Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,397 times

Advertisements

In San Jose:
Cisco Systems
Atmel
Adobe
Cypress Semiconductors
eBay
Hitachi
Xilinx
All those cities are on top of eachother anyway.
San Jose, Mountian View, Milpitas, Sunnyvale, Cupertino and Santa Clara are all right next to each other. If you weren't from there you probably wouldn't know the difference or where one turned into the other.
If you include the other cities I listed you would add Intel, Sandisk, Yahoo!, Sun microsystems, Symantec, McAfee, Intuit, Applied Materials, Actel, Apple, Google, and many others.
It only takes 15 min to get to Mountain View from San Jose. So really is it that big of a deal. The money all those companies make benefit the south bay which SJ is a large part of. Many of the people who work in those companies also live in SJ.

Last edited by SJbaby; 04-12-2011 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,264,386 times
If you love man jose and hanging out with a bunch of computer nerds at starbucks on friday night, more power to you.

Most people here prefer a real city and environments that aren't a sausage fest.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJbaby View Post
SJ has a lot of things going for it. Im guessing you don't spend much time there. My grandparents were retired in the Sacramento area.
No, I don't. I don't think San Jose is a bad place, and if you like it, that's just fine by me. I just plan to correct what appear to be misconceptions about Sacramento.
Quote:
It has San Jose State and Santa Clara University. Both are good schools. SCU more so than SJSU which is in the heart of downtown. There are also numerous community and vocational colleges in SJ. Stanford and Palo Atlo are about 30 mins away. SJ has a great downtown where the city hosts music in the park every Thursday in the Summer not just once a month like Sac. we also have Christmas in the park every year.
Sacramento also has Sacramento State, and numerous community and vocational colleges (Sac City, Cosumnes River, Academy of Art, etc.) Sacramento has a great downtown core, including and Midtown, where the city hosts music in the park every Friday in the Summer (not once a month), plus monthly Second Saturday events, the Jazz Festival, Pacific Rim Festival, Chinatown festival, Gold Rush Days, and innumerable musical and cultural events for those who bother to look for them.

Quote:
San Jose has a lower crime rate and a better public school system. Every neighborhood (willowglen, rosegarden, alumrock, etc) has its own new or renovated library. Its a family city. Unlike sactown San Jose has a large number of immigrants which brings a lot of diversity. In the SJ area there are a number of Sudanese as well as ethiopian immigrant/refugees as well as Hispanic and asian (mainly Vietnamese). I recently moved to western Colorado and I really miss the diversity of SJ. I also miss my bay slang.
Sacramento is best known as a family city (in fact, a lot of criticisms of Sacramento feel that it is two family-oriented) and is very diverse (with ethnic populations dating back to the Gold Rush)--although, as mentioned above, we're more of a working-class city. We've got some room for improvement. I'm fine with that. But I kind of like Sacramento's grittiness, and know more than a few local people with advanced degrees who are more comfortable in dive bars drinking Pabst than in fancy restaurants sipping wine.
Quote:
SJ also has the Sharks. The Sharks do well every year and have a huge fan base in the bay. And the Kings are leaving Sac so besides being the capital I really dont see Sacramento being the most booming place. Population wise SJ is the 3rd largest city in the state. The way its spread out is part of its beauty. Its a big city w/o the harsf big city feel. It was an amazing place to grow up. But its all about personal preference.
Personal preference is fine too--my preference for Sacramento over San Jose is basically due to personal preference. I don't give a hoot about sports so the Kings or the Sharks or whatever doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. But a lot of criticism leveled at Sacramento is not actually factual, or based on limited knowledge of the city.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,165 times
Whats with people from bland jose coming here to reply to 2 year old threads?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,353,364 times
What's with Sacramento's irrational contempt for a city that's not very different?

Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJbaby View Post
Unlike sactown San Jose has a large number of immigrants which brings a lot of diversity. In the SJ area there are a number of Sudanese as well as ethiopian immigrant/refugees as well as Hispanic and asian (mainly Vietnamese). I recently moved to western Colorado and I really miss the diversity of SJ.
Welcome to America's Most Diverse City - TIME

Old 04-13-2011, 03:11 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,264,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
What's with Sacramento's irrational contempt for a city that's not very different?
Who is the one who bumped this thread? A SJ resident.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:24 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,353,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Who is the one who bumped this thread? A SJ resident.
And, as far as I can tell, they weren't obsessed with bashing Sac.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,541 times
The biggest difference between SJ and Sacramento is that San Jose has a true and real vibrant downtown, which is the one of the best, if not the best downtown in the country. Sacramento's downtown is a dead downtown that struggles. Heck, they just ruined the bid to bring Kings to a newly built arena, which unfortunately never be built, downtown Sacratomato. Ah, what the population? San Jose is 945,000 vs Sac. 400,000. San Jose wrestles Sacramento to the floor without any hope for Sacratomato to recover.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,165 times
If you guys spent as much time in downtown san jose as you do talking about it there might actually be some people walking around there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento