Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 AM

7 posts, read 19,880 times

Advertisements

We are a family that likes to take neighborhood walks whenever we feel like it (i.e. sometimes at night). We like knowing our neighbors. We like going out to eat at yummy locally owned restaurants, walking to them is better so both of us adults could actually drink a beer TOGETHER. We like hiking in the woods.

Is Mid-town the place for us, or are the schools for our son sketch-o.

I do not want my house to be under water EVER.

I like to garden so Bums sleeping in my flowers would make me sad.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 05:52 AM

139 posts, read 637,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak9 View Post
I thought they made for great fertilizer

Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 AM

325 posts, read 1,474,877 times
Quote:
We are a family that likes to take neighborhood walks whenever we feel like it (i.e. sometimes at night). We like knowing our neighbors. We like going out to eat at yummy locally owned restaurants, walking to them is better so both of us adults could actually drink a beer TOGETHER. We like hiking in the woods.

Is Mid-town the place for us, or are the schools for our son sketch-o.

I do not want my house to be under water EVER.

Help?
All of downtown and it's old neighborhoods could be underwater.

I have friends with kids in Midtown (22nd and Capitol area) and they love it. On Fridays a few families will meet up, sit on the steps of their big ole Victorian and hang while the kids draw with sidewalk chalk and after a beer we'll walk over for pizza at Slices. It's fun.

The schools are no good and you will run into bums.

Go a little farther than Midtown and look at Curtis Park.

Last edited by cw68; 03-09-2007 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-09-2007, 11:05 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,715,051 times
Okay - I lived in Midtown for 8 years - and I also have small children

I loved Midtown - it's wonerful if you have kids who ARE NOT school age. The schools are crap unfortunately - if you can try and get your child into a school in East Sac that will be your best bet - that or a Montessori. But still will be a so so education.

The midtown elementary is on F st - and it's way ESL and last time I checked the stats about 75% use assisted lunch program.

But I loved living there with my son - we moved when he was about 4. He needed a good school. My best friend did the same thing, she moved just as her daughter approached kindergarten.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Okay - I lived in Midtown for 8 years - and I also have small children

I loved Midtown - it's wonerful if you have kids who ARE NOT school age. The schools are crap unfortunately - if you can try and get your child into a school in East Sac that will be your best bet - that or a Montessori. But still will be a so so education.

The midtown elementary is on F st - and it's way ESL and last time I checked the stats about 75% use assisted lunch program.

But I loved living there with my son - we moved when he was about 4. He needed a good school. My best friend did the same thing, she moved just as her daughter approached kindergarten.
Good point on the schools. The elementary school in Curtis Park isn't good either. Land Park's elementary school is excellent, but it's not as funky of a neighborhood. That said, you could easily find a good rental and garden away (I miss the gardening there! Darn rocky Folsom soil... ) to your heart's content. You can also walk the neighborhood and hang out with the neighbors. Very friendly. Easy to get to 20th & K.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:37 AM

Oh I remember there is a Catholic school that is pretty good down there! If you don't mind private schools

And I will say again - I loved living there - I miss it terribly, but it is not good for school age children's education

Old 03-09-2007, 03:51 PM

64 posts, read 308,181 times
Default Schools in downtown

I think the school you are thinking of is St. Francis. Not sure how easy it is to get into since everyone and their brother wants to get into it now.

At 20th and K you will get homeless. There are also a few halfway houses spread throughout downtown and midtown, just not a good area for children.

The area north of the Ruddy Duck (off Richards and the 5 interstate) is Natomas. The bad areas there continue north and east to the El Camino area and into Del Paso.

There used to be a little section called Woodlake but they are a small island of niceness being push against by the sea of nastiness that is Del Paso and the "Uptown" district.

Your best bet is to get into East Sac or out into the suburbs. Rents in East Sac are starting to resemble BA prices.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:45 AM

7 posts, read 19,880 times
Default As far as the suburbs go...

Thanks for all of the great insight. I am leaning towards Folsom because it appears to be nice and cute. It seems to fit many (not all) of my preferences and there is a light rail into the city. Roseville seems nice but no train, no deal.

What about the Carmichael area? It is 1/2 way between Folsom and Midtown and still close to the lightrail. Is it nice? Good schools? Is there a distinct downtown area like Folsom or is it suburban sprawl?

Natomis area it outsville because it is a disaster waiting to happen. I don't even want to know who scratched who where to build those homes.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all of the great insight. I am leaning towards Folsom because it appears to be nice and cute. It seems to fit many (not all) of my preferences and there is a light rail into the city. Roseville seems nice but no train, no deal.

What about the Carmichael area? It is 1/2 way between Folsom and Midtown and still close to the lightrail. Is it nice? Good schools? Is there a distinct downtown area like Folsom or is it suburban sprawl?

Natomis area it outsville because it is a disaster waiting to happen. I don't even want to know who scratched who where to build those homes.
Given what you've said, you wouldn't like Natomas anyway.

I really think you should look at some of the old neighborhoods (East Sac, Land Park and Curtis Park) because they fit what you framed your family. Land Park's elementary school (Crocker-Riverside) has the best test scores in the entire region. Middle school isn't that good, but the high school is. (Liberal Arts program at McClatchy High)

I live in Folsom right now and it's fine and all, but you're not going to find that walkability, neighborhoody factor you mentioned. This is a car and strip mall town full of chains. Great trails, that's true, and very family centric, yes. The schools are top-notch. Also very conservative and religious. If you are looking for a church, there's a slew of them out here from which to choose. (But if you aren't, your kids will get Bibles from the neighbors for their birthdays and their 6-year old will tell your 5-year old that she's going to hell. Happened to us.)

Carmichael is meh. You might want to look at Old Fair Oaks. Neat little square area with shops and restaurants. Cute older homes. And roosters!

Old 03-10-2007, 02:27 PM

I ditto Cw68

I'm guessing you want to walk around or bike around, and you want kitchy eclectic.

Folsom is not that - it's yuppie and strip mall hell. It IS nice - and the schools are great - but it's not you were telling us you were looking for.

Carmichael is iffy - it's were yuppie went in the 80s and then vacated..the school district is San Juan - so it's better then Sac District. There are okay parts of Carmichael - the rest is crap.

I like Land Park too, Curtis Park is okay, and Hollywood park is getting cleaned up - so is Tahoe Park/Oak Park but they too are a bit iffy

What is your Budget? I'd still say midtown if you can get your kid into a montessori (NOT PUBLIC SCHOOL) or East Sac (expensive, but wonderful)

I too like Old Fair Oaks And I think it's the San Juan School ditrict

I would say maybe you shouold research schools and then see which areas they are in, and pick from THOSE nighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento