Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:35 AM

256 posts, read 367,481 times

Advertisements

Tule fog is a much bigger issue out in rural areas. What you'll experience in Carmichael will just be occasional bouts of regular old fog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:48 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
And you'll never, ever have to shovel fog off your driveway!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:44 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I've lived in the region for more than 40 years, only seen one tarantula not in a zoo or a pet shop, and that was in Redding.
I've only seen them in the southern ca mountains & high desert.

The tule fog is pretty rare and not a particularly big deal when it does happen.
As noted, the tule fog is primarily a low elevation, ground water, country thing. There is fog in the city, but nothing compared to the countryside. Around the Sacto region, you will find soupy tule fog on the West Sac bypass heading into Davis, Rancho Murrieta/Heald &/or heading out to Yuba City/Marysville. I'm sure there are plenty of other places around here. Any farmland.

Tule fog is very dangerous down in the central San Joaquin Valley along i-5 & 99 and everywhere inbetween from the base of the grapevine up until about Modesto/Manteca. I lived down near Tulare County for many years, and witnessed & worked (as an ER RN/MICN) multi-vehicle pileups. Very tragic. And sometimes unnecessary due to unsafe speed. When driving in the soup, I always drove behind a slow moving vehicle & stayed back far enough that I could just make out the headlights. That sometimes meant that all I could see was the front of my car.

A word of warning. In my "know it all" youth, I once tried to pass on a 2 laned road, lined with large oak trees. Yea, I wound up in the oncoming lane, facing the opposite direction I was traveling on the side of the road. I completely missed the tree & the car I almost hit head on. Never again. There's been many, many deaths along that rural road. Car vs tree. I do believe it has finally been expanded to a highway with 4 lanes.

Driving in the tule fog is not easy or fun & is a BIG deal.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:46 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Well, high flood risk. One of the highest in US.
Compared to all cities or cities the size? Historically or currently? Sacramento certainly has a history of flooding (you can take a walking tour in Old Sacramento that includes structures that were built at a lower level, until floods came). Obviously varies widely by your exact location, including proximity to the Sacramento or American Rivers. I'd guess there are many towns and cities along the Mississippi Valley, for example, that have had more floods in the past several years than has had Sacramento. The levee and drainage systems have reduced the threat in Sac though do not eliminate it.

http://www.safca.org/floodinsurance/floodriskmap.htm

There may have been some localized flooding during the time I lived in the area, but I think at most it was a few streets closed. I was there for just 9 years, however. ' To me, the heat would be more of a deterrent than the risk of flooding.

I agree that Tule fog can be dangerous, mainly in the winter, though much more outside of the city. Can affect many, many areas in the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys. Many vehicles don't slow down when they should, which results in accidents. Never greatly affected me when I lived in Sacramento except when I drove to San Francisco or, even more, down I-5 to L.A. Driving east, I was usually up above the fog line fairly quickly. Need to keep track of weather reports. There were very few days when the fog affected my routine, but if I regularly drove down I-5 or east on I-80 it could have.

Last edited by Samoi137; 05-22-2015 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 12:20 PM

256 posts, read 367,481 times
Sacramento is in fact at high risk for catastrophic flooding. We have levees, but they are old levees.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 PM

290 posts, read 544,521 times
AT 28 I would think you'd want to live closer to downtown (midtown). On the other hand if you have family or just prefer the suburbs Carmichael isn't bad but there are better suburbs. If you want a lot of amenities like shopping , restaurants etc you might consider roseville area. It has lots of great retail, restaurants, the best mall in the sac area and a water slide park. The nicest suburb (especially for families) in my opinion is Folsom but that's just my personal preference. Don't worry about spiders. There aren't very many scary creepy crawlers in this area.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:53 PM

40 posts, read 57,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
And you'll never, ever have to shovel fog off your driveway!
This is true.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:00 PM

40 posts, read 57,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev View Post
AT 28 I would think you'd want to live closer to downtown (midtown). On the other hand if you have family or just prefer the suburbs Carmichael isn't bad but there are better suburbs. If you want a lot of amenities like shopping , restaurants etc you might consider roseville area. It has lots of great retail, restaurants, the best mall in the sac area and a water slide park. The nicest suburb (especially for families) in my opinion is Folsom but that's just my personal preference. Don't worry about spiders. There aren't very many scary creepy crawlers in this area.
Little wary seeing that there's a much bigger flood risk in Sacramento, but I haven't ruled it out.

I'd be moving with family, and I've always lived in suburban areas. Does Roseville get any of that delta breeze? It looks a good bit further out than Carmichael. I like Carmichael because it's close enough that it might catch some delta breeze but it's just outside the high risk of flooding area. Closer to the city too.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:28 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
I really don't know when was the last big flood in Sac. Been a while http://www.safca.org/history.html Flood risk, as noted, varies greatly by location. In some areas, particularly to the east, not enough to worry about IMHO. Other things to worry about. There are certainly towns in the region that have a higher flood risk.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:33 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark17 View Post
Little wary seeing that there's a much bigger flood risk in Sacramento, but I haven't ruled it out.

I'd be moving with family, and I've always lived in suburban areas. Does Roseville get any of that delta breeze? It looks a good bit further out than Carmichael. I like Carmichael because it's close enough that it might catch some delta breeze but it's just outside the high risk of flooding area. Closer to the city too.
Not to minimize Sacramento's flood risk, but we have been improving our levees for the last 10 years, major improvements. Areas of town, like Natomas are free to build again because the federal gov't put a moratorium on buildings new structures until the levees were improved - thats been done, moratorium lifted.

Carmichael gets more of the Delta Breeze than Roseville. All the people I've ever know who used to live in other parts of the USA have said Sacramento summers were no worse than where they came from and better because of the drier humidity(low dew points), and cool evenings, nights and mornings.

The only people who have ever complained to me were always from either the SF Bay Area, or Seattle. And I know people who used to live in Seattle and SF, who moved to Sacramento specifically because they preferred our weather over theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento