Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 69,529 times

Advertisements

I recently found out through the MeganLaw website that there is a child molester living in our apartments. I have a 7 year old that used to play outside, obviously not anymore. I was also talking to neighbors and found out that one right across the hall from me was chased all the way up her stairs and the one below me was beaten on the grounds. We also last week caught neighbors 3 doors down doing drugs on their balcony. It is just not safe here anymore. We found a place to move into on the first, and I immediately submitted my notice to terminate tenancy. I gave this on the 14th and am moving on the 30th. I was informed by apt mgr that I am still required to pay rent for 30 days. Is there no way that I can quit my tenancy earlier? It seems to me that the apts should not have allowed a convicted child molester to move in or should have at least informed the other tenants that this predator was on the premises so that we could protect our children. Please help me, if there is any advice you can give, it is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:34 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,330 times
I would talk to an attorney. This is a tough call, but I would move ASAP. I would not feel comfortable living there.

Just spend the couple hundred bucks to sit with a lawyer for an hour. I think depending of the level of offender the person is, they may or may not be obligated to tell you. Obviously if they were obligated, you would have ground to stand on.

My advice is even if you do have to pay, leave. I would.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:28 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
My understanding is that every lease or rental agreement for residential property must contain specific language pertaining to Megan's Law in no smaller than 8 point type.

So the first thing I would verify is whether or not your rental agreement addresses the Meagan's Law requirement.

If it does... my opinion is the Apartment Owner is in compliance and providing 30 day notice of intent to move is required or in your case paying 30 days of rent from the date you served notice.

If your rental agreement does not contain the required Megan's Law Notification, then I believe you could successfully use this as the basis for early move out.

Realize that you may very well have to go to Court before a Judge to decide if you are entitled to move on less than 30 days notice and recover your security deposit.

Best advice is to consult with a local Landlord/Tenant Attorney to advise you of your rights and responsibilities.

I hope it works out for you and I can understand your concern...

Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,705,340 times
You will probably need to pay the rest of the money - you gave a 30 day notice. So you are obligated to pay for the full 30 days. Just pay it and not make everything a big hassle - in the long run having your child safe and all the loose ends tied up nicely is worth the extra bucks.

But didn't you post about a 3 day pay or quit notice too? Are these two posts related to one another?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,897 times
My Apartment Just Gave Me A 10 Day Notice. CAn They Do That When I Just Paid My Rent...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,815 times
Family watchdog

Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,847,903 times
Check this: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento