Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:18 PM

30 posts, read 34,921 times

Advertisements

My husband is applying for a job in Sacramento and I'm looking for info regarding neighborhoods. We have 3 small children, one is in school. He's going to be working potentially in Arden-Arcade and would like to have a commute less than 20 minutes away with traffic. We want good schools or the ability to transfer to a nearby good school, and safe, no drugs, gangs on the corner, shootings, etc. But for reference, we have lived in the Fresno/Clovis area for 10+ years. Walkability would be nice to school, shopping, work, or activities, but we also want quiet, no nightlife in earshot. We are thinking Arden-Arcade for renting a house for 1-2 years, but would like to live somewhere we can end up buying a house and not change schools. Any help or advice on Arden-Arcade? Or on navigating the school districts to register my kiddo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 04:45 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
That area is really patchy. Some of the nicer neighborhoods are near Whole Foods: i.e. Garden of the Gods, Sierra Oaks, Arden Oaks or Campus Commons, RiverPark, East Sac towards Sac State. There are some nicer areas off Fair Oaks Blvd & American River Drive. Stay away from Watt, and anywhere north of El Camino. I would suggest checking GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Just be aware, there is nothing in this area that will be anything like Clovis/Fresno, unless you move up to the Lincoln area.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:25 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
That area is really patchy. Some of the nicer neighborhoods are near Whole Foods: i.e. Garden of the Gods, Sierra Oaks, Arden Oaks or Campus Commons, RiverPark, East Sac towards Sac State. There are some nicer areas off Fair Oaks Blvd & American River Drive. Stay away from Watt, and anywhere north of El Camino. I would suggest checking GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Just be aware, there is nothing in this area that will be anything like Clovis/Fresno, unless you move up to the Lincoln area.
Pocket and North Natomas. They're both much smaller and not exactly Clovis, but then neither is Lincoln.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Pocket and North Natomas. They're both much smaller and not exactly Clovis, but then neither is Lincoln.
Possibly...in many ways Lincoln is more like Clovis. I guess the OP will have to tell us which is more important, "like Clovis" or 20 minute commute from work in Arden-Arcade.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:24 PM

Default Some more priorities...

I really don't think I need it to be just like Clovis. Part of the reason to move is to get a little cooler (just a bit) at night, and maybe slightly better air quality. But the <20 minute commute is a top concern. Also safety and schools. We could walk to our school here and that was super nice. Parks, access to activities for kids, etc. But if I wanted just-like-Clovis, I'd stay put. We can definitely handle a little more urban or suburban, don't care, just not a flat in a high rise. Schools, safety, and proximity to Arden. The areas you all mentioned are all very spotty with the schools. Many of the best schools are open or fundamental schools and the deadlines to apply for these schools or for intradistrict transfers have all long since passed. Our budget BTW is around $2000/mo for rent.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 PM

Lincoln is way too far. I would go to Roseville first. I'm also looking at Carmicheal, Land Park, East Sac. Natomas is nice, a little further than we want. If it's not safe in town, we may have to go further out, just hoping to stay close.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:59 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times
I moved from Clovis to Sac a few months ago. We live in the Pocket/Greenahven, which I enjoy. It's a bit like the older/original parts of northwest Fresno. I would also consider Land Park for sure (sort of has an Old Fig/Sunnyside feel). I can't help with schools since we homeschool. But it's a pretty smooth transition to make since the areas have a fair amount of similarities.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:00 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Carmichael would be a good choice, or the neighborhoods of Arden-Arcade on the southern end along Fair Oaks Boulevard, or American River Drive/La Riviera. That would also put you next to the river, which functions as a heatsink of sorts. Close to parks and schools and

There aren't any "high rises" in Arden-Arcade (which is not in the city of Sacramento) or the neighborhoods you're looking at--I don't think things get any taller than 3-4 story apartment buildings. Heck, the closest thing to residential high-rises are a half-dozen or so buildings in downtown Sacramento.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivingmenuts32 View Post
Schools, safety, and proximity to Arden. The areas you all mentioned are all very spotty with the schools. Many of the best schools are open or fundamental schools and the deadlines to apply for these schools or for intradistrict transfers have all long since passed.
For top schools, you are going to have to go to Folsom, EDH, Elk Grove, and possibly Roseville/Rocklin. None of those are going to be a fun/good/easy commute to Arden-Arcade.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:45 AM

23 posts, read 29,805 times
Check out Fair Oaks and Gold River too. It's a nice community still close to Arden-Arcade. Since on Hwy 50, your husband will not be driving beyond Arden-Arcade towards downtown, the commute will still be fairly quick even from Gold River or even Folsom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento