to Woodland is great. I-5 from Sac to Woodland usually isn't too bad, but it's longer and heading over the causeway means there's basically one way in and one way out (you can detour through Davis, but that's no fun). The commute from Davis to Woodland is an easy 10 minutes on quiet roads, no traffic, with several routes to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento