Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 31,681 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Salem together with my husband.

We are both very happy, we have been living to long in Coos Bay, where we both hated to live, so we can not wait to go to Salem

My husband is from Eugene, I am from Nothern Europe, we are both very liberal and looking forward to living in Salem for a while, before moving to Europe together...

We do not know a lot about Salem, we always go to Eugene or Portland, so if you are from Salem tell me everything about it

Do Salem have nice shopping? Good food? Any nice gym you can recomend? Any places to go wine tasting?

Horse riding? I love horses and would love to do that again....

What about culture and nice places to enjoy? Any community gardens?

Just want to know anything about Salem and the area in general

And if you could recomend a Vet, we got to cats

So happy to be moving there.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,532 times
Hi
I live in salem and a have cocker spaniel and we have an excellent Vet in Keizer..Creekside Veternairy Clinic is right next to the Keizer Post Office..He is good and listens to you too..
Come visit my favorite play ground, Oregon gardens..i'm a hort volunteer out there and love it..
There are lots of community gardens..The AG extension office on Center Street has a list of most of them..
Good luck with your move and I know you'll like Salem

Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Hi
I live in salem and a have cocker spaniel and we have an excellent Vet in Keizer..Creekside Veternairy Clinic is right next to the Keizer Post Office..He is good and listens to you too..
Come visit my favorite play ground, Oregon gardens..i'm a hort volunteer out there and love it..
There are lots of community gardens..The AG extension office on Center Street has a list of most of them..
Good luck with your move and I know you'll like Salem
Thank you so much for all you info

Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europe24 View Post

We are both very happy, we have been living to long in Coos Bay, where we both hated to live, so we can not wait to go to Salem

My husband is from Eugene, I am from Nothern Europe, we are both very liberal and looking forward to living in Salem for a while, before moving to Europe together...

We do not know a lot about Salem, we always go to Eugene or Portland, so if you are from Salem tell me everything about it

Do Salem have nice shopping? Good food? Any nice gym you can recomend? Any places to go wine tasting?

Thanks.
Nice shopping? Well most people go to the Woodburn Outlet Mall which has everything. If you need trendy things, then Bridgeport Plaza is in Tualatin. Otherwise we have everything you need here on a regular basis.

Good Food? Word of Mouth Bistro is yummy, La Capitale, Morton's, Rudy's has great crab cakes, Wild Pear, Bentley's is hit and miss, but I like the atmosphere. Christo's has good pizza.

Wine Tasting? Lots in the area. Torii Mor in Dundee is one of my favorites.

Gym-I belong to Courthouse Athletic Club, but the new Kroc center is pretty incredible. Depends on where you live.

I don't know about horse back riding but there are several places to go.

Usually culture and Salem don't go together. Salem is a very family oriented city so nightlife/theater isn't a big part of our culture. Most people head to Portland for that. We are much more laid back here. Pub Crawls, Roller Derby...that kind of stuff. We do have a really great art fair every year.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 AM

899 posts, read 2,942,532 times
I'm a big baseball fan so my husband and I love to go watch the Keizer Volcano's (farm club of the SF Giants)play ball at Volcano stadium in Keizer..It is a lot of fun and you see these young men who some day will be major league players..You can booo the umpires , stomp, watch the traffic on I-5 and just have a fun evening..

Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,457 times
Salem has a great number of both liberals and conservatives. Willamette University is a very liberal school and many younger population here tend to be liberal. But traditionally I believe it's a conservative town as I noticed a great number of conservatives here as well (usually older folks).

As far as food, there is pretty much all corporate American chains here including McGrath's and Red Lobsters. Ethnic food is great here too. There is a great number of hispanic population and you will find many great Mexican restaurants especially around Landcaster. There are conveyor sushi places named Sushi Kyo on Landcaster and Su****opia on State St. in downtown. I have seen two Indian restaurants, one Greek restaurant, one quick French restaurant, and a number of Chinese restaurants. I haven't really found a really good Chinese restaurant around here though. They all seem too bland... without much authenticity.

Weather is usually wet except in springs and summers but somewhat drier than Seattle weather. It's got the big city, the coast, and mountains all within around an hour distance.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:27 PM

Thanks for all the tips

Old 12-24-2010, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,875 times
stay away from salem its the arm pitt of hell on earth i loathe every miserable minute of my existance here.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europe24 View Post

Thanks.
I can answer some....

Silverfall mentioned some good restaurants; you also should try the Off Center Cafe. It's on the corner of 17th and Center streets. The food can be hit and miss as well and they did go through a transitional time when it wasn't so great, but for the most part it's good. The clientele tends to be liberal/arty types of people. It's a fun place to go.

The community garden there is pretty good. I can't recall the name of it but you could probably find it through a google search. The gardens at Bush Park are great too.

We used to rent a van and a driver and get a bunch together and go wine tasting once a year. Lots of small, family owned wineries in Yamhill county. Don't miss Mystic Vineyards. We also used to get together and go up to Silver Creek Falls and rent horses.

The Oregon Symphony holds performances at Willamette University pretty often, if you like that sort of thing. Willamette also has talks by authors and artists that are pretty interesting.

You can find culture in Salem if you look for it. It doesn't have all the choices that Portland does, but one good thing about that is that you tend to run into the same people at cultural events, so it's a good way to make friends.

Good luck. I enjoyed my time in Salem and I'm sure that you will too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem