Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM

8 posts, read 34,296 times

Advertisements

I moved up here August of last year and live in Rocklin (Placer County). I signed a 12 month lease with one month of free rent amortized over the 12 month lease, dropping rent down to $876 per month, paying all utilities on top of that.

I got notice on Oct 1st that beginning Dec 1st, they want to increase that rent to $1000 with a 14 month lease, and I have to let them know by November 15th.

The rent amount is just under a 15% increase and with a longer-than-normal term lease... I just want to make sure this is legal, if anyone knows. (I see tons of places listing at 6, 9, 12 or 13 month leases, haven't seen 14 months before.)

I've never been late on rent and as far as I know, I'm pretty quiet. I like it here, no complaints aside from minor things, and I absolutely hate moving, especially after such a short period.

This is such a dramatic increase in rent and I know I can pretty much get the same thing in the Sac area, but with $1000 in another place, at least SOME paid utilities might be included - water/sewage/garbage at least; I'd be paying $1000 PLUS all utilities which is ridiculous.

For an apartment complex that wants to keep existing tenants, they sure have a funny way of trying to keep us.

I'm trying to find info on renters rights or something, but not really finding the right info for Placer County and increasing rent by 15%, especially with a longer-than-normal lease request.

Anyone able to provide info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz421 View Post
I moved up here August of last year and live in Rocklin (Placer County). I signed a 12 month lease with one month of free rent amortized over the 12 month lease, dropping rent down to $876 per month, paying all utilities on top of that.

I got notice on Oct 1st that beginning Dec 1st, they want to increase that rent to $1000 with a 14 month lease, and I have to let them know by November 15th.

The rent amount is just under a 15% increase and with a longer-than-normal term lease... I just want to make sure this is legal, if anyone knows. (I see tons of places listing at 6, 9, 12 or 13 month leases, haven't seen 14 months before.)

I've never been late on rent and as far as I know, I'm pretty quiet. I like it here, no complaints aside from minor things, and I absolutely hate moving, especially after such a short period.

This is such a dramatic increase in rent and I know I can pretty much get the same thing in the Sac area, but with $1000 in another place, at least SOME paid utilities might be included - water/sewage/garbage at least; I'd be paying $1000 PLUS all utilities which is ridiculous.

For an apartment complex that wants to keep existing tenants, they sure have a funny way of trying to keep us.

I'm trying to find info on renters rights or something, but not really finding the right info for Placer County and increasing rent by 15%, especially with a longer-than-normal lease request.

i don't know all the laws, I am sure someone else will be able to help you, but it seems pretty acceptable to me.

Nita

Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM

125 posts, read 291,898 times
After your lease is up, yes, they can raise the rent rate as much as they want, or make your new lease longer... unless there is something in your current lease that say that your lease will be automatically renewed with the same conditions. Or if it says after your lease term is up you will go to a month to month lease.

You could try to talk to them and negotiate the terms of the new lease. Let them know that if they're not willing to work with you, that you will not sign the new lease and will find somewhere else to live.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:28 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,190 times
They can make your rent $5000/month if they wanted to. If you don't like it, move. The beauty of the free market.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
A lease is a rental agreement with a term longer than one year. It can be for any time period longer than that.

Once a lease expires it can be raised by the landlord for any amount unless there is a rent control ordinance in the locality. (I don't think anywhere in the area has such an ordinance.)

It sounds to me like the original rate was a teaser rate designed to get you into the place with the landlord contemplating the increase which you find yourself facing. This is done because like you, most folks hate the idea of moving around a lot.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:27 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
Quote:

It sound like they are counting on you not wanting to move because it is inconvenient, thinking you will pay the increase.

They could raise the rent to $75,000 a month and require a 10 year lease if they wanted. They can pretty much do anything they want in respect to fees as long as it isn't discriminatory.

$1000 a month will get you a plush pad in many parts of the Metro area.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM

8 posts, read 34,296 times
I stopped by manager's office and she advised me to email her which she would forward on to the property owners (Woodmont), and see if we can negotiate it or something.

The manager told me to plead my case (good tenant, never late, etc.) - should I mention the fact that my salary will be decreasing as well? My schedule changed so I no longer will be getting a Sunday pay differential, but combined with an extra increase in rent, we're talking an extra $314 loss in income per month unless I work a couple of 6-day work weeks a month.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
First of all, it isn't a 15% increase since you are paying a lower rate this lease term because you had them spread the "one month free" out over 12 months to lower your monthly rent. Your budget will see a 15% increase only because there is no freebie this lease term but the rent isn't truly going up that much. Your rent for this lease term would have been what if you hadn't done that? About $950 a month? A $50 increase isn't unheard of when renewing with rent that high to begin with.

Second, a landlord can do what they want with the rent and lease terms in a new lease. It certainly doesn't hurt to negotiate with the landlord/management company. You never know, they might be willing to work with you. If not, I'd find something cheaper to rent knowing my income would be decreasing.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
I stopped by manager's office and she advised me to email her which she would forward on to the property owners (Woodmont), and see if we can negotiate it or something.

The manager told me to plead my case (good tenant, never late, etc.) - should I mention the fact that my salary will be decreasing as well? My schedule changed so I no longer will be getting a Sunday pay differential, but combined with an extra increase in rent, we're talking an extra $314 loss in income per month unless I work a couple of 6-day work weeks a month.
It can't hurt to talk to the owner. I did the same when I moved last yyear and they lowered the rent by $50 a month, this is based on the fact that I lived in the area my whole life, always payed my rent on time, worked for the same company for close to twenty years.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:

Plead your case as a good tenant, but it isn't thier fault you salary will be cut and they may look at it that way. I don't think I would make that an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento