Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 AM

5 posts, read 4,830 times

Advertisements

@wburg Fantastic feedback. I'll definitely look into those areas as well.

In Chicago, the further away from the city, the better home/lot size can be had at very good value. I was guessing that this paradigm would apply there as well. We are used to driving 40-60 minutes for work out here. I don't mind 40 minute commutes, so our community selection will be vast.

One of the reasons I was interested in Vacaville or any other nearby suburb, was that it was somewhat central to Sacramento and SF. We would probably fly in/out of SF since there are no direct flights from Sac to Chi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 AM

661 posts, read 691,132 times
With your budget you can afford Davis, which would be miles better than Vacaville if you wanted to live on the western side of the metro. Still, like others have said, save yourself the daily commute and look into the Arden area. Many neighborhoods there feed into great schools and the river is close by for great recreation opportunities. As far as hockey goes, Skatetown in Roseville/Citrus Heights would be your best bet.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:17 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
I'm familiar with Chicago, the difference is mainly one of scale--the entire Sacramento metro area has fewer people than the city of Chicago alone. At Sacramento's scale, Vacaville is not considered a nearby suburb, it's a suburb of the East Bay. Once you get too close to the Bay Area, especially right now during a big Bay housing boom, prices stop dropping and start rising, well out of proportion to the amenities available in that city. If your workplace is near Cal Expo, that's on the very eastern edge of the city of Sacramento, so you're very close to some very comfortable postwar suburbs (built from the 1950s-1980s.) The kind of older streetcar/railroad suburb you find in Chicagoland stop well within the Sacramento city limits--places like East Sacramento and Land Park kind of remind me of Elmhurst or Oak Park in the Chicago area, and they're within 3 miles of downtown Sacramento.

I think there are direct flights from Sacramento to Chicago (O'Hare or Midway), it is not necessary to use SFO for a direct flight, plus you'd lose as much time driving from Vacaville to SFO as you'd save from a two-leg hop via Denver.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:17 PM

379 posts, read 785,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelin58 View Post
@wburg Fantastic feedback. I'll definitely look into those areas as well.

In Chicago, the further away from the city, the better home/lot size can be had at very good value. I was guessing that this paradigm would apply there as well. We are used to driving 40-60 minutes for work out here. I don't mind 40 minute commutes, so our community selection will be vast.

One of the reasons I was interested in Vacaville or any other nearby suburb, was that it was somewhat central to Sacramento and SF. We would probably fly in/out of SF since there are no direct flights from Sac to Chi.
I'm from Chicago and used to live in Davis. I flew home to Chicago nonstop all the time from SMF. The Sacramento airport offers nonstops to ORD on United and Midway on Southwest.

As someone who's lived in Vacaville before, I wouldn't recommend it unless you worked in the immediate area. It's a whole lot of nothing - generic strip malls, chain restaurants, and a military base. Not worth a 45-min minimum commute. Roseville is the best option on your list, and also give East Sacramento and Davis a look. As others have said, Sac is much smaller than the Chicago area, with much less need to commute long distances.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 4,830 times
I want to thank everyone for their feedback, very helpful. My wife and I are traveling there this weekend to drive the area. I work in the homebuilding industry so I may be travelling to the Bay area on occasion. So I will probably factor that in somewhat...not sure if their offices will actually move there, but they are tied into a lease for at least 3 years.

Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento