Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,288 times

Advertisements

You are going to find more homes in safe areas in your price range in Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, Diamond Springs and Placerville - IF - you can handle being that far out. As well, check Rancho Murieta!!! They may just have something in your price range, and it's a wonderful gated community! Stay away from Wilton, which is near R.M. A nice "country" feel but comes with what appears to be a nasty attitude toward newcomers. We found homes were way overpriced for a major flood zone (we looked at a few homes there). People & realtors there have given their property values way too much credit. Elk Grove has great neighborhoods, and bad neighborhoods - but you may also find something there in your price range that is attractive, relatively new, and in a strong community (economically). The "Pocket" community just south of Land Park can have some hidden gems, as well as East Sac. Hope this info helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
...they must leave in the next several months in order to not end up homeless some day
Quote:
If specific cities, price ranges, neighborhood safety tolerance, lifestyle/age of the folks looking to move, yard size and # of bed/bathrooms is not specific enough when looking for suggestions on places to focus on to live - what information is missing? I'll have to ask them about their blood type, I don't know that, but I probably should.
These just don't sound like people who can afford to buy anywhere. You might want to start by asking them why they need to move in the next several months from a home they bought. And then ask them how they plan to pay for a 3/2 home in the Sacramento area?

If you just enjoy gathering data for fun, then why not just say that? This yarn about a couple who supposedly has a house that has earned them several hundred thousands of dollars in equity in the last few years - yet must move in the next few months or be homeless - does not add up. I think the truth is missing here.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:47 PM

130,335 posts, read 12,112,869 times
On a more personal note, I would be very reluctant to recommend any town for a family member, These are decisions that need to be made by the people who are going to live in the new home & new town. A casual recommendation is fine. But it almost seems as if they want you to find the "perfect" place, & imo, that is unrealistic.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:39 AM

865 posts, read 1,828,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
On a more personal note, I would be very reluctant to recommend any town for a family member, These are decisions that need to be made by the people who are going to live in the new home & new town. A casual recommendation is fine. But it almost seems as if they want you to find the "perfect" place, & imo, that is unrealistic.
Thanks. I'm just doing some research in terms of COL, safety, tax research for the other states they are considering. They are very overwhelmed and asking for help with narrowing down their options to start visiting locales. They came up with quite a list of places near, and far, near other friends and family and near current area (unfortunately not very near due to COL). We suggested the more charming Sac areas we have visited that they did not know about to add to the list and that it is not so far from where they are now and other family members that would require plane rides. Also we have had several friends relocate to the area who are pleased, too. However the area in and of itself is so vast to a newcomer that I want to help narrow down the focus even within this area. They will be asking the same of their friends in one of the other cities, to help narrow down the neighborhoods and 'burbs there, too. Then visit and see what it is like.

I have great sympathy for what they are facing, and I appreciate that they are asking for help. They know now that they did not make the right decision last time, some reasons of which could have been predicted and some could not have been; so I think are at a point where they are wanting a second set of heads to help weed through things. And of course we care about family and want to help as much as we can; but ultimately it is up to them.

And since this is a forum for such questions, that I have always found helpful in the past, as well as help other newbies in the SV area, this is one of my first go-to spots.

Thanks to those who enjoy helping for providing such useful information, I do appreciate it.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:41 AM

865 posts, read 1,828,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelingr8 View Post
You are going to find more homes in safe areas in your price range in Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, Diamond Springs and Placerville - IF - you can handle being that far out. As well, check Rancho Murieta!!! They may just have something in your price range, and it's a wonderful gated community! Stay away from Wilton, which is near R.M. A nice "country" feel but comes with what appears to be a nasty attitude toward newcomers. We found homes were way overpriced for a major flood zone (we looked at a few homes there). People & realtors there have given their property values way too much credit. Elk Grove has great neighborhoods, and bad neighborhoods - but you may also find something there in your price range that is attractive, relatively new, and in a strong community (economically). The "Pocket" community just south of Land Park can have some hidden gems, as well as East Sac. Hope this info helps!
Thank you! These are some places they have thought of and some they haven't.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:08 PM

130,335 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'm just doing some research in terms of COL, safety, tax research for the other states they are considering. They are very overwhelmed and asking for help with narrowing down their options to start visiting locales. They came up with quite a list of places near, and far, near other friends and family and near current area (unfortunately not very near due to COL). We suggested the more charming Sac areas we have visited that they did not know about to add to the list and that it is not so far from where they are now and other family members that would require plane rides. Also we have had several friends relocate to the area who are pleased, too. However the area in and of itself is so vast to a newcomer that I want to help narrow down the focus even within this area. They will be asking the same of their friends in one of the other cities, to help narrow down the neighborhoods and 'burbs there, too. Then visit and see what it is like.

I have great sympathy for what they are facing, and I appreciate that they are asking for help. They know now that they did not make the right decision last time, some reasons of which could have been predicted and some could not have been; so I think are at a point where they are wanting a second set of heads to help weed through things. And of course we care about family and want to help as much as we can; but ultimately it is up to them.

And since this is a forum for such questions, that I have always found helpful in the past, as well as help other newbies in the SV area, this is one of my first go-to spots.

Thanks to those who enjoy helping for providing such useful information, I do appreciate it.
got it. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2021, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 525 times
Hi Wintermomma: Well, I see it's been over three years since your OP, and am wondering about the outcome. Did they move to the Sac area in the end? What factors decided it for them? Are they pleased with their decision, and why? Just wondering, since I'm also exploring a potential move and Sac county is one of my places to research. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento