Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,726 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am a cardiac telemetry nurse here in Southern Jersey. My husband is a respiratory therapist. We are thinking about relocating to northern California. We would like to know where is the best place to live in northern California. My husband likes Roseville. Does anyone here lives around Roseville area? What do you think about the area? We are looking for a safe place to live and a good school system for our little boy. We love the outdoors. Also, we need tips where to look for good paying jobs. We prefer working in hospital setting. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 10:10 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philrn View Post
Hi everyone! I am a cardiac telemetry nurse here in Southern Jersey. My husband is a respiratory therapist. We are thinking about relocating to northern California. We would like to know where is the best place to live in northern California. My husband likes Roseville. Does anyone here lives around Roseville area? What do you think about the area? We are looking for a safe place to live and a good school system for our little boy. We love the outdoors. Also, we need tips where to look for good paying jobs. We prefer working in hospital setting. Thank you so much!
Adventist is putting up a large medical campus close to the Sutter Hospital campus (https://www.adventisthealth.org/page...le-campus.aspx) and Kaiser's campus is a few blocks away. There should be some good job opportunities. Lots of outdoors activities nearby too (e.g., Folsom Lake, Hidden Falls Park) and Tahoe isn't too far away.

I live in the greater Lincoln area and love it. I don't have school age children, but look into Rocklin, Lincoln, Granite Bay and Folsom as well as Roseville. House prices have been softening (https://www.sacbee.com/news/business...220466045.html). Good luck!

Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
I curious about how successful medical practices are once they relocate. I assume you are both private practice.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:23 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,665 times
Kaiser will pay the best, all the hospital systems in the area are union (except maybe Sutter?). UC Davis is the big trauma center in town. Start your CA RN license endorsement asap, it takes quite awhile to finalize.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Lots of options. To get an idea of how much money you can make in different cities and areas, look at the government websites, because they will list the salaries.

Then, search Craigslist to get an idea of housing costs for the different cities and areas.

I used to live in Sacramento and Davis (owned a condo in Davis), and moved away because of the weather and bad air quality. Just be aware that there is a lot of agriculture in the Sacramento Valley that creates a lot of bad air quality, from aerial pesticide spraying to plowing, etc. - there are 500,000 acres just in rice fields alone in the Sacramento Valley. So, just plowing them up causes an enormous amount of particles in the air - not counting the aerial spraying for mosquitos, and burning fields if they have diseases in their fields, etc. And there are many other crops in the area besides rice.

And, when there are fires, that smoke gets stuck in the valley.

Lots of things to like about the area, but if air quality is an issue for your family because of asthma, etc., you should think seriously about it.

You should be in demand all over the state, though, so don't limit your options. Do your research and include the whole state.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:57 PM

276 posts, read 222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I used to live in Sacramento and Davis (owned a condo in Davis), and moved away because of the weather and bad air quality. Just be aware that there is a lot of agriculture in the Sacramento Valley that creates a lot of bad air quality, from aerial pesticide spraying to plowing, etc. - there are 500,000 acres just in rice fields alone in the Sacramento Valley. So, just plowing them up causes an enormous amount of particles in the air - not counting the aerial spraying for mosquitos, and burning fields if they have diseases in their fields, etc. And there are many other crops in the area besides rice.

And, when there are fires, that smoke gets stuck in the valley.

Lots of things to like about the area, but if air quality is an issue for your family because of asthma, etc., you should think seriously about it.
Well, if you're a pulmonary care nurse, you would likely have pretty steady employment in the central valley.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:58 PM

170 posts, read 252,205 times
Have you thought about looking at the VA for jobs? It does take several months to get your CA license however the VA is federal and will accept a license from any state. Check usajobs.gov.
The initial application process can be a little tedious but once you have it all in there you can use it over and over for any jobs. The VA may pay a little less than some of the private sector facilities however we have great benefits and time off as well as, I feel, a more realistic workload.
Best of luck on your new adventure!!

Old 12-20-2018, 10:29 PM

18 posts, read 9,586 times
I hate to dampen your enthusiasm for Northern CA, but I want you to be aware of some serious issues/problems here, esp. with crime and public safety.

First, the good:

There are many hospitals here (Sutter, UC-Davis, Kaiser, to name a few), so the employment outlook is pretty good, esp. for medical professionals who always seem in demand.

Now, the not-so-good:

I moved to the North Natomas neighborhood (fairly quiet, safe when I arrived) in Sacramento (a mile from the airport) from out of state in the fall of 2013 for work.

For the first couple of years, I liked living here. Natomas is very convenient (easy access to I-5, the major highway and the airport), with many grocery stores, movie theaters, shopping, and good restaurants nearby.

Fast forward to 2018:

IMO, the place has DRAMATICALLY tanked in just a few years, primarily due to a massive, rapid, unplanned influx of folks (many understandably fleeing ridiculously high housing prices in the SF Bay/Silicon Valley area or traffic, mudslide, and forest fire smoke in Los Angeles).

The end result: the once laid-back, smaller-town feel of Sac has vanished. House prices/rents are now sky-high. I struggle to pay rent/utilities on a single salary (nearly 2k/month for a 1200 sq. foot duplex). Rush hour traffic is AWFUL, a virtual parking lot from 7AM-9 AM and 3:30-6PM, esp. downtown Sac to/from Roseville or Elk Grove. Crime is very alarming and public, even affecting formerly "safe" burbs like Northern Natomas. Jackhammers/plows tear up practically every square inch of roads and fields to build MORE big, boxy, overpriced apts, condos, and panhandlers, homeless are ubiquitous--even in the burbs, far from downtown Sac.

Most importantly, I never really feared for my safety here before. That all changed for me dramatically within the span of a few weeks in Dec. 2018, after personally being indirectly touched by and witnessing, terrifying public violent crime: A manager at my neighborhood Northern Natomas Library down the street from my home was shot to death, execution-style, by a deranged drifter from out of state while simply sitting in her car outside the library after leaving work at 6PM. A mere week later, I was parked outside a laundromat next to the Food Maxx store on Truxel Ave. in Natomas at NOON, in broad daylight. As I sat in my car reading while waiting for my clothes to finish washing, I suddenly heard several loud "POP!" "POP!" "POP!" sounds a few steps away. At first, I thought it was just someone's old muffler backfiring, but it was a hail of GUNSHOTS!! (The cops had cornered a fleeing suspect in the parking lot outside of Food Maxx and was shooting at him as he sat in his car.) Then the parking lot was quickly filled with about 20 cop cars, their sirens blaring, while a police chopper buzzed overhead. It felt like being trapped in a bad combat war movie! After those "too close for comfort" traumas, I am honestly afraid to leave the house just to visit the library or do the laundry during daylight.

Gangs/drugs are a BIG problem in Northern CA. Here in Sac, there have been gang fights, shootings in public parks. Last year, two older women were assaulted (and one murdered) by an 18 year old rapist during a morning stroll on a local Sac. High School track field. 3 staffers at a VA facility north of SF were recently gunned down by a disgruntled former patient. A woman bank employee in nearby Stockton was kidnapped during a bank robbery and shot to death in a police chase, shootout in broad daylight.

Panhandlers are EVERYWHERE (on practically every street corner in downtown, around Arden Mall and Natomas, with many in "tent cities" along the banks of the once scenic, safe American River). Many are VERY harassing, aggressive, esp. if you decline their request for $$$. I have literally been chased across two parking lots and shouted at in broad daylight (outside Safeway on Del Paso St. and outside Target in the Gateway Shopping Mall), despite politely trying to walk away or requesting to be left alone as I tried to walk to my car.

Toxic fire smoke fumes have now become an extensive, long-term public health issue, whereas in the past they were limited to just a few days a year. Last summer, we had a very bad few days of forest fire smoke enveloping Sac. for a couple of days. White fire ash "snow" actually covered cars in the city for a few days. Then, in early November, the record-setting Camp Fire blaze erupted north of Sac., burning the entire city of Paradise, CA to ashes. The entire city of Sac (and most of Northern California) were CHOKED in filthy, toxic, "high health hazard"-rated fumes for TWO SOLID WEEKS. People had to stay indoors and wear Fire Dept.-issued masks to protect their lungs when venturing outdoors and when you did step outside, your throat and eyes burned for hours.

Smaller issues: trash, litter, gang graffiti EVERYWHERE (esp. along MAJOR highways/freeways like I-5, Hwy 99), factory smokestacks between Sac and Stockton/Fresno huff tons of pollution into the air, 24/7. I thought CA was the self-proclaimed "pro-environment, GREEN state"--NOT! Terrible roads: I have replaced all 4 tires twice in 4 years due to nails, screws, flats, pothole damage.

I am not naïve about life in the 21st Century or a novice to "big city" life or travel. I have lived in big cities before (Washington DC and NYC) and traveled to LA, Seattle, SF, and most other western state big cities for work; thus, I realize that MOST large cities have these issues. But I--and many others I know here--have just reached the "fed up" point watching this once-quieter, relatively safer part of Northern CA sadly go rapidly downhill as politicians in both parties here seemingly ignore obvious public safety, quality of life issues.

Good luck with which path you take. But, honestly, if I were in your shoes, just starting out in my career and had a young child to raise, I would look for a more safe, sedate, peaceful city with a stable population, growth rate. Sac is rapidly changing---IMO not for the better.

Last edited by kate333; 12-20-2018 at 10:50 PM..

Old 12-27-2018, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philrn View Post

Roseville is genuinely a nice area, as is Folsom which is right next door. If you love the outdoors the Sacramento area will have an enormous amount of things for you to keep yourself occupied with.

As an experienced RN you'll have little trouble finding a job here. Just make sure you work on getting your CA RN license ASAP - the BON can sometimes take forever to process licenses.

Your husband may have more trouble. While there are RT jobs here, the market is quite cyclical and tight at the moment. I'm an RT myself, so I'm intimately familiar with this. However, you'd be earning between 60-70/hr as an RN, so unless you have some crazy bills you could probably survive on your salary alone for a while. Once he starts working depending on his experience he can look forward to also making between 40-60/hr.

You'll also have lots of hospitals to choose from. You have:

Kaiser South Sacramento, which is a Level II Trauma center.

Mercy Methodist, a small community hospital with a small NICU.

UC Davis, which is a large 600 bed teaching hospital and Level I Trauma center.

Sutter General, another 500+ bed hospital, and major pediatric and neonatal center.

Mercy General, the largest cardiac hospital in Sacramento (and also where I work, so I'm kinda biased about this one)

Sutter Roseville, which is another Level II Trauma and also a major NICU

Mercy San Juan, which is another Level II Trauma and major NICU

Mercy Folsom, which is a small community hospital

Those are just the hospitals in the immediate area too. So yeah, you'll have options.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate333 View Post
I hate to dampen your enthusiasm for Northern CA, but I want you to be aware of some serious issues/problems here, esp. with crime and public safety.

First, the good:

There are many hospitals here (Sutter, UC-Davis, Kaiser, to name a few), so the employment outlook is pretty good, esp. for medical professionals who always seem in demand.

Now, the not-so-good:

I moved to the North Natomas neighborhood (fairly quiet, safe when I arrived) in Sacramento (a mile from the airport) from out of state in the fall of 2013 for work.

For the first couple of years, I liked living here. Natomas is very convenient (easy access to I-5, the major highway and the airport), with many grocery stores, movie theaters, shopping, and good restaurants nearby.

Fast forward to 2018:

IMO, the place has DRAMATICALLY tanked in just a few years, primarily due to a massive, rapid, unplanned influx of folks (many understandably fleeing ridiculously high housing prices in the SF Bay/Silicon Valley area or traffic, mudslide, and forest fire smoke in Los Angeles).

The end result: the once laid-back, smaller-town feel of Sac has vanished. House prices/rents are now sky-high. I struggle to pay rent/utilities on a single salary (nearly 2k/month for a 1200 sq. foot duplex). Rush hour traffic is AWFUL, a virtual parking lot from 7AM-9 AM and 3:30-6PM, esp. downtown Sac to/from Roseville or Elk Grove. Crime is very alarming and public, even affecting formerly "safe" burbs like Northern Natomas. Jackhammers/plows tear up practically every square inch of roads and fields to build MORE big, boxy, overpriced apts, condos, and panhandlers, homeless are ubiquitous--even in the burbs, far from downtown Sac.

Most importantly, I never really feared for my safety here before. That all changed for me dramatically within the span of a few weeks in Dec. 2018, after personally being indirectly touched by and witnessing, terrifying public violent crime: A manager at my neighborhood Northern Natomas Library down the street from my home was shot to death, execution-style, by a deranged drifter from out of state while simply sitting in her car outside the library after leaving work at 6PM. A mere week later, I was parked outside a laundromat next to the Food Maxx store on Truxel Ave. in Natomas at NOON, in broad daylight. As I sat in my car reading while waiting for my clothes to finish washing, I suddenly heard several loud "POP!" "POP!" "POP!" sounds a few steps away. At first, I thought it was just someone's old muffler backfiring, but it was a hail of GUNSHOTS!! (The cops had cornered a fleeing suspect in the parking lot outside of Food Maxx and was shooting at him as he sat in his car.) Then the parking lot was quickly filled with about 20 cop cars, their sirens blaring, while a police chopper buzzed overhead. It felt like being trapped in a bad combat war movie! After those "too close for comfort" traumas, I am honestly afraid to leave the house just to visit the library or do the laundry during daylight.

Gangs/drugs are a BIG problem in Northern CA. Here in Sac, there have been gang fights, shootings in public parks. Last year, two older women were assaulted (and one murdered) by an 18 year old rapist during a morning stroll on a local Sac. High School track field. 3 staffers at a VA facility north of SF were recently gunned down by a disgruntled former patient. A woman bank employee in nearby Stockton was kidnapped during a bank robbery and shot to death in a police chase, shootout in broad daylight.

Panhandlers are EVERYWHERE (on practically every street corner in downtown, around Arden Mall and Natomas, with many in "tent cities" along the banks of the once scenic, safe American River). Many are VERY harassing, aggressive, esp. if you decline their request for $$$. I have literally been chased across two parking lots and shouted at in broad daylight (outside Safeway on Del Paso St. and outside Target in the Gateway Shopping Mall), despite politely trying to walk away or requesting to be left alone as I tried to walk to my car.

Toxic fire smoke fumes have now become an extensive, long-term public health issue, whereas in the past they were limited to just a few days a year. Last summer, we had a very bad few days of forest fire smoke enveloping Sac. for a couple of days. White fire ash "snow" actually covered cars in the city for a few days. Then, in early November, the record-setting Camp Fire blaze erupted north of Sac., burning the entire city of Paradise, CA to ashes. The entire city of Sac (and most of Northern California) were CHOKED in filthy, toxic, "high health hazard"-rated fumes for TWO SOLID WEEKS. People had to stay indoors and wear Fire Dept.-issued masks to protect their lungs when venturing outdoors and when you did step outside, your throat and eyes burned for hours.

Smaller issues: trash, litter, gang graffiti EVERYWHERE (esp. along MAJOR highways/freeways like I-5, Hwy 99), factory smokestacks between Sac and Stockton/Fresno huff tons of pollution into the air, 24/7. I thought CA was the self-proclaimed "pro-environment, GREEN state"--NOT! Terrible roads: I have replaced all 4 tires twice in 4 years due to nails, screws, flats, pothole damage.

I am not naïve about life in the 21st Century or a novice to "big city" life or travel. I have lived in big cities before (Washington DC and NYC) and traveled to LA, Seattle, SF, and most other western state big cities for work; thus, I realize that MOST large cities have these issues. But I--and many others I know here--have just reached the "fed up" point watching this once-quieter, relatively safer part of Northern CA sadly go rapidly downhill as politicians in both parties here seemingly ignore obvious public safety, quality of life issues.

Good luck with which path you take. But, honestly, if I were in your shoes, just starting out in my career and had a young child to raise, I would look for a more safe, sedate, peaceful city with a stable population, growth rate. Sac is rapidly changing---IMO not for the better.
I'm not sure where else you've lived but Sacramento is no different than any other city of a similar size. I haven't seen anything like you are describing, gangs and shootings are pretty much confined to South Sac and to a lesser extent North Highlands. And it wasn't only Sacramento air that was bad during the Camp Fire, most of Northern California was affected too.

But if Sac is too awful for you, why stay when you could move to Folsom, or Rocklin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento