Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 07:32 PM

17 posts, read 6,667 times

Advertisements

Is there any recourse against a biased appraiser?

I had my Sacramento house appraised on 12/15/2018 by a very nice middle eastern man who drove all the way from san jose. He appraised it at $480,000.00. My next door neighbor sold his house in julY 2018 for $485,000.00. I decided to go with a local lender instead who called out this cowboy (an ACTUAL COWBOY!) from a farm community about 40 minutes north of sacramento to do a new appraisal ON 01/01/2019. "Cletus" appraised my house at $420,000.00. I dare you to find a house for sale in my upscale neighborhood for 420k. I just paid $450.00 to be reminded exactLy how systemic racism squeezes wealth from the black community.

aside from asking my bank to reverse the charges, do I haveany other recourse for this SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLAR DEVALUATION OF MY FAMILIES WEALTH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 07:43 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Wait, OP, could you explain? You had two appraisals. Couldn't you go with the original one? Was the other one locked in, because he was a friend of the realtor, or the lender? Sorry, I'm not quite following. Did you put your house on the market? And did "Cletus" provide you with profiles of comparable properties, to justify his assessment?

Old 01-13-2019, 01:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,453,164 times
I had my house appraised by two different guys/companies when I was going to do a re-fi. The two appraisals were wildly different--nearly $100,000 apart.

I'm white. Both appraisers were white.

But yours was "systemic racism"?

Jeez.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIAMSM View Post
Is there any recourse against a biased appraiser?

I had my Sacramento house appraised on 12/15/2018 by a very nice middle eastern man who drove all the way from san jose. He appraised it at $480,000.00. My next door neighbor sold his house in julY 2018 for $485,000.00. I decided to go with a local lender instead who called out this cowboy (an ACTUAL COWBOY!) from a farm community about 40 minutes north of sacramento to do a new appraisal ON 01/01/2019. "Cletus" appraised my house at $420,000.00. I dare you to find a house for sale in my upscale neighborhood for 420k. I just paid $450.00 to be reminded exactLy how systemic racism squeezes wealth from the black community.

aside from asking my bank to reverse the charges, do I haveany other recourse for this SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLAR DEVALUATION OF MY FAMILIES WEALTH?
Well, I did a random google search, here is the website link:

CA Bureau of Real Estate Appraisers online Appraiser complaint form:

\https://www2.brea.ca.gov/complaint/

Old 01-13-2019, 09:53 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
I'm not sure how you can claim this was racism. You seem to have stereotypes on your mind calling the appraiser "Cletus" in a derogatory manner as if he was a country bumpkin.
Did you review the appraisal or just look at the total number. If your neighbor sold his house it should be listed in the comps he pulled. You should also look at all the comps he used to make sure they were valid. Also pay attention to every item pointed out like lot size , condition, square footage, etc.
You can challenge the appraisal probably by pulling your own comps or having a realtor pull comps ( may cost you a hundred bucks or so).
Before you go running to complain it was racism, you should make sure the appraisal was done wrong. There are rules and formulas used, not just random opinions based on whether he hates you because you are black. The bank will not reverse you charges. The fee was used to pay the appraiser who is not an employee of the bank
BTW try the real estate forum, you should get better answers there on this.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:11 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times
Here is what you can do:

California has a board that certifies appraisers. Check with them weather this individual has a license - and if so, if it is current.

Then, ask them to review whether this appraiser used acceptable standards in appraising your property. There are several of them, the most relevant being the use of relative comparable properties. If all of that checks out, then you are in a situation where you just did not get what you wanted, and you just have to accept it.

If, on the other hand, he is not licensed or used a method that is not accepted - take him to small claims court.

Never go back and forth with people who harass you. Document it and report it to the correct authority.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:39 PM
ct2

63 posts, read 42,974 times
I just paid $450.00 to be reminded exactLy how systemic racism squeezes wealth from the black community.

could you clairify this statement . because reading what you posted I couldnt tell what color either appraisers were or what color the cowboy was. How could you turn this into a racial issue

Old 10-12-2019, 07:44 PM

22 posts, read 18,026 times
Who cares what the home appraises at? All that matters is the SALE price when you finally sell it.

The only time an appraisal matters is if you're trying to take out a loan against the value of the home and that's a TERRIBLE idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento