Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 28,876 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide where to live. Husband stationed at Beale AFB.

Is traffic to/from Beale AFB/Sacramento better on:

Option 1 from Beale AFB: Up 65 for a very short bit til around Olivehurst where I would hop south on 99/70 (Golden State Hwy/El Centro Blvd) -- Google Maps says 49 minutes from Sacramento to Beale AFB this way.

--or--

Option 2 from Beale AFB: 65 (Lincoln Bypass) -- Google Maps says right at 1 hour this way.

Reason for my asking, I'd like to buy a home in Lincoln/Rocklin/Roseville. If we do buy, then those are the areas I've narrowed it down to. However, if we end up renting (which is still a very real possibility considering how much it costs to live out there), the area isn't as important to me and I'd rather have the way with the least amount of traffic and least drive time (knowing that sometimes a longer distance can actually be the shorter way time wise). For example, if it's a huge difference (benefit) in traffic/drive time from the Plumas Lake area, then I'd rather rent there. Or, another example, if I'm going to sit in traffic for 2 hours commuting to Sacramento from Lincoln/Rocklin/Roseville, then would it be more advantageous to live on base and commute down 99/70 if the drive TIME would be shorter?

Since I don't know anything about the area, what are the realistic drive times? Any suggestions? Anyone Air Force that might have some ideas?

My husband will be working at Beale AFB no matter what. I'm looking into finding a full time job (my background is in field sales/pharmaceuticals so I'll be driving a territory anyway) and I'm betting Sacramento is my best option. Not sure how sales territories are divided up out there -- If anyone has any input on that, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 02:40 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Did any of the suggestions in your previous thread work?

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...affic-etc.html

I do realize it got highjacked.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:36 PM

Haha That's alright. I don't blame folks for being frustrated with California's real estate market, taxes, etc. I don't even live there yet and I'm frustrated with it!! Haha!!

Most of the other thread was wanting to know about purchasing a home in Lincoln, Rocklin, Roseville -- schools, what areas are better for resale, how far from base realistically, etc. Got lots of great, informational replies!

I'm curious as to, more specifically, the drive times. Thus the new thread. I'm thinking about renting more and more based on the real estate market out there. If I rent, the area in which I rent isn't nearly as important as if I were to buy. Still want something nice but don't have to worry about resale. So, I'm trying to figure out if taking the "western route" (99/70) to Sacramento from Beale AFB would be better or worse than the "eastern route" (65). And by better or worse I mean not just what is the shortest drive but what is the shortest time to Sacramento from Beale AFB and if traffic is significantly less on one than the other. I just don't want to end up renting something in one area and learning that if I had rented in a different area, I could have avoided a huge, potential traffic nightmare Monday-Friday! I'm even considering living on Beale AFB and commuting to Sacramento if the commute to Sacramento from Lincoln/Rocklin/Roseville will be just as long (time wise) with traffic as if I commuted in from base on the western route.

Hopefully that helps clarify my new thread

Last edited by newtocalifornia; 08-01-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Not a problem

With either route, you are going to hit a lot of traffic during commuter hours, especially the closer you get to downtown. I actually think the 99 route would be better if you are heading to the West Sac/west side of downtown. Actually, it's probably better all together, because there are more lanes in each direction, and there isn't the bottleneck situation that you have on capitol 80 after the I80 cutoff and as you get closer. Once you pass Exhibition, the hwy narrows to 3 lanes and it's slow moving.

But...if you are going into other parts of "Sacramento", like Citrus Heights, Carmichael, etc, then the 65/80 route would be better. There are lots of "short-cut" routes for a change of pace, again, depending on which way you are going.

I'm not sure of the actual drive times, as I don't live out there. My experience was doing the reverse commute from downtown/east sac to Roseville/Lincoln. I'd venture to say it's close to 30-40 minutes minus parking (depending on route & traffic conditions).

Old 08-01-2014, 10:10 PM

Okay, so what I refer to as the western route (99/70) would be the better route in so far as traffic conditions? GREAT info regarding the short cuts, how many lanes, bottlenecks, etc. THAT'S the stuff I'm trying to figure out ... and avoid! When you say, "it's close to 30-40 minutes," where is that from/to? I am concerned that if I live in Lincoln/Rocklin/Roseville, I'm going to get stuck in massive amounts of traffic since all the towns are right there. Therefore, spend just as much time commuting from that area as if I lived on base and commuted the western route into Sacramento (further distance but better traffic situation). Just doesn't seem like there are very many towns on that western route as opposed to the eastern route which has Lincoln, Rocklin, and Roseville all along the way. Thought maybe traffic would be different. I hate to waste fuel but it might come down to me going out to visit and driving the various routes during the times I would be driving them during the work week. I'd rather get stuck in traffic once or twice and learn my lesson than pick a place to live and be stuck with it for years.

I've never been there and am not there now so I apologize if I'm asking questions that seems common sense or, "why don't you do it yourself."

Old 08-01-2014, 10:57 PM

Where in Sacto will you be driving to, approximately? Will you be going to an office, or all over? I think you said you were in sales.

I've never driven toward Sac from Lincoln in the morning...so I can't really say. I know the reverse commute from downtown/East Sac would take me that long. And I know when I went with friends from West Sac to Yuba City during the evening commute hours, that took anywhere from 45-60 minutes.

I believe it is somewhat of a westernly jog from Lincoln to 70/99. It's country roads. Nicolaus to Pleasant Grove then to Nicolaus. It might be easier to live in Plumas Lake because that would be a straight shot down 70/99 to Sac, and it looks like there are some country roads that cut over to Beale.

There's always North Natomas too. That would be a straight shot of 99/70 to Beale, with a little jog at the top.

I'm sure you've already heard, but Linda & Olivehurst are not recommended.

Exploring is a great idea. That is beautiful country out there.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 AM

Not quite sure where in Sacramento since I'm not sure how companies divide up the territories out there. Yes, I would have a sales territory, not an office. So I would be driving around that territory all day. Not knowing my potential territory is making it that much harder and why I'm considering renting when I first get there to figure things out. I don't know if I could take driving an hour to/from my territory every day. Ugh! I had thought about Plumas Lake, but more so to rent. I'm kind of scared of buying in that area after reading about all the flooding. I saw North Natomas on the map and will have to look into that. I don't want to create an hour drive for my husband either, with him having to drive to Beale AFB M-F. Too bad Beale is around literally nothing! Haha! I have heard Linda and Olivehurst are not where I'd be happy - thanks for confirming it!!

Old 08-04-2014, 12:07 PM

107 posts, read 248,436 times
The Levees near Plumas Lake have all been upgraded. The levees in Natomas will be upgraded soon (I heard). If you are still worried about flooding, Lincoln may be your best bet. I am not sure of commute times, but there is almost direct access to Beale from either place. Lincoln historicly was a small town untill the late 90's then it boomed, it is still not a huge town, and it has it's charm. Plumas Lake was fields untill the late 90s, then became a "suburb" of Sacramento and Yuba City/Marysville area. There is a Walgreens and minimart/gas station in Plumas Lake, and other shopping in Marysville/Yuba City. As a whole, the Yuba City/Marysville area is a nice place to live, They have a nice riverfront park , and a nice "lake" right in the city of Marysville. I would find a rental first, then buy later on. Either way, I do not think you would be squirming to find a new location.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,505 times
Lincoln is a nice town and close to alot. Not sure what kind of medicine sales you do but roseville has two large hospitals and lots of offices. The drive in from 65 is easy and bottlenecks just upon getting in to roseville but there are alot of ways around it. Hwy 193 is a beautiful drive over and into Auburn area too as a way to connect to 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento