Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,772 times

Advertisements

Curious to hear any gay or "gay friendly" (nod to the _____ thread below) experiences either directly or heard from friends, acquaintences, etc. for Greenhaven/Pocket compared to other known "good" gay areas including Land Park, Midtown, Curtis Park, Tahoe Park, East Sac. Never heard how this area compares in that regard. Just looking for your own perspectives and "advice" or other "reliable" info/sources. Especially living in say a duplex either connected or separated by say a garage where neighbors are close (almost "shared") as opposed to a house or apartment. I'm looking at some rentals in the area (mainly duplexes) and wondering if this could become an issue not knowing where neighbors "stand" so to speak. That said, I've seen a few "no on prop 8" signs around the area (in other words, vote to allow gay marriage) but don't know if that means much. And please, no politacal (sp?) or off-topic posts here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:18 AM

406 posts, read 1,592,830 times
I know a lesbian couple who lives in the little Pocket area off Seamus, but I am not aware of any homosexuals in Greenhaven or the Pocket area, but my experiences here may or may not be representitive.

For what its worth the only Republican on the city council is Robbie Waters, who represents district 7. District 7 is Greenhaven, Meadowview, the Pocket and Valley Hi. I doubt Meadowview or Valley Hi are Republican strongholds, so his votes are probably coming out of Greenhaven and the Pocket area.

Greenhaven and the Pocket areas are mostly wealthy asians living among wealthy white folks. I doubt you would face overt discrimination because these folks are republican because they want to lower capital gains taxes more than to advance the culture wars, but I suspect that you might find yourself more accepted in the neighborhoods you listed above.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:53 PM

37 posts, read 257,129 times
Thanks Zen -- that's interesting. I wonder just how many republicans there are in Greenhaven? There are obviously SOME gay folks everywhere (the signs are an indicator and I know there's a gay landlord but that's the very south end of Land Park not in Greenhaven per se). Just what I need -- to end up living next to a conservative republican in a duplex! I like Greenhaven because it's more "laid back" and friendly, but maybe it's not as good as I thought for a gay man!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:05 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,830 times
Again, I doubt you will face much overt discrimination. Most suburban republican housewifes love Ellen Degeneris and Rosie O'Donnell.

But what you are less likely to find in Greenhaven and the Pocket is people who are like yourself. In what the other poster referred to above as the 'good' neighborhoods, you probably won't be the only homosexual on the block. The local neighborhood kids in those neighborhoods probably have friends who's parents are gay. So the fact that you are gay probablly isn't going to be that remarkable.

Its in that sense, that I think the 'good' neighborhoods are more welcoming.

If you for something that is more laid back yet still pretty gay friendly, you might consider Davis. I know a couple of lesbian couples raising kids out there and they love it. The schools are excellent and Davis is socially more progressive than any of the 'good' neighborhoods listed above.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 7,772 times
Zen, thanks for the input -- it's really helpful!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM

117 posts, read 486,147 times
I live in the Pocket, and I have no problem with gay people. However, I've only lived here a couple of months and I have no idea whether my view is representative of most of the area's population. So I guess this post was no help. Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: