Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 09:53 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Lol what a garbage post. All people with goldens and labs are safe because you like your dog? Yeah ok. Tell that to my kid self when a dog I was walking got attacked by a golden.
Let me guess, small dog? Besides, it's extremely rare cases when goldens are aggressive like that. If they are, it's a genetic defect. Actual golden breeders know that and they always never breed ones who show aggressive traits like that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 09:10 AM

78 posts, read 103,439 times
If you look at FBI's number of reported crime for 2013 (the most recent year available), out of 72 California cities with a population of 100k or more, Sacramento ranks 10th in number of violent crimes per capita (at 65.6 per 10k people).

To answer OP's question, San Diego ranks 26th out of 72, at 39.3 violent crimes per 10k people.

BTW, Roseville is the safest city in greater Sacramento, at 20 violent crimes per 10k people. Irvine is the absolute safest "big" city in California, at a mere 4.8 violet crimes per 10k people.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:45 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0euser View Post
If you look at FBI's number of reported crime for 2013 (the most recent year available), out of 72 California cities with a population of 100k or more, Sacramento ranks 10th in number of violent crimes per capita (at 65.6 per 10k people).

To answer OP's question, San Diego ranks 26th out of 72, at 39.3 violent crimes per 10k people.

BTW, Roseville is the safest city in greater Sacramento, at 20 violent crimes per 10k people. Irvine is the absolute safest "big" city in California, at a mere 4.8 violet crimes per 10k people.
FBI crime stats can be misleading. For example, Nevada is always at, or near the top of states for violent crime, but when you dig through the data you will find that there is a far higher rate of domestic violence than in most other states which drives up the overall crime rate. If you moved in to a neighborhood where all your neighbors beat their spouses it would probably present little or no danger to you. On the other hand, if you move to a city or state where the violent crime rate is driven by many incidents of robbery or drive by shootings you might do well to live elsewhere if possible.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:11 AM

78 posts, read 103,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
FBI crime stats can be misleading. For example, Nevada is always at, or near the top of states for violent crime, but when you dig through the data you will find that there is a far higher rate of domestic violence than in most other states which drives up the overall crime rate. If you moved in to a neighborhood where all your neighbors beat their spouses it would probably present little or no danger to you. On the other hand, if you move to a city or state where the violent crime rate is driven by many incidents of robbery or drive by shootings you might do well to live elsewhere if possible.
Sacramento's high violent crime rank is driven by an abnormally large number of aggravated assaults. I guess all manners of sin could fit under the aggravated assault heading.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0euser View Post
Sacramento's high violent crime rank is driven by an abnormally large number of aggravated assaults. I guess all manners of sin could fit under the aggravated assault heading.
yeah, pretty much. The FBI's UCR defines aggravated assault as follows:
"An unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury. The UCR Program further specifies that this type of assault is usually accompanied by the use of a weapon or by other means likely to produce death or great bodily harm. Attempted aggravated assault that involves the display of—or threat to use—a gun, knife, or other weapon is included in this crime category because serious personal injury would likely result if the assault were completed. When aggravated assault and larceny-theft occur together, the offense falls under the category of robbery"

The tough part is figuring out how an individual agency decides to define a crime, for example - when I worked in a Northern California Police Dept., the new chief anxious to prove that he could improve the crime rate arbitrarily changed all vehicle burglaries into simple theft from a vehicle lol. God only knows how many agencies play fast and loose with the UCR guidelines.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvn View Post
A lot of people have mentioned the crime in Sacramento, and I have looked at the crime map and statistics, etc. and to me it seems like a lot but not really anymore than where I live in San Diego County. I was wondering maybe its the type of crime that is occurring that scare people? Is there a lot of shootings? Are there a lot of gangs? I look at the maps and I see a lot of mix of where crime happens. Are there safer neighborhoods in Sacramento to look for? I have lived in nice neighborhoods, and the ghetto, so I have seen a lot of different things in my life and I just wonder if it is worse than when I lived in the ghetto of East LA?

My question is this for those of you who live in Sacramento do you personally feel safe? What neighborhoods would you recommend living in that have less violent crimes and gangs?

Thank you in advance.
I don't live in Sacramento but my wife and I live in the burbs and visit Sacramento quite a bit to dine. We've never felt threatened.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:20 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities In The USA | Cities Journal

Sacramento is not dangerous. See this list.
Stockton, OTOH is #10 and seems like nearly evening on KCRA something has Done Something Bad In Stockton.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:26 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
Stockton, OTOH is #10 and seems like nearly evening on KCRA something has Done Something Bad In Stockton.
Thankfully there is nearly 50 miles of greenbelt and farmland separating Sacramento from Stockton.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:47 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Thankfully there is nearly 50 miles of greenbelt and farmland separating Sacramento from Stockton.
Not really. Elk Grove and Stockton are like 30 minutes apart.

That being said, Sacramento is fairly dangerous and has a very understaffed police force.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Not really. Elk Grove and Stockton are like 30 minutes apart.

That being said, Sacramento is fairly dangerous and has a very understaffed police force.
Didn't you just say this in another thread?

"As long as you are not walking down a sketchy boulevard at midnight, Sacramento is not too bad on a street level. There are pockets of low income apartments/section 8 areas that are very sketchy and probably not safe to explore after dark. Midtown is extremely rowdy at night too. There are always drunks, fighting, screaming, yelling, and puking on the weekends."

That doesn't sound 'fairly dangerous". And what do you think having a very understaffed police force has to do with the crime rate? Cops can't prevent crime any more than a firefighter can prevent fires. You need cops to mitigate the damage and clean up the mess, but if you want them to prevent crime you need to plant one on every corner 24/7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento