Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 PM

136 posts, read 211,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If North Park Oak and West Tahoe park keep gentrifying, then central Oak Park is certainly next, over say, random neighborhoods in North Sacramento.
West Tahoe Park isn't remotely like Oak Park, and never fell into decay. In fact West Tahoe Park is where all the historic architecture of Tahoe Park resides, having been built in the 1910s and 1920s rather than than the 1940's and 1950's. Moreover the developer for that area was the famous Wright & Kimbrough who also built some of the nicest homes in East Sac, including the fab 40s.

Quote:
Here's another beauty that just came on market. Priced same as the earlier Sherman one.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sacramento.../home/19426631
On a related note this house is on 41s st, which is one of the only streets in North Oak Park / Med Center that was also a Wright & Kimbrough tract. That's why the homes on that particular street are so nice.

Quote:
I think central oak park will be much slower to follow suit. The majority of homes there have been 50-150k and the residents are less generally less savory. Take a walk from Y down to past Broadway , the tone changes drastically.
As mentioned earlier, the quality of neighborhood various greatly in Central Oak Park just as it does in North Oak Park. Central Oak Park west of MLK has an entirely different character and is improving rapidly. Just as 4th ave in North Oak Park has a long way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 09:54 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
I don't think that med ctr designation is even official. Just the product of savvy investors and realtors to distinguish Oak Park when it was riddled with gangs and drugs
Actually, when I take pictures in my house, the phone says the pictues were taken in "Sacramento - Med Center" when I'm in North Oak Park proper, one street away from "Med Center" proper

So it's official in some way, sadly.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:17 AM

323 posts, read 1,008,681 times
Is the a map somewhere of all the Wright & Kimbrough tracts with years built?

Old 02-27-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Is the a map somewhere of all the Wright & Kimbrough tracts with years built?
Unfortunately map making was a lot more expensive 100 years ago and so I doubt such a document exists. There is a clever, but somewhat technical way to use Google Earth to get a visualization. If you go to the County of Sacramento GIS data page you can download a KML file with all the subdivisions in the county and open it in Google Earth. Then, simply isolate all the tracts labeled Wright & Kimbrough or 'WK' etc (tract naming has no proper standardization).

You will see color overlays for all of the tracts named after Wright & Kimbrough. To obtain house building dates you'd have to cross reference neighborhoods with data from Zillow etc.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:35 AM

323 posts, read 1,008,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay West View Post
Unfortunately map making was a lot more expensive 100 years ago and so I doubt such a document exists. There is a clever, but somewhat technical way to use Google Earth to get a visualization. If you go to the County of Sacramento GIS data page you can download a KML file with all the subdivisions in the county and open it in Google Earth. Then, simply isolate all the tracts labeled Wright & Kimbrough or 'WK' etc (tract naming has no proper standardization).

You will see color overlays for all of the tracts named after Wright & Kimbrough. To obtain house building dates you'd have to cross reference neighborhoods with data from Zillow etc.
Awesome, thanks already playing around with it. There are actually a few more W&K tracts in Oak Park.

Sub no 18th is 38th between 12th and 14th Ave. Central Oak Park! Some nice houses there if you look.

W & K Tract 29 is everything between Sac High and the Freeway, another nice area of North Oak Park.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:03 PM

264 posts, read 413,993 times
I thought Wright & Kimbrough only built in E. Sac, that's an interesting tid bit!

Did I understand you correctly they also developed 7th and 8th Boulevard Terrace in W. Tahoe Park? It does look like those Wright & Kimbrough tracts in N. Oak Park and E. Sac.

Also, all the light posts look the same in these areas, the greenish looking things (copper?), are these original to the W&K development? I remember reading they had to pave the streets, do all the utilities themselves, then later sold them to the city.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Did I understand you correctly they also developed 7th and 8th Boulevard Terrace in W. Tahoe Park? It does look like those Wright & Kimbrough tracts in N. Oak Park and E. Sac.
Yes those are Wright & Kimbrough homes. That particular area was named Boulevard Terrace and may show up separately from the WK tracts nearby due to its naming.

Quote:
Also, all the light posts look the same in these areas, the greenish looking things (copper?), are these original to the W&K development? I remember reading they had to pave the streets, do all the utilities themselves, then later sold them to the city.
They look historic but I don't know their exact origins. I've heard Boulevard Terrace once had Elm lined streets similar to Elmhurst but haven't seen a picture that verifies this.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:41 PM

Anybody know of any plans for the large lot on the corner of 34th and Broadway, right across the street from the new Broadway Triangle development?

Hopefully we can get some kind of large apartment building with ground floor retail.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:28 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Anybody know of any plans for the large lot on the corner of 34th and Broadway, right across the street from the new Broadway Triangle development?

Hopefully we can get some kind of large apartment building with ground floor retail.
That lot has been vacant for decades. I remember going by there everyday when I was a student at Sacramento High School in the late 90s.

I agree, I hope something like a four to five story mixed-use structure gets built there.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:41 PM

5 story minimum IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento