Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of Salem Metro Area do you think is the best to live?
Silverton 4 33.33%
Keizer 1 8.33%
West Salem 1 8.33%
South Salem 5 41.67%
Monmouth-Independence 2 16.67%
Dallas 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:41 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCalif View Post
I grew up in San Francisco so I am used to cool, foggy and cloudy weather so it won't be an issue for me plus I like rain as well.
Zitsky's point still stands. The weather in the Willamette Valley does not compare to San Francisco. SF has a Mediterranean climate that is dry overall and, though there are rainy days, sun privation is not an issue as a break in the clouds is never very far off. Oregon's Willamette Valley is strongly seasonal. Summer is dry, sunny and warm (sometimes hot). Autumn is beautiful. Winter is typically long, dark and wet. The distinction between winter and spring is gradual and nuanced. Most people who live in Oregon like rain, but by early spring, the clouds get to be a bit much as the months roll on with little exposure to direct sunlight.

Given your age, you might actually consider living in Corvallis, especially the north side (possibly Adair, even). Church of the Good Samaritan there is well-regarded and there will be more for younger people to do than in Salem. The commute is a straight shot up 99W and takes less time than you might think. I took a summer course at WOU when I lived in Corvallis and rode my bike up and back most days (about an hour and a half each way...I was in good shape by the end of the summer). I wouldn't discount living in Monmouth, either. I'd chose living in Monmouth over living in Salem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 13,191 times
Quote:
I happen to be a Californian from Bay Area who will be relocating to Salem, OR for new job and to attend graduate school at Western Oregon University (WOU) in Monmouth. I'm fed up with insane cost of living and problems here in CA!
I moved to Oregon from the San Jose/Campbell area in 1996 for similar reasons (cost of living, traffic and a daughter who was entering middle school age and I didn't want her in California public schools)
Quote:
Do you think Oregonians may be unfriendly towards me since I am from California where it would be hard for me to make friends? What is dating scene in Salem like for young singles?
If you're nice to them, they'll be nice to you. There are strong liberals and strong conservatives in the area. Make sure you know your audience before stating any strong opinions and you'll be fine. I've had very few negative reactions to being a Californian.
Quote:
Is Salem really humid with bad drug problems especially meth?
I'm in Albany but work in Salem. I saw far more overall drug problems in San Jose but I will say that the meth problem here seems to be worse than the meth problem in San Jose. But again, overall drug abuse was far worse in San Jose (IMO - no factual data to support it either way)
Quote:
Is it easy to get used to alot of rain and gray in Salem?
Depends on the person. If you're accustomed to camping a lot, being on the lake and water skiing for a large portion of the year, then yes, it will be difficult. If you're more of an indoor sports person, a casual outdoorsy type or not into outdoor activities at all, you'll be fine. You'll get used to dodging rain drops without an umbrella for light sprinkles because the umbrella is more trouble than it's worth :-)
Quote:
I heard South Salem is the best area to live. Are there other highways that could go straight to Monmouth from South Salem without having to go through Salem to Rockrell then down to Monmouth?
I'm currently in Millersburg. My commute is 22 minutes on average and rarely has any traffic. Millersburg definitely does NOT have the night life you're looking for though.
Quote:
I love mild, cool weather without humidity like San Francisco.
If you like SF, you'll do GREAT here. I've spent a lot of time in SF and the weather is similar, SF has moisture in the fog and Oregon has it in the form of rain.
Quote:
Is that normal for Oregon even in Portland not to have good single dating scene since most people married early?
LOL... there may be some areas where hillbillies marry their cousins straight out of high school but I haven't seen that here. Actually, I've seen many people in my community waiting until late 20's or early 30's to marry.
Quote:
Back to Oregon point, I am used to earthquakes but not volcanoes though. I know volcanoes rarely happens but only lava can kill you not ashes because ashes are more like cloud of dust rather than hot, poisonious gas like those in Hawaii, right? If you stay inside or live very far away from volcanoes like in Salem, you will be fine plus lava will not go all the way to Salem, right?
This was the part of the thread that made me laugh and decide I needed to reply. Volcanos give quite a bit of warning before they blow. St. Helens, in Washington State, went off in 1980, long before I was here but I've talked to many that were. They talk about the nuisance of dusting ash off the cars every morning but little else. I'd be far more concerned about staying out of a flood zone than worrying about a volcano (CVO Website - Wright and Pierson, 1992, Active and Potentially Active Volcanoes in Oregon). And I'd take either of those over living through another surprise Loma Prieta earthquake again.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 PM

62 posts, read 277,756 times
I have been checking out what Salem has to offer. I noticed that Salem doesn't have alot to offer for a capital city of 154,000+ population with few colleges.

To me, Lancaster Mall is not considered as a mall due to lack of department stores.

There are 3 Wal-Marts but no Sam's Club.

I can't find Barnes & Noble Bestsellers store and the closest one is in Clackamas near Portland. Powell's Books is in Portland also.

My favorite places to dine out such as Krispy Kreme, Cheesecake Factory, Fuddrucker's, Maggiano's Little Italy, Dave & Buster's (Adult version of Chuck E. Cheese's), Culver's, Chick-Fil-A, Hardee's, Golden Corral, Backyard Burgers, Steak N Shakes, T.G.I. Friday's, and Donkin' Donuts aren't in Salem.

For whatever Salem lacks, you have to go to Woodburn Company Stores and Portland.

Is it just me or is Salem totally against economic growth and big chain stores with more variety of restaurants?

Maybe I'm just a spoiled Californian. LOL!

One more question: I saw on Internet that Oregon is one of the best states for both allergy and asthma sufferers to live due to no humidity and little smog.

However, I saw on some threads that Oregon is not good for allergy and asthma sufferers at all. Which is true?

I know Willamette Valley is the Capital of Grass Seeds but I don't think it ever gives me allergies.

It's sunshine and pollen off trees during early Spring that make me sneezing alot. Is that the case in Oregon? Could grass seeds give you bad allergies too?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted In Oregon View Post
I moved to Oregon from the San Jose/Campbell area in 1996 for similar reasons (cost of living, traffic and a daughter who was entering middle school age and I didn't want her in California public schools)

If you're nice to them, they'll be nice to you. There are strong liberals and strong conservatives in the area. Make sure you know your audience before stating any strong opinions and you'll be fine. I've had very few negative reactions to being a Californian.

I'm in Albany but work in Salem. I saw far more overall drug problems in San Jose but I will say that the meth problem here seems to be worse than the meth problem in San Jose. But again, overall drug abuse was far worse in San Jose (IMO - no factual data to support it either way)

Depends on the person. If you're accustomed to camping a lot, being on the lake and water skiing for a large portion of the year, then yes, it will be difficult. If you're more of an indoor sports person, a casual outdoorsy type or not into outdoor activities at all, you'll be fine. You'll get used to dodging rain drops without an umbrella for light sprinkles because the umbrella is more trouble than it's worth :-)
I'm currently in Millersburg. My commute is 22 minutes on average and rarely has any traffic. Millersburg definitely does NOT have the night life you're looking for though.

If you like SF, you'll do GREAT here. I've spent a lot of time in SF and the weather is similar, SF has moisture in the fog and Oregon has it in the form of rain.

LOL... there may be some areas where hillbillies marry their cousins straight out of high school but I haven't seen that here. Actually, I've seen many people in my community waiting until late 20's or early 30's to marry.

This was the part of the thread that made me laugh and decide I needed to reply. Volcanos give quite a bit of warning before they blow. St. Helens, in Washington State, went off in 1980, long before I was here but I've talked to many that were. They talk about the nuisance of dusting ash off the cars every morning but little else. I'd be far more concerned about staying out of a flood zone than worrying about a volcano (CVO Website - Wright and Pierson, 1992, Active and Potentially Active Volcanoes in Oregon). And I'd take either of those over living through another surprise Loma Prieta earthquake again.
I know floodings occur more often in Portland due to Columbia River even deadly ones like the Great Flood of 1996 that flood everywhere up to Oregon City.

We don't have to worry about floods in Salem unless people live close to the river, right? What about South Salem?

Oregon ranks 1st in wildfires so I am curious. Do we have to worry about wildfires in Salem?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:03 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
I have been checking out what Salem has to offer. I noticed that Salem doesn't have alot to offer for a capital city of 154,000+ population with few colleges.

To me, Lancaster Mall is not considered as a mall due to lack of department stores.
Salem Center is downtown.

Quote:
There are 3 Wal-Marts but no Sam's Club.
We have Costco instead.

Quote:
I can't find Barnes & Noble Bestsellers store and the closest one is in Clackamas near Portland. Powell's Books is in Portland also.
We have a Borders on Lancaster, but I like the Book Bin which is a local store. We also have the Tea Party Bookshop.

Quote:
My favorite places to dine out such as Krispy Kreme, Cheesecake Factory, Fuddrucker's, Maggiano's Little Italy, Dave & Buster's (Adult version of Chuck E. Cheese's), Culver's, Chick-Fil-A, Hardee's, Golden Corral, Backyard Burgers, Steak N Shakes, T.G.I. Friday's, and Donkin' Donuts aren't in Salem.
You're killing me here. I am so thankful we don't have those here as we have way too many chains already.

No offense but who dines at Krispy Kreme?

So in Salem you want to eat at...La Capitale, Word of Mouth Bistro, Christo's Pizza, Venti's, Wild Pear, Cascade Baking Company (forget the donuts and go here), Mortons, Da Vinci's, La Hacienda Real, where am I forgetting?

Quote:
Is it just me or is Salem totally against economic growth and big chain stores with more variety of restaurants?
Oregon is pro-Oregon. Salem probably has the most chains, which drives locals nuts. We'd much prefer mom and pop good local food.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I know floodings occur more often in Portland due to Columbia River even deadly ones like the Great Flood of 1996 that flood everywhere up to Oregon City.

We don't have to worry about floods in Salem unless people live close to the river, right? What about South Salem?

Oregon ranks 1st in wildfires so I am curious. Do we have to worry about wildfires in Salem?

You only have to worry about flooding if you live in a flood plain.

You don't have to worry about wildfires in Salem. We just have normal household fires here...for the most part.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM

Also we did have Dunkin Donuts here, but it went out of business. Most people here prefer local ingredients. You'll understand why when you start getting some good local produce and meats.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Salem Center is downtown.

We have Costco instead.

We have a Borders on Lancaster, but I like the Book Bin which is a local store. We also have the Tea Party Bookshop.

You're killing me here. I am so thankful we don't have those here as we have way too many chains already.

No offense but who dines at Krispy Kreme?

So in Salem you want to eat at...La Capitale, Word of Mouth Bistro, Christo's Pizza, Venti's, Wild Pear, Cascade Baking Company (forget the donuts and go here), Mortons, Da Vinci's, La Hacienda Real, where am I forgetting?

Oregon is pro-Oregon. Salem probably has the most chains, which drives locals nuts. We'd much prefer mom and pop good local food.
Wow, Oregonians are definitely pro-Oregon preferring everything local. I have nothing against that. It's just totally different than what I am used to but that's what makes Oregon unique!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:06 PM

Based on my research, Salem doesn't sound bad at all so I need to ask this question.

Why do Oregonians rank Salem poorly among other cities outside Portland such as Eugene, Corvallis, and even Monmouth? What factors make Salem ranking so poorly? Is it because Salem has too many chain stores, high crime rate, or not much to do in the city for its residents?

I understand Eugene and Corvallis are traditional college towns but that can't be the only reason plus it's farther away from Portland. Economy isn't so great throughout Oregon so that can't be the economy.

I would like to know from Oregonians' point of view.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Based on my research, Salem doesn't sound bad at all so I need to ask this question.

Why do Oregonians rank Salem poorly among other cities outside Portland such as Eugene, Corvallis, and even Monmouth? What factors make Salem ranking so poorly? Is it because Salem has too many chain stores, high crime rate, or not much to do in the city for its residents?

I understand Eugene and Corvallis are traditional college towns but that can't be the only reason plus it's farther away from Portland. Economy isn't so great throughout Oregon so that can't be the economy.

I would like to know from Oregonians' point of view.

I would never live in Monmouth over Salem, but that's me. You can't compare a town of 2,000 people to 150,000.

People don't like Salem because 1) we have a larger Hispanic population than Corvallis or Eugene and I'd love to tell you there isn't a bias here in Oregon but there is; 2) the east side of Salem is ugly. Poor city planning in my opinion; 3) It has more conservative politics than Portland, Eugene, or Corvallis; 4) It isn't hip. Salem is a very slow paced, family oriented city. We lack an kind of hipness. 5) There really aren't any clubs for young singles; 6) Our crime rate is on par with Eugene, but the State Penns are located in Salem. It used to be that criminals would get released and just settled in Salem so we had a disproportionally high crime rate here. They passed a law a few years ago that criminals had to go back to their home counties after release. This caused the crime rate to really drop in Salem but most people in the state don't realize this and think of Salem as a high crime area because of the State Penns.

So...that is why people say negative things about Salem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem