Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 02:57 PM

26 posts, read 25,372 times

Advertisements

Surveyor or engineer to file LOMA,

anyone qualified nearby Salem, Albany, Scio?

I may need one if FEMA does not accept my documents.. (and their own maps)
I am in an X area, but some idiot put my property in the same circle (on a map) as many other properties for miles around... the FEMA map plainly shows it in the 'X' (low risk area) on close up, but if it is a small map of the whole area, it looks like it is in a creek.. home was built in 1924 (on 1 acre), and has never flooded..
getting screwed by mortgage company for flood insurance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 03:41 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
You need a surveyor. You can look up surveyors at PLSO. My go to surveyor retired a couple of months ago so I don't have a name for you. When you look through these, look for someone that can do eLOMAs. Only surveyors that have a history of solid good LOMA documentation can do the electronic ones. So you know you will be getting a good surveyor.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You need a surveyor. You can look up surveyors at PLSO. My go to surveyor retired a couple of months ago so I don't have a name for you. When you look through these, look for someone that can do eLOMAs. Only surveyors that have a history of solid good LOMA documentation can do the electronic ones. So you know you will be getting a good surveyor.
Thank you,
lets see how my first attempt goes..

Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
Thank you,
lets see how my first attempt goes..
You need to fight it. I went to a training on the NFIP recently and the Oregon person for NFIP said that insurance companies misreading flood maps is a chronic problem.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 PM

BTW, very sorry, I never followed up...

anyways, I got an engineer out of a major engineering firm in Albany to do the survey. (less then $300.00, I think it was.) It was above the line, so I sent the report to Fema and was removed from the FEMA flood map. Then the Mortgage company and Insurance was notified and my money was returned to me I had paid. I tried telling them water doesn't run uphill, but as usual the government didn't understand until I spent my own money to have a report made to send to FEMA. guilty until proven innocent. Wonderful country! (Sarcasm ...)

The home is on a small hill is 100 years old and has never flooded. But, since there are creeks in the area, someone who got a protractor for xmas decided to draw circles around creeks and rivers, probably from another state, who has never been here.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:47 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,855 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you for the follow up.

Having done a lot of research on flooding here in Houston, I understand the flood insurance cost concern. I ended up buying a home that is not in any flood area. In the last tax day flood there was water in the subdivision just blocks away. High and dry at my location. End un needed trivia.....

I am looking at property in Salem so again this post was very helpful. Probably be spring or summer 2017 before I pull the trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: