Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 03:58 PM

207 posts, read 220,571 times

Advertisements

gz390,

In case you have a noise sensitivity, I strongly suggest to study google maps extensively, and perhaps even to spend a few hours around a new potential location to make sure that it is not too noisy for you. Price might be the most difficult obstacle to negotiate though if you are looking for <1K housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 04:12 PM

58 posts, read 95,828 times
How is the plane noise around Mather Airport (between Zinfandel and N Mather)? I was considering looking in that area since it is newer development but concerned about the noise, but I know it is not a busy airport so I could tolerate occasional noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
What part of OC did you move from? We lived in Irvine and we really like the Davis area for our next move (hopefully in the next six months). We found the northeast part of the metro to feel more like Orange County with its wide boulevards and master planned feel. I know that sounds boring to most people, but for us we like the quiet planned feel to a community.

I didn't mind the Elk Grove area when we looked at it, but it does kind of feel like the edge of the world.

The northeast part of the Sacramento metro has the rolling hills and nice neighborhoods that feel more like OC foothill communities and Irvine. Moving out of state sounds nice, but we regret it majorly and are ready to get back.
I lived in Stanton/Garden Grove area since it was close to my work but at least it was a newly built area. I would have liked to lived in Irvine otherwise. I'm looking into the Rancho Cordova area now near the airport, I like the large streets and open space there but it is still close to restaurants, walmart and the gym.

Last edited by gz390; 04-01-2021 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-05-2021, 10:44 AM

580 posts, read 513,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gz390 View Post
How is the plane noise around Mather Airport (between Zinfandel and N Mather)? I was considering looking in that area since it is newer development but concerned about the noise, but I know it is not a busy airport so I could tolerate occasional noise.

I lived in Stanton/Garden Grove area since it was close to my work but at least it was a newly built area. I would have liked to lived in Irvine otherwise. I'm looking into the Rancho Cordova area now near the airport, I like the large streets and open space there but it is still close to restaurants, walmart and the gym.
How do you think the plane noise is around Mather Airfield? Come on.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:28 PM

276 posts, read 365,222 times
Quote:

The airport is not real busy during the day but numerous freight carriers fly out of there. The nighttime noise has increased dramatically in the last few years.

To really judge an area's noise level, go there on various days at various times (including the middle of the night) and spend an hour or two outside listening. Don't stay in your car as it will muffle any noise.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:49 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
I lived off of Arden Way and Watt Av and Watt Av was busy but the inside streets were very quiet.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:59 AM

61 posts, read 63,170 times
Hi gz390,

Sorry, you're experiencing too much noise. Here's a noise map from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics: National Transportation Noise Map. I recommend using this to help plan your next move.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTee View Post
Hi gz390,

Sorry, you're experiencing too much noise. Here's a noise map from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics: National Transportation Noise Map. I recommend using this to help plan your next move.
Thanks, I am going to try and get a rental somewhere in Arden-Arcade since it is close to my work but also far from airport noise and train tracks.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,277 times
Quote:

Hmmm there are of course objective measurements of noise. But all I can offer is my subjective opinion. The ambient noise I would consider low. If anything, the most noticeable noise is from all the home construction going on. Evening and night walks are quiet enough to hear the crickets, toads/frogs and occasional coyote howls.

If you're willing to wait Elliott Homes just broke ground on their first phase of home building just east of Costco off White Rock Road. It's not as convenient to stores but it's super quiet out that way because there isn't much around.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:22 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,248,183 times
My bro lives near Long Beach Airport, wow that place is noise crazy!
I was in Carmichael 20 years it was pretty nice except for the sheriffs chopper circling around on weekends.
Elk Grove is not a primo area. My 2c worth.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:25 PM

I went to the park near Mather airport the other weekend and the noise from jets was loud and nonstop almost.

I can still hear at least 10+ planes every day working from home here in Vineyard. Do I need to move out of the city to get away from the airplane noise? I am just worried if I move some other place in Sac it will be just as worse. I have already been checking Web Trak.

At this point I am just trying to get a new job to get out of this city unfortunately I am required to live in greater Sacramento area even though it is work from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento