Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 10,984 times

Advertisements

Good morning California! We are a mature couple relocating from Indiana looking for small rental house in Susanville / Herlong area. Professional/ financially stable nonsmoking. I'm a nurse, DH is a contractor at the Army depot. Need a 1 or 2 BR house with fenced yard for our lazy blood hound. Outside dog does not bark, dig, chase or smoke. Sleeps... a lot - see slug. Any place like this? What is the going rate for something like this?

We like to fish and visit local points of interest. What is there to do in the area other than Reno? THANKS!! //pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 PM

111 posts, read 466,300 times
susanville is a horrible town, you could throw a rock from one end to the other. have you been there? have you visited? i would recommend visiting first. house prices arent very steep. but thats cuz.....um its susanvlle. if youre into little hole in the wall boring towns, then susanville is the place for you.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
Susanville isn't a town for everyone. If you need exciting nightlife or vast shopping opportunities, then Susanville is not for you. But if you like good schools, low crime, clean air, good neighbors, and endless outdoor recreational activities, then it might be the town for you. That is why we like it!

If you need a rental I suggest you call the rental management companies:
Mt. Lassen Properties 530-257-8087 NORTHERN CALIFORNIA Real Estate, Susanville California Real Estate, Northern California Rentals - Susanville Realtor, Lassen County Realtor, Northeastern California Real Estate

Susanville Real Estate Susanville Real Estate - Realtor

The Lassen County Times also have rental listings. Website of Lassen County Times & Westwood PinePress

Also contact the chamber of commerce for a relocation packet:
The Lassen County Chamber of Commerce

Good luck on the move. Luckily the worst part of winter has passed, so you shouldn't have too many weather related issues while moving.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 11,841 times
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogexx View Post
susanville is a horrible town, you could throw a rock from one end to the other. have you been there? have you visited? i would recommend visiting first. house prices arent very steep. but thats cuz.....um its susanvlle. if youre into little hole in the wall boring towns, then susanville is the place for you.
yes it is a rather small place, but then we sort of pride ourselves in our ability to think of things to do rather than follow others as in the larger cities

Old 03-10-2008, 10:46 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,055 times
It is a small town. It's like going back in town. I think the only exciting thing is the Walmart. There are some cute places.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:24 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iba4767 View Post
yes it is a rather small place, but then we sort of pride ourselves in our ability to think of things to do rather than follow others as in the larger cities
Yes, I grew up in Westwood and still miss it to this day!

My daughter has heard me talk of living there as a child and teenager and she asks all the time.... "Without the worldwide web being invented yet, and Atari's PONG being the only home video system, what in the world did yall DO?" It cracks me up, but I just smile at her and tell her how we actually went *gasp* outside and found FUN stuff to do, like hike, bike, fish, swim, boat, water-ski, picnic (and without telling her the truly fun teenage stuff was to party at the keggers on the weekends with ALL the rest of the kids!)

Ahhh those were the days eh? Wow do I miss Lassen County!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 17,626 times
Default Moving to Herlong, Janesville, Doyle, CA

We will be relocating to the Herlong, CA area next month and want to know a little more about the area. My wife has a job offer at FCI Herlong and we don't want to live too far away from the prison but not next door either! Also Janesville or Doyle would be OK.
If anyone knows of any rentals within this area please let us know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
You realize that you are about to fall off the edge of the known world.
There really is no Janesville, and Doyle? Well, Doyle is Doyle, and Herlong is Herlong.
It is hard to describe either place, and be polite about it, so I won't try.
Do you like, 4x4ing, dirtbiking, horses, That is good, cause that is about all there is to do there.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 17,626 times
We have suspected that but we are moving there for a great job opportunity for my wife who has been out of work here in Florida for 2.5 YEARS !!! If mini Las Vegas (aka Reno) is where civilization starts then it is not too far away. So do you know of any rental properties? Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
Alot of people that work at Herlong take the bus to and from work each day. The Herlong Depot shuttle picks up at the Walmart in Susanville, out by the CHP station in Johnstonville, and in front of the Chevron in Janesville. The commute from Susanville to Herlong is about 35 minutes in the good weather. There are a few other ride share programs on too.

I am no fan of Doyle or Herlong. Both of those communities are very depressed and run down. You really have to see it to believe it. There are some great people out there, but many live in poverty that you don't think exsists in this country.

Janesville is a nice little community. You do have to drive into town for alot of things. That can be a huge pain if you have older kids that are involved in alot of activities.

I listed some info in a post at the top of this thread. You can find more info here:

Search Susanville, Janesville, Standish Real Estate Listings For Sale

You can also get a list from Holly at DW Property Management 530-252-4663 or Kari at Susanville Property Management at 530-257-7368. They are both very nice and could probably email you a list.

The Jenkins usually have rental property listed for Herlong, Doyle, and Milford and the surrounding areas:Providing Real Estate Services in Lassen and Plumas County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento