Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Oregon: graphic design college, find a job, affordable, great schools, buy a house.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:13 PM

59 posts, read 270,889 times

Advertisements

I should add that I agree with earlier posters who are steering you toward Keizer and South Salem. West Salem is one of the more desirable places in Salem, also.

It's hard for me to relate to Kristy because I live in a place where the cost of living is so much more expensive than Oregon (Seattle). So to me, the Willamette Valley seems affordable. It's all relative. I couldn't afford to live in California or New England, so there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:09 PM

48 posts, read 158,985 times
Red face Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapped70 View Post
I've read through quite a few posts and done a lot of homework on Oregon, but still find some things a bit vague. We have never been to Oregon before, so any info, however mundane it may seem to you would likely be of great help to us. I am particularly interested in the schools (I have a 1 year old and a 19 year old - the 19 year old was in the local community college for graphic design how's the graphic design programs out there?) I have also heard the schools are overcrowded. How are allergies there? Are the people pretty friendly? So far, I have read a lot from some pretty good people on this site. I am a RN, and my husband has been in manufacturing for the last 3 years, how are the employment prospects? We will also be looking into getting a house down the road (renting first for a while). I have heard a lot of things about how the gov. owns so much land, is it possible to find a reasonably priced house in a nice family oriented neighborhood? What towns do you think are good and why? Any info, positive or negative is greatly appreciated.
Just out of curiosity, why are you leaving Iowa?
Rains and is cloudy 7 or 8 months of the year. Not much in the way of health care unless you are employed. You might want to stay away from NE Salem and Lancaster Blvd. Many illegal immigrants. Lots of traffic in Salem. Downtown Salem and South Salem are all right. Some of the parks are pretty nice. I've heard Salem schools are much better than Keizer's.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:55 PM

8 posts, read 52,534 times
Default Another person interested in Salem, OR

What is the political/religious climate in Salem? Would an agnostic Democrat be socially comfortable there? I made the mistake of relocating to San Diego from CT without checking out that part of life and I feel like I've been hiding part of my identity for years now. I would like to live somewhere where different views are at least tolerated.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:18 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
I would say Salem is relatively conservative. I'm a Christian Independent (dontcha just LOVE labels?) and I've noticed a distinct change towards more liberalism in this area. I think that might be due to the location of state government. But then, it's all relative. There's a lot of churches and they are heavily involved in community affairs--at risk youth, single mothers, homeless, etc. If you don't like an environment that has a vibrant, involved Christian community, you might not like Salem.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:33 PM

114 posts, read 572,553 times
I'm an agnostic too and my wife is religious but we don't have a problem and we just go on and live our lives and in all the places we've been, it's never been a problem.

That includes sacramento, sandiego, Medford, stockton, fresno, paso robles - only a few have asked us.

Most realize that if they don't see us gone on sunday morning or in their church - probably we are not like them.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:41 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I lived in Portland for 9 years, and now Salem for almost 8. Salem hospital and Silverton hospital are great. There is shortage of nurses and you should have no trouble finding a job. Graphic design is very competative here, but Portland has some excellent companies including Weiden and Kennedy (which was mentioned in another comment).

Salem is a great family place. I have a 7 and 5 year old. My son goes to Schirle elementary and his first grade class has 23 kids. I volunteer in his class once a week and his teacher is great. For family areas, I would look at Keizer, south and west Salem. North Albany also has good schools, as does Corvallis.

My husband has asthma and his allergies flair up in the Spring and fall. Mold and pollen, I think are the two biggest culprits out here.

I think people are friendly in both Portland and Salem. I think Oregon, in general, is a welcoming state.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 PM

152 posts, read 530,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapped70 View Post
I've read through quite a few posts and done a lot of homework on Oregon, but still find some things a bit vague. We have never been to Oregon before, so any info, however mundane it may seem to you would likely be of great help to us. I am particularly interested in the schools (I have a 1 year old and a 19 year old - the 19 year old was in the local community college for graphic design how's the graphic design programs out there?) I have also heard the schools are overcrowded. How are allergies there? Are the people pretty friendly? So far, I have read a lot from some pretty good people on this site. I am a RN, and my husband has been in manufacturing for the last 3 years, how are the employment prospects? We will also be looking into getting a house down the road (renting first for a while). I have heard a lot of things about how the gov. owns so much land, is it possible to find a reasonably priced house in a nice family oriented neighborhood? What towns do you think are good and why? Any info, positive or negative is greatly appreciated.
Hi, I also am in the health care field, lots of jobs in long term care, hospitals require some speciality exp. The valley is the grass seed capital of the world so do be aware, it is really exceptionally severe in the Eugene area, now i am retired out of state due to the increasing cost of living, schools are an area by area situation. The market is soft so take your time buying a home, there will be many good deals coming, good luck

Old 12-16-2007, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,275 times
Smile Albany area

If you are thinking of moving to Albany, I can make suggestions. I've lived here my entire life and have lived in several areas of town.
If you are looking for good grade, middle, or high schools... consider North Albany. It is in a different county (Benton rather than Linn) and the homes, location, and schools are really the best, in my opinion. The property there may be a bit more expensive than in other areas of town, but the people are more personable and much more parental involvement in the schools making for a better education.
West Albany area is more affordable and still great schools. Yes, unfortunately the middle and high schools are more crowded than should be.
Albany is a great community to live & work in with much less traffic & crime than in Salem. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem