Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 AM

229 posts, read 337,514 times

Advertisements

I like to know what are some things others have done to help keep sound from coming through windows next to loud neighbors or their dogs. I rent a house and have dogs on both sides of the house both within 10' from the windows that bark... none stop. To make things worse the house has single pane windows and AC units in windows which is not good to prevent sound coming in. I'm out of options since;

- I cannot just move I'm in a lease
- Using Sacramento 311 is a joke
- Neighbors would not be receptive nor would change their dogs behavior
- We came at various times before moving in and did not hear dogs the three times we visited
- landlord will not replace older windows

I cannot nor would I reinforce walls or replace windows since I'm renting so not going to improve his house without me getting reimbursed back which he won't. I'm trying to get creative on a beer budget. I've heard of plexiglass, sound deadening curtains and even bubble wrap. I also heard of barking repellent machines but those are anywhere from 25 - 40% effective reading reviews and not cheap at $100 and up for the "better" ones and would need at least two. I'm sure this is a more common issue for renters so I'm sure this would be beneficial to many more as well.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,277,077 times
If you don't want to permanently block the windows, a Plexiglass window insert, held on with magnetic strips via a metal frame, works pretty well, with curtains that fit tightly over the windows that you can close at night. It will also help insulate the apartment, lowering your heating/cooling bill if you also pay utilities. The one issue will be the AC unit in the window, but you can also buy coverings for the AC unit at the local Ace Hardware.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
Buy a remote barking control device and hang it in your yard. Sends out noises dogs can hear but we cannot. Works for 50 feet. Spend the extra $$ to get the kind with varying signals. We had this issue at our last house. Wasn't perfect but helped a lot.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:40 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
Bubble wrap in a frame will let the light in and be the most effective sound barrier.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 AM

229 posts, read 337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Bubble wrap in a frame will let the light in and be the most effective sound barrier.
Thanks for all the advice. I heard about bubble wrap but kind of laughed it off but maybe I should take it seriously. Maybe put up bubble wrap on the glass then 1/4" thick plexiglass. This way I still get the light. Worried though I will do all this and find out the sound still comes through or comes through the walls as well. The only thing I have to decide is do I have the landlord get rid of the AC Unit in the window and put up glass since think me doing all this with the av unit might be a waste of time on that window at least.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
I am a big "fan" of white noise. I've lived in noisy apartments for the last 10 years, and I currently live above a bar lol! I have a huge floor fan and the white noise really helps. This is what I have:

Patton PUF1410B-BM Floor Fan - 3 Speed - Adjustable Tilt Head - Metal Grille - Rakuten.com Shopping

An extra bonus to the above fan, is that you can turn it so it faces the ceiling. This sucks the cool air from the floor and circulates it through the room. Really helps keep a room cool. Great for summertime.

I like the idea of the barking control device, too.

I lived in the Pacific NW for too long, and we used to cover our windows with plastic in the winter to winterize. I hated not being able to see outside. But, if it's just your bedroom, maybe it wouldn't bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: