Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 18,535 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll be moving to the Sacramento area from San Francisco (job related) in the next few months. I have two small children under 3 and have no idea which 'burbs are best for kids (or anything about the area, actually!) I'd appreciate any input.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
What do you like best - do want super yuppie burbs?

And it depends on how muc you can afford in housing

Best spots are Roseville/Granite Bay, or ELdorado Hills/Folsom areas. Those will have the best schools

Stay out of Sacramento proper for schools, unless you need housing that's more affordable. Then stay in the San Juan School District.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 AM

325 posts, read 1,473,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Stay out of Sacramento proper for schools, unless you need housing that's more affordable. Then stay in the San Juan School District.
There are good, even great, Sacramento Unified schools. Great elementary schools include Didion (k-8) in the Pocket, Crocker-Riverside in Land Park, Leonardo da Vinci School in Hollywood Park and Phoebe Herbst in East Sacramento.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 AM

70 posts, read 379,488 times
Default Where will you be working?

Downtown? Folsom etc. Checkout metrolistmls.com for property. Living in Roseville or beyond and working downtown is bad commute if you dont like the bumper to bumper thing. Traffic can get ugly. The metrolist site will provide you with whats available & what current homes are listed at.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 AM

70 posts, read 379,488 times
I love posts from people that "visited Sacramento 3 years ago" or "used to live here". They seem to give the worst advice about everything.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 PM

24 posts, read 88,498 times
I lived there for 2 years and was very happy. I loved the Fair Oaks/Orangevale area. But yes, depending on where you work the commute can be ugly. There are some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods closer to "Sacramento proper". I did quite a bit of work in Roseville/Rocklin, and the sea of box houses was a turn off to me. I like some character, and some of the older neighborhoods have quite a bit of. I don't know about schools, as I do not have young children.

Good luck, it's a great place to live!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 PM

216 posts, read 377,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billie123 View Post
Hi,

I'll be moving to the Sacramento area from San Francisco (job related) in the next few months. I have two small children under 3 and have no idea which 'burbs are best for kids (or anything about the area, actually!) I'd appreciate any input.

Many thanks!
I'm in a similar boat. This is where I found great Elementary schools
in Sacramento scoring 9 or better on the API index.

a) Didione (Pocket)
b) Phoebe Hearst (McKinnely Park)
c) Pony Express (Pocket)
d) Misyuama (sp?) (Pocket)

Be sure what school your address is allocated to.

Also, even in parts of Natomas there are good schools
ranking about 8 or better in the API index such
as Natomas park elementary and Regency park elementary.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:45 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpd View Post
I'm in a similar boat. This is where I found great Elementary schools
in Sacramento scoring 9 or better on the API index.

a) Didione (Pocket)
b) Phoebe Hearst (McKinnely Park)
c) Pony Express (Pocket)
d) Misyuama (sp?) (Pocket)

Be sure what school your address is allocated to.

Also, even in parts of Natomas there are good schools
ranking about 8 or better in the API index such
as Natomas park elementary and Regency park elementary.

Good luck!
Matsuyama is a good school. It's on a year-round program.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:30 PM

718 posts, read 2,689,483 times
id recomend folsom or el dorado hills. maybe citrus heights if money is more of an issue.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:43 PM
CEO

39 posts, read 178,394 times
Expensive Neighborhoods: Folsom, Gold River, Natomas (new part), Granite Bay, Roseville (new part), Lincoln (new part), El Dorado Hills.

Good: Sacramento, Fair Oaks

It depends on how much you have available for housing and where you work. So of the nicer neighborhoods are farther out and require a longer commute.

For best schools, I recommend the San Juan District. They have really great schools, especially high schools. Although they are not as well funded compared to others in the county. San Juan has very academically challenging and recognized programs for the smart and dedicated students. They rank higher than most of the other schools around.

I've been to San Juan District schools from 1st grade and I've known so many smart kids that went onto great colleges, including ivies. Depending on the school, sports are on par but not a powerhouse though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento