Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:12 PM

18 posts, read 66,819 times

Advertisements

I just got an apartment right next to the anerican river. i love to fish. pretty good lake and ocean fisherman. never been a good river fisherman. how do i fish this river? what bait? species? help me haha. because i"ll be fishing this for a long time. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 89,410 times
i love to fish too. can you tell me what kinds of fishes usually available in the rivers around sac-stkn area? i live near sacramento river. thanx!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:52 PM

15 posts, read 67,698 times
I have caught striper many times in the american river from a boat. Usually good around march-july

Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian31 View Post
I just got an apartment right next to the anerican river. i love to fish. pretty good lake and ocean fisherman. never been a good river fisherman. how do i fish this river? what bait? species? help me haha. because i"ll be fishing this for a long time. thanks.
1. Put worm on hook.

2. Put hook in water.

3. Wait for bite.

4. Reel it in!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
Go here: The Fish Sniffer Newspaper Online

It's based in Elk Grove and has a ton of info and forums about fishing in the American River, The Sacramento River, and the Delta.

The Sacramento and American have some great Striper, Steelhead, and Salmon runs.

They also have huge crowds of fishermen.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:33 PM

5 posts, read 89,410 times
they have catfish too? any shrimp around the delta?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM

53 posts, read 506,118 times
Right now the shad are running. You can catch them on crappie **** or small grubs. Throw a pink grub and slip bobber with about 4-6 feet of leader. If you can find a school you can catch one after another. You can catch them on light tackle similar to a rainbow trout rod and reel, but hold on tight because they are scrappers when hooked and a 4-5 pound female can easily break off 6 pound test line. Just go down to the river and find a spot you can cast from the shore. Ask other fisherman if they are catching shad to get an idea of where they are at. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM

248 posts, read 803,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian31 View Post
I used to live by the Watt Ave. access and would fish as often as possible (before & aft work). I would usually work the stretch of American from Watt ave down to Sac State-either side.
Get a bike and explore the trails along the river, there are lots of spots to work- just watch out for rattlers when the weather warms up.

Salmon- that used to be blast till the ban came....hopefully their numbers will increase..

Stripers are my favorite fish to fish for, especially when working a top water lure in the early am or dusk hours-they would scare the crap outta you when they would hit-my fav lures would be the jointed Rapalas.
However, I did catch a nice fatty (41") when I was looking for Black Bass (4" rubber worm) and managed to land her using ultra lite tackle-that was a good day ( I did release her back into the river-she was a pregnant cow)

Black Bass-the lagoon areas upstream from Howe Ave. used to produce some decent fish, but it's been awhile since I've been down there. Too many dip****s know about that area and trashed the place. There's also some hawgs in the lagoons behind Rio Americano HS. Plastics rule in both locations.

Shad-wayy too much fun and the tackle is cheap. Get some Shad **** in a few different colors- the red/white seem to work the best.
I like to work the north side of the American up stream from Howe Ave.-it's slow & deep in that area with relatively little snags.

Steelhead- I like the area under Howe Ave. and the big drain pipe just down stream from there. I've caught a lot fish in that area. Read your regs tho if your fishing for them-I would use a single barbless hook on a chrome kastmaster just in case a F&G warden was watchin.

There's also some trash fish that would get on my hook once in a while-split tails and an occasional sucker fish.

Never really went catfishin' in the American, I would usually head out to the Sacramento River for that.

Check out the Fishsniffer link that was posted-tons of info on that site.
I'll be out this weekend shad fishin' around the Howe Ave. area and I'll post up any fishing reports

Old 06-09-2010, 06:23 PM

212 posts, read 475,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactoslacker View Post
I used to live by the Watt Ave. access and would fish as often as possible (before & aft work). I would usually work the stretch of American from Watt ave down to Sac State-either side.
Get a bike and explore the trails along the river, there are lots of spots to work- just watch out for rattlers when the weather warms up.

Salmon- that used to be blast till the ban came....hopefully their numbers will increase..

Stripers are my favorite fish to fish for, especially when working a top water lure in the early am or dusk hours-they would scare the crap outta you when they would hit-my fav lures would be the jointed Rapalas.
However, I did catch a nice fatty (41") when I was looking for Black Bass (4" rubber worm) and managed to land her using ultra lite tackle-that was a good day ( I did release her back into the river-she was a pregnant cow)

Black Bass-the lagoon areas upstream from Howe Ave. used to produce some decent fish, but it's been awhile since I've been down there. Too many dip****s know about that area and trashed the place. There's also some hawgs in the lagoons behind Rio Americano HS. Plastics rule in both locations.

Shad-wayy too much fun and the tackle is cheap. Get some Shad **** in a few different colors- the red/white seem to work the best.
I like to work the north side of the American up stream from Howe Ave.-it's slow & deep in that area with relatively little snags.

Steelhead- I like the area under Howe Ave. and the big drain pipe just down stream from there. I've caught a lot fish in that area. Read your regs tho if your fishing for them-I would use a single barbless hook on a chrome kastmaster just in case a F&G warden was watchin.

There's also some trash fish that would get on my hook once in a while-split tails and an occasional sucker fish.

Never really went catfishin' in the American, I would usually head out to the Sacramento River for that.

Check out the Fishsniffer link that was posted-tons of info on that site.
I'll be out this weekend shad fishin' around the Howe Ave. area and I'll post up any fishing reports

Big applause! I could not agree more with Sactoslacker.

I only want to reinforce that Salmon fishing is a absolute kick in the tail. I hope hope hope their numbers come up enough to fish soon. There is nothing like getting a large silver on a line...

Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM

248 posts, read 803,209 times
A lil side note to my earlier post. If you do go down to the Watt Ave. access, especially on the southside and downstream from the bridge, you may see things that you don't want to see......apparently that's a hot spot for homosexual men's to hook up and do what they do in the bushes down there....
I accidentally saw 2 guys doing oral down there, fuggin gross..... now you've be warned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento