Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 09:26 PM

579 posts, read 511,913 times

Advertisements

I think most will wind up in Folsom, EDH, or Fair Oaks if they want more charm. Like all the other office workers, who work in Rancho along highway 50. I have found people at that income bracket generally prefer a good deal of insulation in between them and the poverty crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 01:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,262,159 times
For those who want to be within 5-10 minutes of the Solidigm campus there are actually many nice neighborhoods to choose from:

1. Newer but established neighborhoods just 5 minuets from the Solidigm campus in Rancho Cordova such as
Stone Creek, Villages at Zinfandel, Alexander, the high-density neighbor just east of Village Shopping area.

2. The older Rancho Cordova neighborhoods bordering the American River near Cordova High School.
3. Sunriver neighborhoods just west of Sunrise Blvd, north of Folsom Blvd. Sunriver is in Rancho Cordova.
4. Goldriver neighborhoods just east of Sunrise Blvd, north of Folsom Blvd. Goldriver is not in Rancho Cordova.
5. Anatolia neighborhoods south of Folsom Blvd. Anatolia is in Rancho Cordova.
6. The nicevneighborhoods tucked in between the American River(south of the River) and Folsom Blvd but not in Rancho Cordova city limits.

7. For those who don't mind 20-30 minutes commute, and don't want City of Folsom and El Dorado Hills on up, but nicer than Gold River or as nice, that would be anything along Fair Oaks Blvd on both sides from the Watt Ave Bridge to Sunrise Blvd Bridge with Jesuit High School at the center basically everything south of Arden Way to American River. (High-End Arden-Arcade and Fair Oaks)

8. 25-35 minutes commute that would be half of Carmichael and Carmichael adjacent such Arden Park and Garden of the Gods......plenty of nice neighborhoods in Citrus Heights and Orangevale too.

You can save yourself 200K-600K by NOT going up the Hill with these neighborhoods.

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-17-2022 at 01:26 AM..

Old 09-17-2022, 10:07 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times
Considering how many tech people in the Bay Area chose to live in San Francisco and used "tech buses" and transit to commute down the peninsula to tech industry campuses in Silicon Valley, I assume that at least some of those folks will end up in Sacramento proper, especially neighborhoods accessible to the Gold Line like Southside Park and Midtown, for closer access to an urban vibe and city amenities; if they're coming from urban parts of the Bay Area or other American cities, nothing they see in downtown Sacramento is going to particularly surprise them. Which is bad news for those hoping for relief from skyrocketing rent prices in Midtown, but good luck for landlords counting on more waves of Bay Area tenants for the latest round of 5+1 midrise apartments. It also seems likely that some of these campuses will have private shuttles to and from nearby light rail stations, if they don't already (I seem to remember that Intel already does?) OTOH I'm sure some will just buy up suburban homes in Orangevale and Rancho and sublet them to coworkers.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:50 AM

If you use Zinfandel Dr. and International Dr. as your center point, and radiate out 5 minutes, you have a newer to brand new neighborhood with condos, larger apartments, and single family homes all within a few minutes of the Solidigm Campus and all within Rancho Cordova city limits. Also, there is a high-density neighborhood where you can WALK or ride a bike to medical, shopping, restaurants. Keep it Local.

Ugh, no need to get on the scary, dirty, inefficient, and ancient light rail to travel over 40-50 minutes to downtown/midtown. But it is still an option, should you choose it, better than not having a light rail option.

Besides, I heard the city center folks would rather "keep downtown/midtown to themselves"....and the tent dwellers. If I recall they would rather not have "suburbanites" invading their space".

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-17-2022 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-17-2022, 11:56 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times
RT is currently adding passing tracks to facilitate express trains from Folsom to Sacramento on the Gold Line, and the new Siemens low-floor LRVs will start coming online in the next year or so. Any negative responses from central city residents about the endless waves of Bay Area migrants jacking up rents are apparently quiet murmurs compared to the shrieks of horror from East Sacramento and Land Park residents about the possibility of 2-3 story fourplexes in their neighborhood, and as a result the central city has gained about 6000-10,000 residents between 2010 and 2020 (depending on whether or not you include the "toast" of Richards/Railyards/Sutter's Landing census tract in the total.) It would be even nicer if we could build a whole bunch of permanent affordable housing so more of those folks in tents can get out of the weather, but their presence doesn't seem to have deterred any new housing investment; I think we're still on track to increase the central city population (including the "toast") back up close to 58,000 by 2040. But since that's only one neighborhood in a 2.5 million person metro (albeit one that was the location for 1 job in 8 in the entire metro region pre-2020), hopefully we'll see similar population increases and vertical growth as Folsom and Rancho Cordova urbanize, replacing some of those suburban shopping centers and parking-heavy office parks with midrise apartments along the Folsom Boulevard corridor adjacent to the light rail lines, and probably a few fourplexes through East Sac & Land Park if we can keep the shrieking down.

Old 09-17-2022, 12:55 PM

Apparently there was an extensive search within the Sacramento Metro, and Solidigm probably choose Rancho Cordova over Elk Grove, Folsom Lincoln, Rocklin, Roseville, North Highlands-McClellan because it checks several important boxes.

1. Available and affordable infrastructure, logistics, large office park setting
2. Affordable and Upper Middle Class housing options within 5-10-15 minutes.
3. Affordable and Reliable Electricity through Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD), no need for PG&E.
4. An incorporated city with a open-minded, reasonable, and amenable city gov't.
5. An educated workforce with higher education nearby: Sac State and UC Davis
6. Light Rail access to Folsom and Sacramento
7. Mather Airport is 5 minutes away, UPS Hub, Corporate travel, huge cargo planes should it be needed, and Sac Executive Airport provides corporate travel; these are added value options in addition to SMF International.
8. Recreational attributes: American River, Nimbus, Folsom Lakes, many many parks
9. Also, They wanted to keep it in California for political reasons.
10. Silicon Valley is only 2hrs away for in-person conferences, and the entire Bay Area is within commute distance both by car and train if needed for various additional housing and logistic needs.
11. Tax Breaks?
12. Easy access to high-end suburbia, luxurious-exclusive gated communities: Folsom, El Dorado Hills and environs

In Bold is what sets Rancho Cordova apart from Elk Grove, Roseville, and/or City of Sac, etc, some apply to only certain cities

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-17-2022 at 02:01 PM..

Old 09-19-2022, 11:28 AM

4,025 posts, read 3,302,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
As California goes, having a natural geographic feature has always made the place more desirable.

Sacramento has the American and Sacramento Rivers
Carmichael has the American River
Folsom as Folsom Lake, Nimbus Lake, lower Foothills, and American River
Roseville and Rocklin have Folsom Lake and lower Foothills

Natomas, and Antelope nothing really.

Rancho Cordova has the American River

Elk Grove?
Davis?
I sort of agree, I acknowledge natural amenties can help attract desireable employers with well educated work forces to an area, but I think its usually highly educated parents that lead to high scoring schools and its the school test scores. But built amenties I think can do that too. Davis has strong schools because the parents in Davis are professors and grad students in the University, more so than for its natural amenties.

Right after Elk Grove landed the Apple facility, Apple got into financial difficulty and that prevented Apple from growing their Elk Grove facility much. I think if that Apple plant had been bigger earlier, more schools in Elk Grove would be a much stronger competitor with Roseville, Folsom, Rocklin, El Dorado Hills and Granite Bay. But when that didn't occur Elk Grove fell a step behind. The building stock is nice and new, but Elk Grove got a lot more mid level state employees, working downtown instead of tech workers and the schools just aren't quite as strong as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
You make a good point. About two weeks ago on my way to El Dorado Hills for brunch, I decided to exit US-50 at Zinfandel and take White Rock Road the rest of the way. East of Sunrise, the City of Rancho Cordova has widened and improved the street leading to a new residential development and the intersection with Rancho Cordova Parkway. There's still lots of infill development potential in the southeast part of the City towards the proposed Southeast Connector.

Since we're starting to see a softening in the housing market, you're probably going to see a slow down in new housing construction over the next couple of years. As market demand rebounds, you may start seeing some upmarket housing coming into Rancho. Most of the housing product being developed south of 50 in Folsom is fairly upscale.
Remember this part of Rancho Cordova is located in the attendence district for the highest performing high school in ELk Gove Unified, so the schools in this area start out pretty good right now and as the area gets built out, the new schools that are opened in this current school attendance district should be even better if they have a desireable employer in the area, which according to this thread, it sounds like that will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
I think most will wind up in Folsom, EDH, or Fair Oaks if they want more charm. Like all the other office workers, who work in Rancho along highway 50. I have found people at that income bracket generally prefer a good deal of insulation in between them and the poverty crowd.
First, I think your insulation though is McClellan and Aerojet facility.

That said when all of this new growth happens in Rancho, where are these people going to work? Rancho Cordova is planned to become a city of 200K+ people, up from current 75K. My hunch is that a lot of that employment growth is going to happen along the highway 50 corridor. Some people will commute to Folsom, El Dorado Hills, but a lot is going to be taking some of these warehouses and under utilized real estate adjacent to 50 and turining them into office parks. Is the Sacramento Drive in theater, really the highest and best use for that property? So I think the older parts of Rancho Cordova along 50 will get redeveloped and Rancho Cordova will use growth mitigation fees on new devlopment to pay for fixing up the older parts of Rancho, the way Folsom used it to fix up historic Folsom and the way Roseville has been doing the same thing to fix up the historic areas of Roseville. Think about how much money Rancho Cordova has spent on Folsom Blvd already, more money will be spent fixing it up. But the older parts of Rancho Cordova are also the parts of Rancho that are closest to the American River, so the underlying bones of the neighborhood are good too.

Back in the 70's historic Roseville had a lot of hobos and biker bars, but Roseville has and is continuing to spend a lot of money to turn that area around. Rancho Cordova will be in that same position. West Sac had a bunch of grain elevators along its water front, but the tax receipts from the new devevolpment helped to pay for fixing up the older neighborhoods and waterfront.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I sort of agree, I acknowledge natural amenties can help attract desireable employers with well educated work forces to an area, but I think its usually highly educated parents that lead to high scoring schools and its the school test scores. But built amenties I think can do that too. Davis has strong schools because the parents in Davis are professors and grad students in the University, more so than for its natural amenties.

Right after Elk Grove landed the Apple facility, Apple got into financial difficulty and that prevented Apple from growing their Elk Grove facility much. I think if that Apple plant had been bigger earlier, more schools in Elk Grove would be a much stronger competitor with Roseville, Folsom, Rocklin, El Dorado Hills and Granite Bay. But when that didn't occur Elk Grove fell a step behind. The building stock is nice and new, but Elk Grove got a lot more mid level state employees, working downtown instead of tech workers and the schools just aren't quite as strong as a result.

Remember this part of Rancho Cordova is located in the attendence district for the highest performing high school in ELk Gove Unified, so the schools in this area start out pretty good right now and as the area gets built out, the new schools that are opened in this current school attendance district should be even better if they have a desireable employer in the area, which according to this thread, it sounds like that will.

First, I think your insulation though is McClellan and Aerojet facility.

That said when all of this new growth happens in Rancho, where are these people going to work? Rancho Cordova is planned to become a city of 200K+ people, up from current 75K. My hunch is that a lot of that employment growth is going to happen along the highway 50 corridor. Some people will commute to Folsom, El Dorado Hills, but a lot is going to be taking some of these warehouses and under utilized real estate adjacent to 50 and turining them into office parks. Is the Sacramento Drive in theater, really the highest and best use for that property? So I think the older parts of Rancho Cordova along 50 will get redeveloped and Rancho Cordova will use growth mitigation fees on new devlopment to pay for fixing up the older parts of Rancho, the way Folsom used it to fix up historic Folsom and the way Roseville has been doing the same thing to fix up the historic areas of Roseville. Think about how much money Rancho Cordova has spent on Folsom Blvd already, more money will be spent fixing it up. But the older parts of Rancho Cordova are also the parts of Rancho that are closest to the American River, so the underlying bones of the neighborhood are good too.

Back in the 70's historic Roseville had a lot of hobos and biker bars, but Roseville has and is continuing to spend a lot of money to turn that area around. Rancho Cordova will be in that same position. West Sac had a bunch of grain elevators along its water front, but the tax receipts from the new devevolpment helped to pay for fixing up the older neighborhoods and waterfront.
A few things worth noting. Elk Grove Unified and Roseville Unified are fairly comparable. Especially if we take out the South Sac schools for EG Unified and Antelope schools for Roseville Unified. If you look at their schools rankings, Roseville is only slightly stronger.
I think Elk Grove schools were a bit more heavy on the 7/10 ranked schools vs Roseville which was a bit more heavy on the 8/10 schools. A couple neighborhoods in East Roseville get zoned to Granite Bay High, which also helps give Roseville a slight edge there too.

As far as median household incomes, Roseville is 96k and Elk Grove is 101k and Rocklin is 100k. Per the 2020 census. I think Roseville might be the lowest because of that huge retirement community. But economically, they are all on the same totem pole. They're all the same dual income Gov't/healthcare workforce burbs.

Rancho is a sleeper, but I think in 25 years it will be a lot like Elk Grove. It's sprouting from the ground up in the far south. But like Mountain House by Tracy, it will take a couple of decades to really materialize into a strong suburban corridor.

As of right now, if these tech jobs coming are paying 150k-200k a pop? Folsom and El Dorado Hills is the obvious choice for folks with multiple kids. On that type of income folks expect all the offerings of upper middle class suburbia. Funny enough, the was a time when Cordova High was considered an high end school. Lot's of kids who's fathers had aerospace industry jobs.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:03 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,302,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
A few things worth noting. Elk Grove Unified and Roseville Unified are fairly comparable. Especially if we take out the South Sac schools for EG Unified and Antelope schools for Roseville Unified. If you look at their schools rankings, Roseville is only slightly stronger.
I think Elk Grove schools were a bit more heavy on the 7/10 ranked schools vs Roseville which was a bit more heavy on the 8/10 schools. A couple neighborhoods in East Roseville get zoned to Granite Bay High, which also helps give Roseville a slight edge there too.

As far as median household incomes, Roseville is 96k and Elk Grove is 101k and Rocklin is 100k. Per the 2020 census. I think Roseville might be the lowest because of that huge retirement community. But economically, they are all on the same totem pole. They're all the same dual income Gov't/healthcare workforce burbs.

Rancho is a sleeper, but I think in 25 years it will be a lot like Elk Grove. It's sprouting from the ground up in the far south. But like Mountain House by Tracy, it will take a couple of decades to really materialize into a strong suburban corridor.

As of right now, if these tech jobs coming are paying 150k-200k a pop? Folsom and El Dorado Hills is the obvious choice for folks with multiple kids. On that type of income folks expect all the offerings of upper middle class suburbia. Funny enough, the was a time when Cordova High was considered an high end school. Lot's of kids who's fathers had aerospace industry jobs.
That is interesting about income levels in Elk Grove vs Roseville.

The thing I was also thinking about is this. Anything build before 1992 is now older than 30 years old. In newer neighborhoods the housing and the building stock stays nice because it just isn't very old. But as the housing stock gets older what determines how well a neighborhood holds up is how well it is mantained. Arden Park has held up well, but diectly acrooss Watt Avenue, that neighborhood has not. The places with a view of Folsom Lake or tha American River or just with views of the Sacramento Valley will likely stay nice because there is a limited number of places in the region where that happens, but some of the other older housing might start to filter downward. I think the newer parts of Folsom East South of 50 will be nice, but I am wondering if the older parts of Folsom will get longer in the tooth. Making that area along Grantline Road, White Rock Road seem much more competitive. Sort of the way Citrus Heights and Arden Arcade got long in the tooth when people could move out to newer homes in Elk Grove.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
That is interesting about income levels in Elk Grove vs Roseville.

The thing I was also thinking about is this. Anything build before 1992 is now older than 30 years old. In newer neighborhoods the housing and the building stock stays nice because it just isn't very old. But as the housing stock gets older what determines how well a neighborhood holds up is how well it is mantained. Arden Park has held up well, but diectly acrooss Watt Avenue, that neighborhood has not. The places with a view of Folsom Lake or tha American River or just with views of the Sacramento Valley will likely stay nice because there is a limited number of places in the region where that happens, but some of the other older housing might start to filter downward. I think the newer parts of Folsom East South of 50 will be nice, but I am wondering if the older parts of Folsom will get longer in the tooth. Making that area along Grantline Road, White Rock Road seem much more competitive. Sort of the way Citrus Heights and Arden Arcade got long in the tooth when people could move out to newer homes in Elk Grove.

The x factor is income. That more or less determines how well the homes will hold up. Old Folsom will not hit the skids, because it neve really hit the skids to begin with (like say, oldtown Livermore aka little Mexico). Old town Folsom will be similar to downtown Pleasanton, just not as wealthy. But same purpose, older and more affordable homes with character, that are not as pricey is the neighborhood tracts.

But yeah, the feeder schools in old town Folsom are the lowest ranked in town. Because there is still some of that old school, blue collar/lower middle class vibe that Folsom had before the 90's. Cirtus Heights and half of Arden hit the skids, because they built far too many apartments that are no longer filled with young single aerospace workers. Now they are filled with low income families. And the low income families send tons of kids to the schools. But the white middle class types are aging and many are empty nesters. And that changed the dynamic of the schools.

What saved Elk Grove is the steadily booming Asian middle class. I know a lot of people wrote off Elk Grove during The Great Recession, but the Asian middle class really took over west of 99. And the schools improved. Even Monterey Trail High, which is a South Sac and Elk Grove mix on the border ranks 7/10! You can see similar at Arroyo High in San Leadro or Logan High in Union City. And pretty much all the new housing in Elk Grove post recession had been more up market. I don't think anyone is building workforce housing anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento