Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering relocation to Sacramento, seeking advice on local job market, financial services job opportunities, 50-60k income for financial services in Sacramento

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM

22 posts, read 72,047 times

Advertisements

Greetinga Sacramento. It's a wonderful place we hope to be able to relocate to soon but..... we need jobs!

I have worked in the sales, mortgage, and stockbrokerage industries (i.e. financial services) and am interested in what the job market looks like in Sacramento. Can anyone 'in the know' shed a little light on what's going on in the area right now. What industries/areas are hiring? I've read alot about so many people leaving though I'm assuming there are just as many (or more) coming into the area.

We used to live in SoCal but actually like Nothern Cal just as much if not more. Davis is great as are many of the areas in and around Sac. We're not interested in buying a home for at least a few more years so we don't need to make a fortune. How difficult is it to pull down 50-60k in Sacramento working in sales or financial services? Who are the primary employers? (other than state Gov't)

Thanks so much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 03:56 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
I work in natural resources/resource management and technology and Sacramento just always seems to pop up in my line of work.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:52 PM

590 posts, read 932,067 times
I don't have the answers to all your questions but I do know this: Sacramento is in the top ten of the most overpriced housing markets in the country. Mortgage jobs and anything associated with real estate is drying up faster than Lake Mead. Sales positions, like the economy, are stagnant. You're probably more up to date on the stock market than I am but I think we all know it's not good. Plus, Sacramento isn't exactly the center of the financial universe like NYC so I don't know what being a stockbroker would get you here.
The largest employer here is the govt. but the governor just enacted a hiring freeze on govt. jobs so no luck there. I have no idea what the private sector is like but if you're good with numbers you could always work as a CPA.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 PM

85 posts, read 295,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
I have no idea what the private sector is like but if you're good with numbers you could always work as a CPA.
"Good with numbers?" I was under the impression that to work as a CPA you needed some type of education and license?

Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 AM

29 posts, read 124,743 times
Quote:
I don't have the answers to all your questions but I do know this: Sacramento is in the top ten of the most overpriced housing markets in the country. Mortgage jobs and anything associated with real estate is drying up faster than Lake Mead. Sales positions, like the economy, are stagnant. You're probably more up to date on the stock market than I am but I think we all know it's not good. Plus, Sacramento isn't exactly the center of the financial universe like NYC so I don't know what being a stockbroker would get you here.
The largest employer here is the govt. but the governor just enacted a hiring freeze on govt. jobs so no luck there. I have no idea what the private sector is like but if you're good with numbers you could always work as a CPA.
Have a source for "Sacramento is in the top ten of the most overpriced housing markets in the country"? With the median single family residence price in Sacramento currently at approximately $265,000, I find the claim hard to believe...

Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
The California Department of Corrections is hiring right now. They are essential services and not affected by the hiring freeze so far.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayce29 View Post
Have a source for "Sacramento is in the top ten of the most overpriced housing markets in the country"? With the median single family residence price in Sacramento currently at approximately $265,000, I find the claim hard to believe...
Sure, no problem. Wanna question me some more? Looks like your $265K figure is a little off. Unless it's Forbes that's wrong.

(Go to the bottom of the page)
America's most overpriced home markets - Buy a House: MLS Listings & Home Buying Tips - MSN Real Estate

Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika>Kimi View Post
"Good with numbers?" I was under the impression that to work as a CPA you needed some type of education and license?
You take things too literally. "Good with numbers" means you're good at math and calculations. And unless advanced math comes naturally easy to you it goes without saying that education is the first step in becoming a CPA.However, a license just means you passed the necessary exam, you don't need a masters to that.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:01 AM

32 posts, read 110,623 times
Well, just how bad can it be if I got hired over the internet without ever having been seen? I live in Pittsburgh.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:15 PM

29 posts, read 124,743 times
Quote:
Sure, no problem. Wanna question me some more? Looks like your $265K figure is a little off. Unless it's Forbes that's wrong.

(Go to the bottom of the page)
America's most overpriced home markets - Buy a House: MLS Listings & Home Buying Tips - MSN Real Estate
Ya, I'll question you some more.

First, you're sourcing an article that shows the Sacto area median home price is $374,800, which is laughably incorrect at present. Perhaps you're sourcing outdated material, given that the median home price in Sacramento has declined 27% just in the past year?

Second, the caption under the pic on the left references "the most expensive home sales of 2006," and the picture in the middle of the page references "Talk about it: Give us your 2007 market predictions." Are you seriously citing a two year old article as any kind of authority, given the bust of the largest national housing bubble in U.S. history over that time period?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento