Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 PM

13 posts, read 58,894 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Utah from Connecticut because the cost of living here is so high here, but there are just a few questions I would like to ask before I make any final decisions. I'm hoping some of you can give me some answers. First, I was looking into the Provo area and when I did some research I found that it is in an active seismic area and is going to experience a massive earthquake. I'm wondering if that is why everything is much cheaper there. Also I am not of mormon faith, I am a born again Christian and my husband is from Thailand and he is buddhist. My children are 1/2 Thai. I am concerned that we may not be accepted very well. Are there any recommendations for areas that are not at risk for earthquakes and that are friendly toward foreigners. Any advice at all would be gratly appreciated. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 23,006 times
We are a non-mormon, mixed (asian/caucasian) family with children who recently moved to the area and have not at all experienced anything negative because of race, etc...would probably suggest SLC or Park City instead of Provo though.

The Wasatch Front (where the majority of the population lives) is on or near an active fault. Without this seismic activity the mountains that attract so any of us here would not exist so take the good with the bad. My advice would be to buy a good earthquake insurance policy and do not purchase a home on or near the valley floor. In the event of a large earthquake the valley floor will undergo liquefaction (act with the physical properties of a liquid) and cause extensive damage to structures located there. Structures located at higher elevations (ie. on the benches) will fare much better. By the way, there have been massive earthquakes in the east as well (ie. New Madrid quake in Missouri in 1812).

The link below has details of the liquefaction potentials for the area...

UUSS - Liquefaction Maps

Old 09-02-2007, 06:25 PM

13 posts, read 58,894 times
Yes, I know that the east coast has experienced earthquakes in the past, but here in Connecticut it is not an active seismic area. I have never felt so much as even a rumble in my whole life of living here, and missouri is quite a ways away from us. It isn't on the east coast. It is more central U.S. I believe the last big earthquake New England had that I know of was in Boston, but that was over 200 years ago and the fault is not active. But, thank you so much for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:58 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
I've lived along the Wasatch front for 40 years. I've yet to feel any seismic activity. We've all heard that it's coming....someday.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 PM

186 posts, read 570,060 times
I echo Eggalegga's comment, I grew up along the Wasatch front, Davis county (Bountiful), and have never even felt the slightest of any movement. Wouldn't even know what an earthquake is.

Ut can be expensive, depending upon where you live, so make sure to do your homework before making the move. I moved away 6 years ago because I felt like I could make a better living with higher paying jobs elsewhere, and I have. I'm now in the east and love it!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:19 PM

38 posts, read 144,552 times
Born and raised in L.A. I can tell you I have been through a few good ones (earthquakes). If it is going to happen then it will. No need to worry about what may happen in your lifetime. I am in the works of relocating from CA to TN. The tornado map spooked me a bit but then I thought about earthquakes here and its just no big deal. I am not sure I would move right on a faultline anywhere though. My move to TN will take everything into consideration such as being protected as much as possible from natural disasters. Do your homework on Utah and make a smart move. I was born and raised Morman and went to Provo every summer for family reunions for the first 14 years of my life. Provo is beautiful! The whole are ais just beautiful.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:07 PM

347 posts, read 1,566,869 times
Provo is definitely more Mormon than SLC. My nieghborhood in West Jordan is predominantly non-LDS. I doubt than anyone will give your kids a hard time about their ethnicity or religion. Most faithful members of the church serve missions around the world and really develop a love for people of other countries. There's not the fear of someone that looks "different" that you typically find in predominantly white areas. Occassionally you will meet people who went on missions to Thailand and would love to have the opportunity to practice Thai with a native.
My aunt who lives in SLC is buddhist, but I'm not sure what the local buddhist community is like. I'll ask next time I see her.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,030 times
I have a little girl from Haiti...and a baby from China. We are accepted like any other family. The LDS influence here is strong...and the vast majority of the population outside of Salt Lake City is white...but we have had absolutely no negative response to our mixed family.

Look into Layton...it is a fantastic place to live!!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM

51 posts, read 264,386 times
Default moving from the east coast

My husband and I recently moved here from New Jersey and we are very happy with our decision. I dont have kids yet so I cant talk about that. What I can tell ya though is the diversity that you are looking for will be in Salt Lake City. Housing is WAY cheaper out here than anything on the east coast. WE live in Sandy and are very happy their and we are not LDS. I would suggest renting a house for about 1yr and see if you like the area and get familiar with the surrounding area as well. This way you are not stuck in that place if you are unhappy. That's what we did but it turns out that's the area we are going to stay in. We like the east side it's a great area. I have not had a negative experience since moving here. Everyone is very friendly regardless of their religon. Dont be to hung up on the fact that your neighbors may be LDS b/c they will except you if you except them. To each their own really. Im kind all people regardless of race, age, religion etc. Be kind to others and others will be kind to you.... Good luck! It will be nice to have another East Coaster here

Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 AM

62 posts, read 251,664 times
I'm a native of Salt Lake City and I remember a small earth quake 44 years ago. It rattled and broke a few windows and put a minor crack down one of the main thoroughfares. There was also a small tornado several years ago (a rarity here). And, yes, we are constantly told that we due for a "big" earthquake, but I don't know anyone who has moved away because of that knowledge. It's more likely that most of us will think and maybe even plan for what we would do if and when it happens. At least it doesn't happen here with regularity like CA. We all tend to love it here regardless.

The Mormons - they are mostly very nice and accepting people. I have lived and worked among them, as well as associated with the non-Mormon crowd. No problems at all with acceptance of my children.

Why is everything cheaper in Provo? For the same reason that everything is cheaper everywhere in Utah with SLC being the most expensive. Smaller cities tend to have less expensive real estate, lower cost of living, and lower paying jobs sometimes (although Provo has some high-paying tech jobs like SLC). But none of the cost of living issues has to do with earthquake possibilities. We who live here mostly don't think about it much. We just go about our daily lives enjoying the gorgeous scenery and the availability of outdoor recreation unequaled anywhere in the U.S. (IMHO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area