Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 06:42 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times

Advertisements

Or know of anyone working there.

I've been trying to apply to IT jobs there but the recruiting agencies that hire for them state they can't submit an application to them because I'm unemployed. I spent several weeks trying to track down someone at Blue Shield to talk to directly and ran into a roadblock with someone there basically equating me to being a felon because I'm unemployed. He states they can't hire unemployed people due to the ban the box law, which prohibits employers from asking if a candidate has ever been convicted until they've been given a job offer, and it is just easier for them to filter out all unemployed applicants so they don't have to bother with it.

I would like to talk to someone to see if there is any way I can get consideration for positions that open up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 08:59 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
You're being discriminated against due to employment status. Some states have laws against that, but California is not one of them. Sounds like that needs to change. Write your state senator or assemblyperson. It won't help you find work but maybe you'll have the satisfaction of helping make a meaningful change. Good luck in your job search.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:17 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Why would you even want to work at such a discriminatory place? Look elsewhere.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Why would you even want to work at such a discriminatory place? Look elsewhere.
Because I need to work and I'm running into a problem getting hired due to being unemployed.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:01 PM

527 posts, read 1,323,125 times
How come you're unemployed, what is the situation there? Is Blue Shield close to you which is why you're really trying to get on with them? Have you tried any public agencies? There is a lot of hiring going on in government right now. I hope you are able to find something soon.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:01 PM

I was laid off from my last job, and apparently, employers aren't willing to acknowledge that most people who are unemployed didn't do anything wrong and prefer to jump to conclusions, such as insisting unemployed people must have done something to be unemployed.

I'm fully aware of government jobs. Keep in mind that the total number of government job openings doesn't really mean anything. Educational and experience requirements, plus location, reduce the number of jobs any one candidate qualifies for to a very small amount.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:07 AM

490 posts, read 837,388 times
Consider a state job. You do have to take an exam (usually online) and it puts you on an eligibility list. From there, you can start applying for positions. It can take some time to get responses.. Some may be a letter saying they have filled the position.. others may be a phone call requesting an interview with you.. if you are successful at interviews, it may still be a while until you hear back... if/when you do, if you're offered a position, it takes a while longer to be brought on board.

There are some tips to how to go through the whole process and increase your chances of success.. if you want, send me a private message and I could share whatever I can to help. I'd say if one is persistent and is diligently applying for jobs, then does the necessary prep for interviews, you're more likely than not to land a state job. Having professional references does help.. and they do check them.

Aside from that.... consider other health care organizations like Kaiser or Sutter? I know someone working at the data center for the latter. Sometimes you need to start out as a contractor and then get offered a job with the employer directly.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:06 AM

Actually, I'm in the process of applying for an environmental scientist position with the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento