Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 15,784 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
Me and my boyfriend/husband (we have been engaged almost 5 years) have been thinking about moving from CA to FL or UT. We currently live in Temecula. Its a great area with warm weather and wine country. Still CA is pretty expensive and the unemployment rate is 12.4 as of March, high cost of living, and besides the mall and wine tasting not a whole lot to do. The beaches are 60 to 90 minutes away but the water is pretty cold.

Im a California native and I am 25. I am also conservative and a professional in a marketing/PR company. I am looking to work a little less, cut back on the high stress, and get some college under my belt before Im 30.

I dont go to clubs or bars (if its assumed thats what all young people enjoy). My boyfriend and I enjoy going to the movies, out to dinner, hiking and biking and enjoying the beach sunsets. We both work for the same company. Me in the marketing department and he is the in another one of our offices, as a program developer. For having such great jobs we only get paid $15/hr with no raises in sight.

We also are giving some though to UT Salt Lake City and FL St. Petersburg. We prefer a conservative area (less noise and party animals) and affordable. No humidity in SLC but then we lose our beach views and get snow instead. We like warm weather which we would only get for about 3 to 4 months a year in UT? But no major natural disasters in UT like tornados or hurrincans, except the minor earthquakes?

But what draws us to St Petersburg FL and SLC UT is also the lower cost of living (compared to CA prices). We dont want a loud or party area. When you work hard and long 6 days a week you dont want to come home and hit the clubs. Hmmm unless maybe you are 21? But not us.
We are having such a stressful time finding the right place to move.

CA is beautiful and full of sunshine but you pay out the a$$ to live here! We live in a shack compared to the other apartments around us. The apartment I would love to live in here that has all the things you could want is $1800/month for a one bedroom!!! My place is only $1075/month. We dont have kids yet but we still would like a high moral in the area we live in.

Temecula has its share of crime but overall its a quiet sleepy town like we enjoy. Outside of the jobs that we already have there are not many good jobs in our area and not much room for advancement. There is no community college in my city and with the hours I work I dont want to commute to another city for school. SLC has lots of school options from what I have researched, but I hear the wages are low. Wondering if I cold pay rent there and still afford school???? This is important. With our experience is it hard to find good jobs?

Any suggestions would be great. We are sure we want to move but not sure what would be best.

Thanks, Katlyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,865,803 times
I don't think you could have picked 2 more different cities to consider. I've visited St. Pete and lived here for 9 yrs. There is no humidity to speak of here. FL has a LOT. Our cold is very dry and doesn't feel as cold as a wet cold. SLC is a series of neighborhoods strung out along the mountain valley. Read some of the threads to get an idea.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 PM

I understand SLC is snow and FL is humidity. Im aware they are both different. Im leaning more towards SLC.

Im from CA where there is no snow and my humidity is low also. So either way there will be a culture shock.

I am looking for affordable housing/apartments, a safe and friendly area, decent job selection, and I want to live in a city where I can also go to work and school within the same city.

In CA you have to drive far to work and then far to school. Its a huge pain and its very expensive here.

SLC seems to have several community college locations and close together (west jordan, sandy, slc) so if I could find a job in one of those cities that would be great.

How is jobs within those cities? How affordable is the housing/apartments/cost of living in those areas compared to your wages??

Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,476,711 times
I have lived in both actually.

St. Pete is very quiet and has lots of things to do. Art, fresh seafood, fresh produce, biking, kayacking and of course the gorgeous beaches. The air quality will be better in Florida. The humidity will take some getting used to however. Hurricanes hit every few years on the gulf coast, but nothing like say...Miami. The home insurance rates are much higher down here.

Utah has limitless outdoor activities, with exception of the beach. However we always took weekend trips down to Vegas a couple of times during the winter and it was like being back in Florida for the winter: Palm trees, blue skies and great weather. The air quality in Utah is poor compared to Florida. In Utah you are close to tons of state and national parks. Grand Canyon is close, YellowStone/Tetons are close, Bryce, Moab etc. You'll never have that experience in Florida...ever.

Snow in Utah isn't brutal like the NE part of the country. It dumps and then is clears up for a few days. They also do a great job keeping the roads clear. Snowing is good news if you ask me: Snowshoeing and skiing her I come.

Rents are pretty close I think as are wages (ie low.)

There are plenty of college options in both areas.

If you like to explore and see some amazing things, then Utah hands down. If you prefer to hang at the beach and enjoy half a year of amazing weather then Florida is for you.

I think Utah is much better by far, but it's because it fits my profile. I love being in the mountains with a backpack, seeing national parks and skiing. When I come back I will miss the produce stands, and amazingly fresh seafood I can get my hands on down here. That part I really like but it's not enough of a reason to stay here.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:39 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,606,899 times
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) has several locations. You will most likely have to pay out of state tuition while you establish residency in Utah. I think you have to live here a year before that higher tuition rate goes away. I'm not sure though.

I suggest finding jobs before you move. The location of your job will dictate or influence your living area choices.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 AM

Thank you SLCPUNK. Thats very detailed good information. I think UT will be my choice. I do like warm weather and sunshine but I dont spend much time tanning on the beach as I dont want wrinkles (or cancer). I do beautiful views in the outdoors. The snow part scares me though! But if they keep the roads clear for good driving conditions thats the important thing.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:44 AM

8 posts, read 22,305 times
Older post...
I live in Utah, the snow is not that bad lol. As for schooling goes they have a lot in different cities around salt lake, as for me, I love the sun too lol. but we get summer and sun most of the time during may-october, snow doesnt began till late october that is if it comes early. As for rent there are pretty good affordable places here. and as for work there are lots of job openings, you will definite get work, as for pay goes it's between $8-12 with no schooling behind you, and depending on the job and company, as for minimum wage goes i believe its $7.25 I have not checked lol.

I use to live in Oregon also, if your looking for a state with beaches i would prefer there the minimum wage there is $8.40 they also have lots of jobs, but only down fall Oregon has is it rains and rains but you get use to it they do have sunny days. What I liked about Oregon is that it has public transportation every where you go and the buses runs from 4 am -2:30 am, and lots of schools too, and it's bike friendly, every time I move back here to Utah (where iam from) I miss Oregon lol.Utah does have unlimited things to do. And the bus system here sucks only runs till 8 pm in most places and very few routes that runs till 11:45pm... Oregon is also cheap on rent, and it's next to Cali also.
Anyways just some input =P

Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,476,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl25 View Post
Thank you SLCPUNK. Thats very detailed good information. I think UT will be my choice. I do like warm weather and sunshine but I dont spend much time tanning on the beach as I dont want wrinkles (or cancer). I do beautiful views in the outdoors. The snow part scares me though! But if they keep the roads clear for good driving conditions thats the important thing.
They do a fantastic job clearing the road. The only times driving was hairy for me was if I got caught in the new snowfall before the plows came out. Really too, I was more concerned about the drivers around me rather than me navigating the road.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:48 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,242,244 times
Well I live in Tampa now and lived in SLC for a year (last year). I would HIGHLY suggest SLC over st. Pete. Honestly, most of st Pete is pretty ghetto unless you have some money to spend and live near the water. If your into outdoor things, the only thing going here is the ocean which other then kayaking, is expensive (boats, jet skis ect). while in SLC you can drive 15 minutes, be up in the canyons and hike/bike/ski/snowboard/4wheelers/snowmobiles ect..

With the humidity it sucks quite bad in the middle of summer with 90% humidity. As soon as you walk out the door your dripping (not exadurating). Even the nighttime feels miserable because of it. The winter here does feel really nice (even though it only last about 2 months). The humidity drops and the temps are very reasonable on most days. During the summer it also does rain quite a bit as well which puts a damper on alot of outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: