Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:54 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing stories about a fairly large 3-story complex that's been approved in Arden-Arcade. The news stories are saying it will be built on an "abandoned parking lot" on Butano near Watt.

Do they mean the parking lot at Country Club? I can't find anywhere where it's mentioned. If it's the back "overflow" parking lot those apartments will be looking right into people's back yards and windows.

Does anyone know the exact location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 12:20 AM

81 posts, read 293,005 times
It's right here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2134+...nia+95825&z=17

Here's a document that references the location:

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...%3A11%3A15.pdf

Old 01-29-2015, 09:08 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
They approved it but it looks like there were plenty of upset people at the meeting Sacramento County approves controversial low-income apartments in Arden Arcade | The Sacramento Bee The Sacramento Bee

Old 01-29-2015, 01:54 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Well, they chose not to incorporate, so they became the county's " housing dumping ground". Hope they learned something.....

Old 01-29-2015, 10:15 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Well, they chose not to incorporate, so they became the county's " housing dumping ground". Hope they learned something.....
Cannery Place in Township 9 is a larger welfare project. Aside from being kind of cramped, Cannery Place looks okay. It's certainly not as luxurious as some of the welfare housing projects built leading up to the boom like J Lofts but fairly nice for welfare housing, I'd say.

Anyway, dumping ground for welfare housing is mostly in and around downtown. There's some spread out in the surrounding areas, but that's definitely where the welfare housing is concentrated. Incorporating doesn't seem to have prevented a concentration of welfare housing in Sacramento. Good luck to them in fighting it, I guess. 100% welfare buildings like it (or Cannery Place) usually cause more problems for the neighborhood and mixed buildings like J Lofts where only a small percentage of the units are welfare housing.

Last edited by Malloric; 01-29-2015 at 10:29 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
I agree- I'm not sure why they didn't vote for it, it's pretty clear that incorporation has improved Citrus Heights.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Cannery Place in Township 9 is a larger welfare project. Aside from being kind of cramped, Cannery Place looks okay. It's certainly not as luxurious as some of the welfare housing projects built leading up to the boom like J Lofts but fairly nice for welfare housing, I'd say.

Anyway, dumping ground for welfare housing is mostly in and around downtown. There's some spread out in the surrounding areas, but that's definitely where the welfare housing is concentrated.
Is this project 'welfare housing'? When I was in Reno there were a number of apartment complexes that were getting HUD tax breaks by having upper income limits, but they also had a lower earned income requirement so that people living there had to provide documentation that they were working. For the most part they were really nice, lots of young couples and a bizillion kids but no problems at all. On the other hand, a HUD project in Vallejo has turned into a war zone, it's one of the worst and most dangerous ghettos in the bay area. Most of the residents are there on Section 8 vouchers and for the most part are nice people but a number of them allow their thug teenage grandsons and nephews to move in

Old 01-29-2015, 10:46 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Is this project 'welfare housing'? When I was in Reno there were a number of apartment complexes that were getting HUD tax breaks by having upper income limits, but they also had a lower earned income requirement so that people living there had to provide documentation that they were working. For the most part they were really nice, lots of young couples and a bizillion kids but no problems at all. On the other hand, a HUD project in Vallejo has turned into a war zone, it's one of the worst and most dangerous ghettos in the bay area. Most of the residents are there on Section 8 vouchers and for the most part are nice people but a number of them allow their thug teenage grandsons and nephews to move in
I really didn't know about this project at all.

Usually when a smaller percentage of the units are welfare units, the management has more incentive to enforce the lease terms and keep the not-on-the-lease baby daddies/grandson/nephews out. They'll actually evict those people since there are people actually paying to live there. You see the same thing when an apartment hits "Section 8 Flight." Apartments that are mostly Section 8 tend to have a lot of problems that ones that are more mixed do not. I know there's people that explicitly look only at apartments that do not accept welfare tenants, but my experience hasn't been that negative.

Also, Aren is just a NIMBY area. Part of it's really wealthy and part of it's really unwealthy, and there's a lot of strife between the haves and have nots. Like the Sacbee article talking about the resistance to Winco. Perfect example. Me, I'm a Winco shopper. I think it'd be great if Arden got a Winco, and I think it's great that they have a Whole Paychecks. Personally, I wouldn't buy much at Whole Paychecks aside from meat and things like overpriced cheese/olives.

Last edited by Malloric; 01-29-2015 at 11:04 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I really didn't know about this project at all.

Usually when a smaller percentage of the units are welfare units, the management has more incentive to enforce the lease terms and keep the not-on-the-lease baby daddies/grandson/nephews out. They'll actually evict those people since there are people actually paying to live there. You see the same thing when an apartment hits "Section 8 Flight." Apartments that are mostly Section 8 tend to have a lot of problems that ones that are more mixed do not. I know there's people that explicitly look only at apartments that do not accept welfare tenants, but my experience hasn't been that negative.

Also, Aren is just a NIMBY area. Part of it's really wealthy and part of it's really unwealthy, and there's a lot of strife between the haves and have nots. Like the Sacbee article talking about the resistance to Winco. Perfect example. Me, I'm a Winco shopper. I think it's great that Arden cot a Winco, and I think it's great that they have a Whole Paychecks. Personally, I wouldn't buy much at Whole Paychecks aside from meat and things like overpriced cheese/olives.
I love Winco, I'm delighted they are building one there, it's much closer to me than the one we have been going to in Orangevale, and I'm not sure why anyone would turn their nose up at it. It's employee owned and seems to be a very ethical, well run business. Personally I prefer Trader Joe's to Whole Foods, ever try their Masala Simmer Sauce or their Arribiata sauce? Both are great and quite reasonable.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:54 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,970 times
This is an interesting project, and as much as I'm aware about development going on in the region, I didn't even know about this project. Arden-Arcade has it challenges, and there are pockets of nice areas mixed in with blighted areas as well. The merits of this project are complicated. You have land that's been identified by the county for high density development and so I'm assuming all that they were considering was the design review of the project which usually doesn't get denied. You have what looks like a great infill project at face value replacing an old parking lot near commercial areas which is typical location for multifamily. Does anyone know what the parking lot was originally used for? I don't spend much time in this area, but I know it has its challenges and a project like this may exacerbate some manifestation of existing problems associated with this area. At the same time I believe smart infill projects are necessary and if done right then most problems will be mitigated in the correct ways. I need to read the staff report to get a better response going. I do know that despite the new construction, I don't think it would be my first choice to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento