Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:43 AM

47 posts, read 107,262 times

Advertisements

I'm 29M, single, no family, making $75k and have a tiny bit saved up. New to Sac but have always heard it's a bargain by California standards. Figured things would be pretty decent for me and have dreams of owning a house, but I was shocked when a crappy little 2/1 on a busy street a couple blocks down went on sale for over $400k. That's beyond out of reach. Who the heck is buying these things? I'm renting a house that's the same size for $1,275, something doesn't compute! I work in Elk Grove so I'm pretty much restricted to anything south of the American River and along the 5/99 corridor. I've cruised around areas south downtown but decent areas are almost as pricey, and Elk Grove, well, lets just say bored soccer moms are nice from time to time but I'm not ready to make that a full time gig. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 01:53 PM

6,913 posts, read 8,287,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61987 View Post
I'm 29M, single, no family, making $75k and have a tiny bit saved up. New to Sac but have always heard it's a bargain by California standards. Figured things would be pretty decent for me and have dreams of owning a house, but I was shocked when a crappy little 2/1 on a busy street a couple blocks down went on sale for over $400k. That's beyond out of reach. Who the heck is buying these things? I'm renting a house that's the same size for $1,275, something doesn't compute! I work in Elk Grove so I'm pretty much restricted to anything south of the American River and along the 5/99 corridor. I've cruised around areas south downtown but decent areas are almost as pricey, and Elk Grove, well, lets just say bored soccer moms are nice from time to time but I'm not ready to make that a full time gig. What would you do?
It's a conundrum because the reality is there are a ton of homes, just not for sale, and a lot of those homes are owned by Bay Area investors that don't a give damn about Sacramento, so there they sit. And a lot of these types of neighborhoods are mostly rentals, marginal to run down, that could easily turn into decent to nice neighborhoods if the price point were just a bit lower, and those neighborhoods would turn into mostly owner-occupied neighborhoods.

You could take your chances and buy into a "bad" neighborhood and hope it gets better. They key is finding the least of the bad neighborhoods and finding one that has elements/attributes that would help the neighborhood move into the decent to good category like if it is near an employment center. Or if it is a neighborhood right next to the neighborhood that recently went from bad to maringal, or marginal to good. The adjacent neighborhood to such a neighborhood has more chances of improving.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-10-2016 at 03:02 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
Quote:
Welcome to the world. Pick your pleasures. Its all relevant. In my area, you might make about half as much, and the housing is also about half expensive.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:30 PM

264 posts, read 414,223 times
Plenty of affordability options if you open up your criteria to outside of just Downtown/Midtown. You have to sacrifice one factor out of the three: (1) price; (2) location; (3) house condition in most urban places. Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Don't know your debt or savings level, but on $75k you should be able to comfortably afford the ~$300k range @ current rates.

i.e., see <$350k in Sac current listings -- https://www.redfin.com/city/16409/CA...301:-121.52506

Still a good time to get into parts of N. Oak Park and Tahoe Park, $5 Uber to bars, 20 min commute to Elk Grove (against traffic). The area around Broadway & 34th is also seeing some revitalization.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:33 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
We're in a really sick situation where prices are absurdly cheap by Bay Area standards but horribly expensive by the standards of someone making a Sacramento area salary. Local governments don't want to do anything to scare off those Bay Area investors, no matter how much people on the low end of the income spectrum are suffering as a result. Not sure what to tell you other than wait for the next crash--we're dealing with a large-scale unregulated market that tends to eat itself once every decade or so. If you can time your purchase for the next point when people are selling to stop their bleeding, there may be deals to be had.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:05 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,883,088 times
"andrew61987", since you have admitted to being new in town, perhaps it would be best to rent for a while (a year or more) to get a sense of your new burg before you think about buying. Besides, home ownership isn't for everyone. You're young and single - time is on your side.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
Quote:
...a crappy little 2/1 on a busy street a couple blocks down went on sale for over $400k...I'm renting a house that's the same size for $1,275, something doesn't compute!
$1,275/mo x 12 months = $15,300/yr x 30 year mortgage = $459,000

and that's assuming no rent increases over 30 years (not reasonably possible) and no increase in housing prices

Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
Total cost of a $459,000 mortgage at 4% interest, not counting PMI: $788,000. So figure you could cover a $250K mortgage for about the same as $1275/month rent, all else being equal (which it rarely is.)

Old 07-11-2016, 10:53 AM

264 posts, read 414,223 times
+ utilities (~$100/mos for water+trash) + insurance (~$100-200/mos) + property taxes (~$250/mos on a $300k), so yes add another ~$500 or so to the rental figure vs. rent.

You are however building equity in the home rather than throwing that cash away.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:02 AM

136 posts, read 211,618 times
There's a difference between affordable and cheap. Sacramento is still affordable, especially compared to cities of a similar size on the coasts. I will say that most twenty somethings I see buying into the central area are doing so with significant parental help/investment. I also see people paying rents that were previously considered crazy for the area. That said, there's plenty of ghetto in Sacramento for cheap cheap cheap. You want reward for your investment? It's going to take some risk. Cake is for the lazy, real estate not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento