Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:58 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times

Advertisements

Hello, I currently live in Denver and was wondering if SLC was anything like Denver according to the following.

Climate:
Culture:
Schools:
Mountains:
Scenery in the city:
Downtown:
Zoo:
Aquarium:
Nightlife:
Econemy:
Housing Price:
Suburbs:
etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
No.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No.
Ya took the word right out of my mouth.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRush View Post
Hello, I currently live in Denver and was wondering if SLC was anything like Denver according to the following.

Climate:
Culture:
Schools:
Mountains:
Scenery in the city:
Downtown:
Zoo:
Aquarium:
Nightlife:
Econemy:
Housing Price:
Suburbs:
etc..
The climate's probably similar. Other than that, the two cities seem to me to have little in common.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,899 times
It really depends what you are looking for. Our housing prices are lower. We are quieter, more conservative, more 'sleepy', if you will. Utah is family friendly, & people are really friendly here. =) I'm a married Momma of 2, so, I like the quiet suburbs. =) Don't get me wrong, my girlfriends & I like to have fun, but, by & large, I'm either a homebody, or we go out & explore nature. =)

Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,120 times
I would add that Denver is much larger than SLC, and has a much more "big city" feel than SLC does.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:17 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
Hello MountainRush. I'm a Denver native who had lived in SLC for 12 years, back to Denver for over 30, and the last 11 in Colorado Springs. IMHO I find SLC to be more like the Springs than Denver in both its setting and politics. SLC is larger and has a taller skyline, but being nestled next to the mountains with homes in the foothills, the two are very similar to me. BTW, I'm Catholic and loved the years I spent in Olympus Hills. I know SLC has changed a lot, but what a great place to be a kid! If you have children I hope it still is.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:07 AM

498 posts, read 1,455,756 times
People are misleading you. The two cities are very alike in terms of geography and lifestyle/activities. There are differences obviously, as Denver is much larger and such, but compared to most cities, it is deceptive to say they are not alike.

Salt Lake is surrounded by mountains, and downtown is right at the base of the mountain bench. No matter where you are in the valley, the mountains are pretty close, unlike Denver where they're in the distance to the west.

I just heard from an acquaintance, a former resident of Denver (and all over the place really), who just moved to Salt Lake, that culture in Denver is spelled "BEER." So I really don't think I can offer much perspective in the way of that. If it's true, then our culture contrasts starkly.

Salt Lake is much smaller and most of your criteria follow suit in that regard. We have an ever-expanding zoo and aquarium. Salt Lake City is consistently rated to have one of the best economies in the country by various sources. It also has very low unemployment, so in terms of numbers, it probably has a better economy than Denver in most ways. Salt Lake is much smaller and quieter, but I think you'd find that despite this, the two cities are surprisingly similar.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
A friend who lives in Denver once told me that SLC felt much warmer in the winter, due to the low humidity. The airport is rarely closed due to weather while I think Denver's is closed more often.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:19 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Thanks for all the post!

I am aware that SLC is about half the size as Denver, but I think the city stacks up pretty well. I can only go off of what I've seen on Google Maps, but SLC appears to be large enough for me (I can easily survive in a city with a population of No lower Than 500,000). I never really though about moving to SLC until I met somebody who just moved to Denver from the Wasatch Front Area. It seems to have everything Denver has (I like that)..but in a smaller city. The Winters in Denver are often warm..50-70 degrees at times. There are years where it snows so much the airport is closed, and there are other (like this past year) that have been nothing but sun. The summers are really hot at times, and it gets somewhat humid at night, so if SLC has weather like that can somebody please inform me?

Also, i hear alot about the mormon culture. I honestly do NOT care what religion anybody is. People are people, and it doesn't bother me much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area