Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 08:30 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times

Advertisements

So has anyone been to Rio Linda lately?

Last time I was there in 2011 when my father was alive and living there. He had an older home 3 bed 2 bath 2 car garage with 5 acres. He was in the older part of Rio Linda by a salvage yard. Lots of space in between neighbors there and most had acres of land for raising horses, chickens etc.
On weekends we used to always go to Roseville flea market (Denios) Always found good stuff there until things went downhill.

There used to be before that time lots of places to go fishing for large mouth bass in the late 70s and rice fields. By 2011 development and new subdivisions with traffic signals had started closing in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 01:35 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
The last time I was there--I couldn't find it. Just a sea of housing developments with houses that all looked the same.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
The last time I was there--I couldn't find it. Just a sea of housing developments with houses that all looked the same.

Those are the new subdivisions that have popped up along with traffic signals.
The part I am referring to is the old part (ranch style homes) where neighbors are about 2 blocks apart and have about 5 acres of land their back yard or around their home. Lots of people in that area have horses and raise chickens with some agriculture.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:05 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Those are the new subdivisions that have popped up along with traffic signals.
The part I am referring to is the old part (ranch style homes) where neighbors are about 2 blocks apart and have about 5 acres of land their back yard or around their home. Lots of people in that area have horses and raise chickens with some agriculture.
It's still like that in the older parts. We buy pullets from a Russian who raises Chickens in Rio Linda, he has nice chickens if you are ever looking for good layers let me know I will give you his number.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's still like that in the older parts. We buy pullets from a Russian who raises Chickens in Rio Linda, he has nice chickens if you are ever looking for good layers let me know I will give you his number.

Thank you for that kind offer. My father who is now deceased (An old timer lived till 99 years old short of 100 years old by a week) would have definitely taken you up on that.
He raised chickens, exotic chickens if you want to call them that (I am no expert in this area)
He raised other different types of birds, ducks, pheasants, chuckers, pheasants, squab, pigs for sale and consumption. He also had a pond full of fish for fishing. He grew all kinds of vegetables and had different fruit trees along with watermelon and different squashes. Simply amazing as well as different plants.
I am no green thumb.

I don't even know what pullets are but he would know if he was still alive.

He loved to go to Denios in Roseville also down by the railroad yard by PFG road?

Even after a while the Denios flea market went downhill selling all of this cheap flea market stuff that you can get at any local flea market such as San Jose or Solano Co. Drive-in. The stuff at Denios was much more unique and not of the mass produced flea market merchandise that flooded the markets in the later years. I can't even imagaine what it is now

Now on another note when I used to go up to Denios almost weekly say 10+ years ago to the produce market, I noticed that all the farmers/vendors/sellers were Russian. Before that the farmers/sellers/vendors were all of Latin/Mexican descent.

Do you know what happened?

I know I must go up there soon to see the changes. I know that #80 freeway east and west has got be very horrible especially on weekends. Especially around that Galleria area in Roseville, in Placer county with all the development of those malls and new subdivision homes. Even Hwy 65.
Now that I am older I can't tolerate the heat like I could when I was younger.
I used to go to the CA. State Fair for over 20 consective years a few times a week during its stay from July when the gates opened in the morning thorough September Labor Day Weekend to view the fireworks at 10 or 11 PM before they closed the fair for evening concerts. I always looked at all the the California exhibits, shows on stage and great products that were on sale at the fair that I could not find anywhere else from 1982 but stopped sometime in the early 2,000 years because that heat was just too much for me.

As far a Rio Linda goes even Elkhorn Blvd. in Rio Linda has more traffic signals since the days I drove on it from 1980 - 2011. Time really does go by fast when you are having fun
The rice fields as i remember them where we fished as kids are gone. We used to catch catfish and large mouth bass.

Now I don't even know if there are jack rabbits in those Rio Linda fields or wild ducks and pheasants.
Certainly I know all the fishing spots are gone.

The subdivisions and traffic with more overpopulation of people again have ruined it all for us that thought we found a place of peace and tranquility away from big city corruption and crime..

Old 08-12-2018, 07:42 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Thank you for that kind offer. I don't even know what pullets are but he would know if he was still alive.
Pullets are young hens, Cockerels are young Roosters
Quote:
Now on another note when I used to go up to Denios almost weekly say 10+ years ago to the produce market, I noticed that all the farmers/vendors/sellers were Russian. Before that the farmers/sellers/vendors were all of Latin/Mexican descent.
I don't pay much attention to who is selling in the produce market but I've noticed a lot of Asians. I don't bother with Denios unless I'm in the area on Sunday before they close, that's the only time you can get a decent deal on produce. The rest of the crap is like dollar store junk but it costs more.
Quote:
Now that I am older I can't tolerate the heat like I could when I was younger. I used to go to the CA. State Fair for over 20 consective years a few times a week during its stay from July when the gates opened in the morning thorough September Labor Day Weekend to view the fireworks at 10 or 11 PM before they closed the fair for evening concerts. I always looked at all the the California exhibits, shows on stage and great products that were on sale at the fair that I could not find anywhere else from 1982 but stopped sometime in the early 2,000 years because that heat was just too much for me.
The state fair is now open for 2 weeks in July, it was too hot to go this year. Last year I took my Grandson and the price for food and rides is just outrageous. I can't think of any good reason to return. Remember the Counties building where each County had its own display? Now not even half of the counties bother to put up a display.
Quote:
The subdivisions and traffic with more overpopulation of people again have ruined it all for us that thought we found a place of peace and tranquility away from big city corruption and crime..
Here's where you and I differ, I don't consider the area to be ruined, I love it here.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Pullets are young hens, Cockerels are young Roosters
I don't pay much attention to who is selling in the produce market but I've noticed a lot of Asians. I don't bother with Denios unless I'm in the area on Sunday before they close, that's the only time you can get a decent deal on produce. The rest of the crap is like dollar store junk but it costs more.
The state fair is now open for 2 weeks in July, it was too hot to go this year. Last year I took my Grandson and the price for food and rides is just outrageous. I can't think of any good reason to return. Remember the Counties building where each County had its own display? Now not even half of the counties bother to put up a display.

Here's where you and I differ, I don't consider the area to be ruined, I love it here.
That's because I seen it change there from 1975 to 2011 before all the traffic signals and subdivisions came in.
Haven't been up there since 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento