Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,409 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just came back from an interview in SLC. I looked around at some communities and really liked Stansbury Park but noticed a distinctly unpleasant odor - which I guess is "lake stink". This was on Monday and Tuesday of last week. Is this usual? How often do you get it there? I didn't smell it in Tooele or SLC.

Also any comments on the quality of elementary schools between Grantsville, Stansbury Park, and Tooele?
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 12:41 PM

226 posts, read 567,372 times
"Lake Stink" occurs twice a year - once in spring and once in fall when the temperature difference between the air and the water causes the lake to "turn over" - basically a circulation pattern in the water. It usually lasts a day or two and gradually fades. It also sometimes happens when a wind is from the northwest, which happened last week. If you didn't smell it in Tooele or SLC, it's probably a fluke in the wind circulation. On "perfect storm" days you can smell it everywhere in the valley. It comes from the decay of stuff in the bottom of the lake. Usually, the decay gases are trapped at the bottom of the lake because the salt water is so dense. When temperature differences or wind patterns stir up the water, the gases bubble to the surface and let us all have the pleasure of "Eau de Lake". It's not a daily issue - thank God.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:27 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
It is truly horrible, and when it happens, I can sometimes smell it as far away and at the relatively high altitude at which I live -- just about a mile west of the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Like UtahRoots said, it doesn't happen often and dissipates quite quickly. For those of you who have never smelled it, think rotten eggs magnified many times.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:47 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,352 times
I wouldn't say it's that bad.. does smell like rotten eggs though.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:20 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,695 times
I live in Stansbury Park and I do notice it sometimes, but not usually. Lake Point is really bad.

I think the schools in Stansbury are much better than the ones in Grantsville or Tooele, but of course, I am a bit biased because I live here. If I can answer any specific questions about the area, please let me know!

Old 11-21-2010, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,409 times
Thanks for your answers! I was worried the wetlands near lake point caused the stink all the time.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:46 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phage View Post
Thanks for your answers! I was worried the wetlands near lake point caused the stink all the time.
Not even close! You just had bad timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area