Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 PM

82 posts, read 215,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
Division1 high school, sierra college (very good as far as community colleges go)- no university nearby.
thanks. i meant college too but here colegio (college) is not the same as there so i put university. basically after high school (our prepa) is what i was meaning. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:50 PM

168 posts, read 240,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I assume you live there and have for years right? Wrong? No, temps are not in the 70s at night in Burbank or Anaheim; Yes, there will be a winter heat wave caused by the Santa Ana winds, but the temps are no anywhere the same as the Caribbean.. As you mentioned record high: there is a huge difference between record and normal. Have you spent any time in the Caribbean?

As for GV area, compared to the Caribbean, yes, it is very cold, but they don't get much snow and the days, even winter are very livable.

OP: schools are fine, but there is no university. The closest would be Sacramento.
Geez. I was referring to daytime highs.. You can calm down now.

Also OP, on the upside, when high pressure sets in during January, usually an inversion layer is produced above 2000' elevation... Meaning that often the foothills can be much warmer than the valley

Last edited by enigma99a; 07-08-2014 at 11:03 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 01:34 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnkats View Post
thanks all. we're considering the foothills because we've always liked the scenic beauty of the area and my husband used to be a recreational gold panner and knows the foothills pretty well. course that was 4 kids and 20 years ago. we're looking to find pretty much what we have here in mexico but with better education. we find it incredibly safe here and my eldest comes home from town at anywhere from midnight to 1am (from his girlfriends ) and we don't worry. kids roam around every day and we don't worry. schools are great up through secundaria and then prepa really kinda sucks. so the eldest two are out of prepa and looking at university and the eldest of the girls will finish secundaria next year so we're looking.

we have no pollution at all and reading the forums reminded me of the homeless you have. so that's kind of a bummer to think we will be surrounded daily by people asking us for money? we are used to fresh food and simply made (whole ingredients not processed) and my husband and I road bike (and I swim and run). i work from home and we're currently running the numbers to see if he'd need to get a job too.

so that's what we're looking for
simple life, nature, places to swim,bike,run, good high schools, nice kids, accepting families, safe environments, lower CoL. i'm going to freeze regardless of where i go and the kids are fascinated by snow so maybe it is time to make that jump. i'm looking at Paradise also but not sure of the schools there.

oh geez i forgot - lots of sun important also.
I was camping and panning for gold about 20 years ago around Nevada City, maybe I saw your husband around!

Grass Valley is where the shopping and most of the housing is in that area. The cost of living there is quite high.

I think that a California community college degree automatically guarantees the kids entry into some state universities. Saves a lot of money.

If you want a warmer, more Mexico-like climate, you might want to check along the route 49 villages further south, such as .....oh, I dunno, Angels Camp. That sounds interesting.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:50 AM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Geez. I was referring to daytime highs.. You can calm down now.

Also OP, on the upside, when high pressure sets in during January, usually an inversion layer is produced above 2000' elevation... Meaning that often the foothills can be much warmer than the valley
Yea they say with elevation or every 1000 feet, it gets 10 degrees cooler but Auburn seems real hot too.. at least as much so as Sacramento. Probably because its inland so that levels it out making the elevation not count probably. Further from the ocean breeze.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:51 AM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
As far as the area, know what you're getting into completely as there is no excitement, it is completely boring in the GV, NC area. It is far from any major center or any mall. You may run into a few breweries but anything beyond that, extremely boring and extremely expensive.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:42 PM

thanks everyone. i'm starting to think that maybe what we want we just can't find. we have everything here - incredible diversity (european, all over mexico, south americans, you name it we have it) very small town safety and feel, incredible QoL (steps away from the caribbean and if i were not sick with a cold i'd be swimming right now), surrounded by nature (jungle, i.e. the cenote (swim hole) has a croc in it, we have deer, monkeys, cockroaches , crabs, iguana, too much to mention), no pollution at all - sky is brilliant with stars, whole, clean foods, absolutely no infrastructure and just beginning to recycle, but schools out of primaria suck, on and healthcare is amazing.

so now i'm investigating sacto. we're pretty much decided on CA as all my family lives there and it would be nice for the kids to know their cousins. i'm thinking going into a huge city will be a huge shock but maybe that's what we need - something radically different so we don't keep trying to make CA like home? husband and i will likely move back here once all kids are settled in university...

Old 07-09-2014, 02:35 PM

It might be cheaper to move near to a good private school in Mexico, and then send the kids there.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It might be cheaper to move near to a good private school in Mexico, and then send the kids there.
except then we're still stuck with university issues. none of the kids want to go to university here and with 2 of university age and 2 coming up, time to head to the great white north it seems.

maybe we'll come back here during the summers to warm our frozen bones.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 PM

Well, if you can tolerate the heat and pesticides, the Central Valley lowlands have some relatively cheap places to live. I'd only live there if I needed to save money ..... or I'd really save money by moving to one of the other nearby Southwestern states.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:05 AM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
It sounds really nice where you are from. How bout online colegio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento