Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 09:49 AM

8 posts, read 8,684 times

Advertisements

Hello, been browsing here for awhile, just made an account!

I will be relocating to the area within the next year. Driven the 50 and 80 corridor and explored both areas, but need the advice from the locals. Been looking at houses in cameron park, shingle springs and then also the other side; auburn area.

What I’m looking for is 2000sq ft with 3-5 acres. Price would be somewhere around 700k. My question is more to the livability of both areas. Such as schools, crime and cost of living (utility, insurance costs). My big question is how about fire insurance?? Is it hard to insure a property up in the foothills?

Work isn’t an issue due to working remotely. We do have 3 small kids and would like information on where the better place to raise them would be.

I have family in loomis and the greater Sacramento area, so I am familiar with landscape, just not the ins and outs of living up there.

I know there are many variables and opinions, but mainly looking at which is the best area to raise a family and obtaining fire insurance seems expensive....

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 03:22 PM

4,026 posts, read 3,303,002 times
I have friends in Shingle Springs, they said they were dropped by their carrier and that it was difficult to find another one, but I am reluctant to generalize to other areas. In their area, they are served by a volunteer firefighting department and that created problems getting insured.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:48 PM

1,142 posts, read 578,673 times
Auburn has the worst air quality around and the people are not very happy. You'd be happiest in Cameron Park, Placerville or if you want to stay close to Auburn, try Cool or Lake of the Pines area. Lake of the Pines address is technically, Auburn

Old 05-08-2020, 08:46 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
Auburn has the worst air quality around and the people are not very happy. You'd be happiest in Cameron Park, Placerville or if you want to stay close to Auburn, try Cool or Lake of the Pines area. Lake of the Pines address is technically, Auburn
I'm not sure why you say "Auburn has the worst air quality around." The ozone levels get high seasonally, but compared to living in the Sac Valley, foothills air quality is great. (I lived in Davis, Woodland and Newcastle. I'd rather breathe in Newcastle than in either of the others.) Here's some info on foothills air quality:

http://www.trpa.org/documents/reisc/...nty.%20pdf.pdf

OP, you will have a lot of good choices in your price range in the greater Auburn area. For the schools and general quality of life, take a good look at Loomis. You will pay a premium for property there, but there's a reason for it. Newcastle and Penryn are other good choices in the Auburn area. Personally, I would avoid Colfax, Foresthill and Cool. Mostly in high fire hazard areas, not particularly good schools, and remote from shopping and other services (e.g., medical & dental options).

Fire insurance is a problem. Look at the California Fire Districts map (https://ia.cpuc.ca.gov/firemap/) and avoid the Tier 3 locations, since you will have to go to FAIR public insurance. My property in Newcastle was in Tier 2, and while I was never threatened with non-renewal, others in the area did have their insurance cancelled. Note that it will be hard to find Shingle Springs property that is not in Tier 3.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:30 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
For sure Auburn is closer to Loomis if that’s important to you. Both areas are very nice and have great schools. Shingle Springs might be a bit closer to more amenities than Auburn.

I would say look on both places and find the property that suits you best. Things to consider...

Fire Insurance - it’s difficult to guess what rates will be but closer to fire station, city water with hydrant and less density of trees helps.

Internet - this is huge if you work from home. Most acreage properties have crap service options and you’re lucky to get 5-10 mbps data rates. It’s hit or miss which will have high speed options so check on that as well.

Auburn is more likely to have steeper, heavily trees lots. Makes a nice view but land not as usable. Not in all properties but in general.

Access to services you need - driving conditions. Lots of unpaved roads, winding roads, etc so check it out.

There are plenty of options available in your price range.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
I'm not sure why you say "Auburn has the worst air quality around." The ozone levels get high seasonally, but compared to living in the Sac Valley, foothills air quality is great. (I lived in Davis, Woodland and Newcastle. I'd rather breathe in Newcastle than in either of the others.) Here's some info on foothills air quality:

OP, you will have a lot of good choices in your price range in the greater Auburn area. For the schools and general quality of life, take a good look at Loomis. You will pay a premium for property there, but there's a reason for it. Newcastle and Penryn are other good choices in the Auburn area. Personally, I would avoid Colfax, Foresthill and Cool. Mostly in high fire hazard areas, not particularly good schools, and remote from shopping and other services (e.g., medical & dental options).

Fire insurance is a problem. Look at the California Fire Districts map (https://ia.cpuc.ca.gov/firemap/) and avoid the Tier 3 locations, since you will have to go to FAIR public insurance. My property in Newcastle was in Tier 2, and while I was never threatened with non-renewal, others in the area did have their insurance cancelled. Note that it will be hard to find Shingle Springs property that is not in Tier 3.

Awesome, thank you for the link, I’ll check it out.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 578,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post

You'll find the fattest people in Auburn and many on CPAP or BPAP machines at night. We've never met nor seen so many fat people in the years we lived there. Trust me, something is happening there. My husband could barely breathe living there.

Probably the only worst place to live is Meadow Vista (regarding air quality) though it depends upon which part. Downtown at the old Placer Hills School is where the weather station is located

Personally I'd get up above COLFAX. Maybe ALTA thru Emigrant Gap. Perfect location is the last Alta exit.To the right are some beautiful homes in a sort of naturey sub division, cheaper homes on the opposite side. Emigrant Gap gets alot more snow than Alta so that might be a deterrent. Either way, from both locations, you can hit the freeway and go to either Reno or Loomis fairly quickly. Newcastle seems like a nice place to live, that would likely be my choice.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
You'll find the fattest people in Auburn and many on CPAP or BPAP machines at night. We've never met nor seen so many fat people in the years we lived there. Trust me, something is happening there. My husband could barely breathe living there.

Probably the only worst place to live is Meadow Vista (regarding air quality) though it depends upon which part. Downtown at the old Placer Hills School is where the weather station is located

Personally I'd get up above COLFAX. Maybe ALTA thru Emigrant Gap. Perfect location is the last Alta exit.To the right are some beautiful homes in a sort of naturey sub division, cheaper homes on the opposite side. Emigrant Gap gets alot more snow than Alta so that might be a deterrent. Either way, from both locations, you can hit the freeway and go to either Reno or Loomis fairly quickly. Newcastle seems like a nice place to live, that would likely be my choice.

You should see the health of the people in the Bay Area, I think everyone has some kind of problem.... lol
Probably head up and drive around Newcastle this weekend.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:02 AM

What’s the deal with Lincoln? Seems to have higher prices for the area?... nice area, good schools, low crime??

Old 05-10-2020, 08:56 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,410 times
Lincoln, IMO, is sort of like cancer. The city keeps annexing land to build enormous housing developments (City of Lincoln, CA : Current Development Projects). It was the fastest growing city in the US during the last housing bubble. When it all came crashing down they were hit hard: houses foreclosed on and the property taxes dried up, then a lot of retail followed. Now they're doing it again, and don't seem to have learned their lesson.

There are a lot of rural properties with "Lincoln" zip codes. These will be indistinguishable from similar properties in Auburn, Newcastle, Penryn, Loomis, etc. Go look at some when you are out scouting. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento