Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:53 PM

318 posts, read 337,936 times

Advertisements

Been living in Bayarea for 4 months now, i'm from Houston, visited La & Sd plenty of times before moving to the Bayarea without ever visiting. I went on a road trip to visit Sacramento to check out the city and watch the rockets play the Kings. Went to old sac, Davis, Folsom, midtown areas.

I left impressed, after getting bad opinions of sac, from people in the Bayarea. Being from Houston I loved the country feel of the outskirts/suburbs, and the fact that you can still drive into the city easy when you need a fix. Only bad thing is It made me miss my truck that I got rid of before I left for the Bayarea.

I know the city has crime and gangs. But I was shocked at how people made me think I was going to a desert type of town with nothing to do and boring.

(austin) with Austin being the capitol of Texas, I prefer Sac more, because even though Austin has music and more night life, you cant beat going to SF, NAPA, Tahoe, RENO & quick flights to SD, LA VEGAS.

-new arena was packed, it's nice, a lot of energy

-folks seemed wayyyyy nicer than the bayarea, more diverse, laid back

-you can still have a truck here

-midtown is super nice so many places to eat, nice older homes

-a lot of parks

-good suburbs to raise kids

-people just seemed more down to earth easy going not in a rush, and not always worried about their next move

-old sac was nice, the capital was nice to see

-Davis seemed like the perfect little town to live in, with a high Quality of life. (looking form the outside in)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 10:42 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
Alot of people who bash sacramento are very ignorant. They never set foot in Sacramento or just viewed the city on google maps and gave their best educated opinion. I use to hate it up here as a kid, but now as an adult, i love it. There's alot of things to do out here and it's relatively safe for a big city. The only things i dislike is the rising COL and increased traffic. But hey, that's the bad thing about a growing city, I guess.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:33 PM

6,909 posts, read 8,284,998 times
houstonview, Great post!

Next time you visit you from the Bay Area you might want to try taking the Capitol Corridor Train (10-12 trains per day).

It connects San Jose(downtown/Arena), Santa Clara(University), Santa Clara(49ers stadium), Hayward, Oakland(Coliseum), Oakland(downtown-Jack London Sq), Emeryville(transfer point to SF via Amtrak bus which is included in your ticket via the Bay Bridge), Berkeley(4th Street), Richmond(transfer point with BART), Martinez(downtown), Suisun City/Fairfield, Davis(downtown) Sacramento(Downtown), Roseville(1-2 trains per day) and Auburn(1-2 trains per day).

Sac's train station is 1 1/2 blocks from Golden One Center, and Old Sac.

I just love this train, the time always goes by so fast as the train is very smooth, clean and comfortable with free wifi. You can bring your bike on the train.

One very cool reason to visit Sacramento in the summer is to raft down the American River! Good reason to bring your truck,

Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Alot of people who bash sacramento are very ignorant. They never set foot in Sacramento or just viewed the city on google maps and gave their best educated opinion. I use to hate it up here as a kid, but now as an adult, i love it. There's alot of things to do out here and it's relatively safe for a big city. The only things i dislike is the rising COL and increased traffic. But hey, that's the bad thing about a growing city, I guess.
Yeah me and my wife honestly feel in love with the city, we're late 20 and early 30. We plan on finding jobs there when our lease is up.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 AM

144 posts, read 196,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
Been living in Bayarea for 4 months now, i'm from Houston, visited La & Sd plenty of times before moving to the Bayarea without ever visiting. I went on a road trip to visit Sacramento to check out the city and watch the rockets play the Kings. Went to old sac, Davis, Folsom, midtown areas.

I left impressed, after getting bad opinions of sac, from people in the Bayarea. Being from Houston I loved the country feel of the outskirts/suburbs, and the fact that you can still drive into the city easy when you need a fix. Only bad thing is It made me miss my truck that I got rid of before I left for the Bayarea.

I know the city has crime and gangs. But I was shocked at how people made me think I was going to a desert type of town with nothing to do and boring.

(austin) with Austin being the capitol of Texas, I prefer Sac more, because even though Austin has music and more night life, you cant beat going to SF, NAPA, Tahoe, RENO & quick flights to SD, LA VEGAS.

-new arena was packed, it's nice, a lot of energy

-folks seemed wayyyyy nicer than the bayarea, more diverse, laid back

-you can still have a truck here

-midtown is super nice so many places to eat, nice older homes

-a lot of parks

-good suburbs to raise kids

-people just seemed more down to earth easy going not in a rush, and not always worried about their next move

-old sac was nice, the capital was nice to see

-Davis seemed like the perfect little town to live in, with a high Quality of life. (looking form the outside in)

Completely agree with your entire post.... I'm originally from deep South Texas (Rio Grande Valley) but have been living in Austin for 3.5 years now..... Growing up I also lived in Woodland CA which is 8 miles from Davis and 13 miles from Sac..... As much as I like Austin, it's just gotten way too crowded here.... over 1 Million people in a city that is meant to hold 500,000 ..... I visited Sac / Davis / Woodland and SF two years ago and still loved it..... I'm considering moving back up there to either Woodland or Davis if I can make the right job opportunity happen...

Old 11-28-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
Completely agree with your entire post.... I'm originally from deep South Texas (Rio Grande Valley) but have been living in Austin for 3.5 years now..... Growing up I also lived in Woodland CA which is 8 miles from Davis and 13 miles from Sac..... As much as I like Austin, it's just gotten way too crowded here.... over 1 Million people in a city that is meant to hold 500,000 ..... I visited Sac / Davis / Woodland and SF two years ago and still loved it..... I'm considering moving back up there to either Woodland or Davis if I can make the right job opportunity happen...
yes its a great town I'm surprised it doesn't have more hype. Austin is nice but if I had to pick it would be sac if I was past my party days or had a family. which we do have a young child even though were young, nice cool walkable areas with restaurants and few bars is just enough for us to have night type of fun.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:11 PM

Oh and I heard about the farmers markets in Davis on sat. and the vineyards not too far from sac from a co-worker today.

The farmers market seems really cool my wife would love going on the weekend.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:43 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,665,695 times
@houstonview, I appreciate your review and positive portrayal of Sacramento. Generally folks from the Bay Area have a condescending view of Sacramento and are surprised at how nice it really is when they visit. As a native Californian who was born and raised in So Cal and lived in Visalia (San Joaquin Valley), I concur with your assessment of Sacramento. I've lived here nearly 13 years and found it to have a good balance of big city amenities with a smaller town feel. From where I live, I could be downtown in 5 to 7 minutes or in the Delta in 10 minutes.

You mentioned farmers markets. Yes, Davis has a great farmers market. There are several good ones in Sacramento proper as well. Here's a directory of farmers markets in the Sacramento area:

Farmers Markets - America's Farm-to-Fork Capital, Sacramento California

Old 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
If you think Austin is crowded, you might want to reconsider Sacramento. It actually has a higher population density than Austin and the metro area is quite large and sprawly.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,877,269 times
A lot of Central Valley towns and cities get bashed by those who live in the Coastal Metro Areas,even though their are many nice, affordable and safe communities to live in here in the Central Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento