Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:54 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times

Advertisements

What's to explain, it was my experience overall.

Take it as you will. Don't get your knickers in a twist about it...there's nothing to argue about.

I don't "claim" to have lived there. I did live there..even bought our first house and my two youngest were born right at Sutter. (Ate at Selland's every week for those fab sandwiches in case the OP needed a tip on great food).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:02 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
What's to explain, it was my experience overall.

Take it as you will. Don't get your knickers in a twist about it...there's nothing to argue about.

I don't "claim" to have lived there. I did live there..even bought our first house and my two youngest were born right at Sutter. (Ate at Selland's every week for those fab sandwiches in case the OP needed a tip on great food).
You claim I don't understand, I gave you a chance to explain, you couldn't do it.

You are either stupid or don't even believe it yourself. I would guess the latter MOD CUT. This is why I don't even bother jumping into these debates when people try to paint Sacramento with some totally inaccurate brush. Every single time people can't even back up their claims.

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-18-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: c'mon, don't get personal

Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
There is no food, no libraries, no cafes, it's 110 degrees everyday, and the tap water is brown here.
I guess you won't be hired by the Chamber of Commerce.

Actually, you are kind of right about the lack of libraries. In a metro area this size we are a bit lacking in libraries. Regarding your water comment, I have found that the late afternoon summer air can turn somewhat brown, but not the water.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:33 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Okay, you seem to want tangible proof on my experiences. Here's a few since you obviously want to debate this with me.

When I first bought my house, EVERY single neighbor on the block brought a welcome basket full of homemade jams/cookies/bread/houseplants etc. I never experienced this before being a former city girl.

When I first stepped into Raley's and every time after I was greeted with genuinely nice, chatty, cashiers. They remembered me every time after that. Same experience at several restaurants too.

My first week I was invited to a 4th of July block party in the Fab 40's where little kids rode their trikes through the entire neighborhood w/ red,white, blue flags/decorations whilst waving at all the people partying/bbq on the lawns. I was invited into several houses that day..even though I just met them.

When I went downtown to get my nose nose pierced I was greeted by the friendliest, no attitude, "piercers" and tattoo artists I've ever met. Try getting happy, positive people in San Fran to do it..(have plenty of experience over the years with this one)

I live 10 minutes from Berkeley, but I'm from the City ..I'm not saying it's an unfriendly place (I absolutely LOVE the Bay Area- it's my home, and I'm so glad to be back after being a nomad for so long) ..there's just generally more angst and attitude and image to uphold here in the Bay Area (I'm obviously much older than you and probably used to be part of the problem with the attitude).

Shall I go on? Or do you want to drag this out even longer. So you think Berkeley (or the general Bay Area) is friendly..cool. I'm not here to argue with your experiences of visiting the place.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Davis is a small town, a *lot* smaller than Sacramento. It has a cute little downtown and collegey activities, but if your idea is to live in Davis rather than Sacramento to avoid being bored you're not doing yourself any favors, and you will end up spending a lot more money and time commuting. There are some things to do in Davis, but numbers-wise there is a lot more to do in Sacramento, and if you really want to go see a show in Davis you can just go to Davis for that show.

Rents in Davis are generally higher than rents in Sacramento.
I live in Davis and I would agree. I work on campus so living here is great for me because I can bike to work in 10 minutes and I enjoy the downtown and concerts at the Mondavi Center. But I wouldn't live here and commute to Sac State as a student. It's not THAT far, but it would get old after awhile and to no real good purpose. Find a little place in Midtown or near the campus. There is plenty to do in Sacramento.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:51 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,855 times
In terms of what you are looking for, I think Davis is probably a better fit than midtown. Midtown is a really small area and it does skew a lot older.

There are about 60 thousand people in the city of Davis and the University has about 30 thousand students. Most live in Davis.

If you like getting around by bike there is no better place in the country than Davis. According to the census bureau there is no place in the country with a higher share of people getting around by bike than in Davis. You can pretty much go anywhere in Davis by bike. It has an incredible system of bike paths that tie the entire community together, there is the Davis bike loop that goes around the entire community and a series of connecting bike paths that connect the entire city together so you can pretty much drive almost anywhere in Davis without ever having to deal with auto traffic. The bike paths are lit and usable 24 hours a day. Its an amazing system. You also have a great local bike culture that you just won't find anywhere else in the region. People who like bikes move to Davis to be part of that bike scene.

http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle/maps...ns/bikemap.pdf

Davis Bicycles! - Davis Bicycle Loop (http://www.davisbicycles.org/guide/bikeloop/ - broken link)

Bicycle Friendly Community Profiles

C.I.C.L.E. ::*»*We're Bike City, USA (http://www.cicle.org/cicle_content/pivot/entry.php?id=24 - broken link)

In terms of food and restaurants, students tend to skip cooking and go out a lot. So you really do have an incredible density and diversity of restaurants in Davis.

Midtown isn't a terrible choice, but its a much smaller community both in size and scope. Unless you are older, I suspect Davis is probably a better choice.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:55 PM

56 posts, read 250,148 times
Clongirl wrote, speaking of Sacramento:

''It's actually more culturally diverse than the Bay Area in terms of different nationalities.''

According to the U.S. census, Oakland and Long Beach, California are the most ethnically diverse cities in the United States.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_deathrage View Post
If you like getting around by bike there is no better place in the country than Davis. According to the census bureau there is no place in the country with a higher share of people getting around by bike than in Davis. You can pretty much go anywhere in Davis by bike. It has an incredible system of bike paths that tie the entire community together, there is the Davis bike loop that goes around the entire community and a series of connecting bike paths that connect the entire city together so you can pretty much drive almost anywhere in Davis without ever having to deal with auto traffic. The bike paths are lit and usable 24 hours a day. Its an amazing system. You also have a great local bike culture that you just won't find anywhere else in the region. People who like bikes move to Davis to be part of that bike scene.

http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle/maps...ns/bikemap.pdf

Davis Bicycles! - Davis Bicycle Loop (http://www.davisbicycles.org/guide/bikeloop/ - broken link)

Bicycle Friendly Community Profiles

C.I.C.L.E. ::*»*We're Bike City, USA (http://www.cicle.org/cicle_content/pivot/entry.php?id=24 - broken link)

Midtown isn't a terrible choice, but its a much smaller community both in size and scope. Unless you are older, I suspect Davis is probably a better choice.
But if she's commuting to Sac State, her bike riding will be confined to recreational riding, and she can do that on the American River Parkway on weekends, as I did when I lived in Midtown 20 years ago. I don't see how the bike culture here in Davis benefits anyone who works out of town, except for weekend recreational riding, and there are other places to do that. Plus, the rents are higher, as wburg pointed out. Just my opinion...I suppose some people would think it worth the commute, but I prefer to live near where I work and use my car to escape to fun on weekends.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,855 times
Its not clear that she is actually going to Sac State. UC Davis offers the program she is interested in. It also provides a shuttle between the medical center and the main campus if she needs to go out to the Med Center.

UC Davis School of Medicine, Family Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants

Shuttle Service (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/parking/transportation/campus_timetable.html - broken link)

CSUS doesn't appear to offer a nurse practitioner/physician assistant program.

Division of Nursing - California State University, Sacramento (http://www.hhs.csus.edu/NRS/graduate.asp - broken link)

Given her stated interests I just think Davis sounds like a much better fit.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_deathrage View Post
Its not clear that she is actually going to Sac State. UC Davis offers the program she is interested in...
Ah, I somehow missed that. Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough.

I prefer Davis over Sac myself, but I just didn't think it was worth the commute for a student going to school out there.

"Never mind."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento