Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,095 times

Advertisements

So I want a master's degree in business. I went to Davis where I didn't do so well because I wasn't interested in my major. I was in it just for the money, but the classes bored me so I never went. I know go tyo Sac state. I am now on the right track and have gotten 8 A's and 1 B in the last year. I love my classes and my new major. My overall GPA is probably around 2.9, it would be 3.1 if it wasn't for my Davis grades. What are my chances of getting into a master's program at any school? It doesn't matter if it's California or not. I know most school's require a minimum of a 3.0 which concerns me. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,017,361 times
Look into the specific requirements of the schools you want to attend. Some only look at your last 60 hours and some put more emphasis on your GMAT scores and some will take into account experience and activities. I'm sure you could get into grad school somewhere, but whether or not you can get in where you want to go is all that matters. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,185,868 times
Is budget important? Private school or public school out of state will be expensive, but maybe easier to get into. Will you get into a Masters program? Depends on the program, so you should talk with counselors at Sac State, as well as any schools you consider, about your chances. I got my Masters (International Management), 25 years after my B.A., going at night at the Univrsity of Maryland University College (they now have programs completely online, as to many other schools), and I don't remember showing my undergrad GPA. You don't address the obvious question: have you looked at the graduate business programs at Sac State (and other Cal State University campuses)? Did they say your GPA wasn't high enough? Did they give you any ideas?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 PM

4,068 posts, read 3,334,045 times
It depends on the program and the University. Your best bet is too actually call the University itself. I have friends who teach at CSUS, what they were saying is that in a lot of programs (at the major research universities) what happens is that if you apply for a PHD and wash out then they will award you Masters, this is the primary route people get masters in Psychology from say Stanford, Stanford is rarely going to admit someone to their programs to just get masters degree. On the hand the reason that schools like CSUS offer masters programs is to help people who wouldn't otherwise have the grades and test scores get into a PhD program get into a PhD program. Based upon the strength of their Master's thesis at CSUS they can use that to leverage themselves into a PhD program at a research University, so the admissions process to get into these programs is a lot less competitive. Now one of the differences between getting a your grad degree from a research university vs a CSU is financial support. If you get in to PhD program usually the research university will provide funding to get you through most programs, but you may have to come up with more of the actual cost for the program if you go and get your masters at a CSU campus.

Lastly it depends upon what areas you are getting the masters program in. The reason people get a masters in accounting today is less to get into a PhD program than to just qualify to sit for the CPA program. For these types of programs the University likely isn't going to offer financial support, but that is because often your employer may pick up the cost of getting the degree. But its really worth your while to talk to some one in the program you are considering applying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento