Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 07:50 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,052 times

Advertisements

Have you been to either school in the past... 5 years? Did you like your experience? The community? The city?
Basically, my husband is aiming for his Bachelor's in Elementary Education and WOU and OSU are two solid options. We've read/heard that WOU has a better Education program than OSU, yet OSU is a bigger school that he'd feel more pride graduating from. (I guess). So, he can't really decide which one to aim for. At the moment, he can basically transfer to WOU whenever he wants, but OSU is demanding he takes a couple more Community College courses before he bothers applying.

So, curious of people's experiences from each school and if they liked them. Or maybe you've been in the dilemma of choosing between two schools, and what it came down to for your final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
I've never heard that WOU has a better education program than OSU in the modern era, though once upon a time before it was a university it was the Oregon College of Education.

I think both schools have something going for them, but they're obviously quite different in terms of both scale and scope.

He should evaluate his particular area of interest (ElemEd, SPED, high school, etc.) and actually talk to the faculty who teach those areas, maybe even sit in on a class. [Also, look at their rate of success with job placement] Ideally apply to both for both admissions and financial aid. The fact that he still has pre-reqs for OSU is a consideration if he's in a rush to get started.

Ultimately I think where he can get in when he wants to start will be a major determinant, and location also matters. Not sure if you've been to Monmouth but there's not really a lot there. I'd wager most people who attend/work there are driving in from somewhere else (Salem/Albany/Corvallis/etc.). Corvallis is small, but comparably much larger and with a lot more going on in terms of entertainment/dining/services.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Is there a reason why he isn't considering U of O's College of Education? A Bachelor's degree isn't going to do too much for him for teaching in Oregon.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:39 PM

24 posts, read 56,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
Have you been to either school in the past... 5 years? Did you like your experience? The community? The city?
Basically, my husband is aiming for his Bachelor's in Elementary Education and WOU and OSU are two solid options. We've read/heard that WOU has a better Education program than OSU, yet OSU is a bigger school that he'd feel more pride graduating from. (I guess). So, he can't really decide which one to aim for. At the moment, he can basically transfer to WOU whenever he wants, but OSU is demanding he takes a couple more Community College courses before he bothers applying.

So, curious of people's experiences from each school and if they liked them. Or maybe you've been in the dilemma of choosing between two schools, and what it came down to for your final decision.
Hello. My nephew was accepted to OSU straight from high school. Are you sure about the pre reqs? Apply for both then make a choice just to make sure. Why not? Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem