Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:52 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

The waitress I met in St. George a few years ago was one of the friendliest women I've ever met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
THIS again???

Since moving to UT (just short of 10 yrs now), I've lived in NSL, Bountiful, Kaysville. Except for many of the transient/druggie-type neighbors I've had in NSL (where we lived in an apt), I have been TOTALLY blown away by: 1How friggin' nice & welcoming people have been, 2How helpful people have been. I've also seen this, not only to me & my family, but to others. When my family has visited, they felt the same way...previous to visiting, they thought I was exaggerating.

I could list dozens & dozens of examples, but frankly I'm too lazy. & have done that in the past.

And, BTW, I am origonally from NY. NYers are fabulous! I think they get a bad wrap because they refuse to sugar-coat things. i've lived in lots of states & the people of NY & UT surpass anyone's friendliness, by far. UT is ahead of NY! I lived in the "hospitable" south...I think the only thing they have in common with the word "hospitality" is that they both have "spit" in them! But what they do excell at is sugar-coating.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:28 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
I'm a native California who has lived most of my life in southern California. I have travelled around Utah extensively for the last 30 years. I usually vacation at least 40 days a years in Utah. I've been in all 50 states and have also spent considerable time in Europe, the Far East, and South America.

I have to say that the people in Utah are among the most friendly I have ever encountered. In fact, I would be hard pressed to recollect one instance of rudeness in all the hundreds of markets, restaurants, gas stations or hotels I've been in during my Utah visits. I guess if I wracked my brains I could think of a rude clerk, but none comes to mind. Instead I invariably encounter nice people who greet you, smile and offer customer service. The friendly people in Utah are one of the reasons I so love the state.

That's my 2 cents as an impartial observer.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:56 PM

202 posts, read 352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I'm a native California who has lived most of my life in southern California. I have travelled around Utah extensively for the last 30 years. I usually vacation at least 40 days a years in Utah. I've been in all 50 states and have also spent considerable time in Europe, the Far East, and South America.

I have to say that the people in Utah are among the most friendly I have ever encountered. In fact, I would be hard pressed to recollect one instance of rudeness in all the hundreds of markets, restaurants, gas stations or hotels I've been in during my Utah visits. I guess if I wracked my brains I could think of a rude clerk, but none comes to mind. Instead I invariably encounter nice people who greet you, smile and offer customer service. The friendly people in Utah are one of the reasons I so love the state.

That's my 2 cents as an impartial observer.
You must look like one of them then.

I too have traveled extensively around the world and lived in numerous places in the US from east coast to west coast. I never found Utahns very friendly. I guess I just don't look mormon enough.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:38 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
You must look like one of them then.

I too have traveled extensively around the world and lived in numerous places in the US from east coast to west coast. I never found Utahns very friendly. I guess I just don't look mormon enough.
If your in person persona is only a 100th as bad as your on-line persona, I can see why people would run screaming from you.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,149 times
SWFL_Native..... I agree completely. It is not a Mormon versus Non-mormon thing. It is a Utahn versus non-native-Utahn thing.
I just left Kansas after 2 1/2 years. I found the same situation there. If you didn't originally grow up there, have family there, or friends there, you have NO chance of breaking into the social circles. Some states are just more inbred than other states.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM

99 posts, read 250,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolunteerTN View Post
I agree with this one! I happen to be from one of the friendliest states, Tennessee.

Last year in Salt Lake City during cross country trip to California, I was in an elevator saying, "Hello! Isn't it a pretty day today?" to a Mormon lady around my age wearing plain dress and braided hair; she ignored and said nothing then rushed away quickly as soon as the elevator doors opened.

It was just weird to me. Maybe Mormons are not supposed to interact with gentiles. Even Californians are friendlier than Utahns.
Ha ha ha!!! How do you know she was Mormon?? Braided hair and a plain dress??? Did that give it away that she was Mormon? Sounds more like it was a polygamist to me. Polygamists are not the same as Mormons. If it was a polygamist, then I wouldn't be surprised she ran off. Mormons can interact with anybody.

I grew up in Utah, and now live in Koxville, TN. I'm a Mormon and my entire family (aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins) are all Mormon going back 3 or 4 generations. I can tell you that even I can't tell the difference between a Mormon and a nonMormon. When I first moved to Tennessee the guy that trained me at my new job was Mormon, and I didn't even know it until we got to talking.

Knoxville is a great place and the people are too, but I don't find Tennessee any friendlier than Utah.

Last edited by fittj; 06-07-2011 at 02:54 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM

C'mon people. Didn't you watch American Idle that year they came to Salt Lake; the year David Archaleta lost to David Cook in the finals? Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and all them commented on how polite and nice all the contestants were. That just proves Utah people are nice, Boyeah!! Take that haters.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
It was hard not to miss that the woman was with LDS. She was holding the Book of Mormon when I saw her. It was outside the office building downtown when I was on my way to visit a former colleague of mine at work. I was trying to make a friendly comment about that nice summer day at that time then she did that. It was just weird.

It wasn't just her. Utahns especially women seem somewhat unfriendly and somewhat not interested in what I have to say when trying to flirt.
Ha ha ha, that explains it!! ...when you tried to flirt. Some dude trying to pick up on the ladies. Are you sure she ran off because they thought you were a heathen, or a gentile?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I agree with this one! I happen to be from one of the friendliest states, Tennessee.

Last year in Salt Lake City during cross country trip to California, I was in an elevator saying, "Hello! Isn't it a pretty day today?" to a Mormon lady around my age wearing plain dress and braided hair; she ignored and said nothing then rushed away quickly as soon as the elevator doors opened.

It was just weird to me. Maybe Mormons are not supposed to interact with gentiles. Even Californians are friendlier than Utahns.
Maybe it was a polygamist who was being bombarded by all the friendly Mormons (who also gave her a Book of Mormon) and she just thought you were another friendly Mormon and she just wanted to get out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area