Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,284 times

Advertisements

Howdy there CD, Names Callmebob but you can call me james.

I am a 24 Year old Considering a possible Move to SLC, After hearing how nice it is from a friend there. I've got some questions I cant seem to get solid answers on, so I thought I'd ask here.

How Gun-Friendly is SLC? I am an avid shooter/collector of many firearms and a better Firearm enviroment then where I am currently at is very desirable.

How Friendly is SLC? I'm somewhat of an old fashioned type, I open doors for people, Say thank you and have a nice day a lot. Politics wise I am a Libertarian -Some people want to know, Some dont.-

How easy are vehicle inspections? Another love of mine is motorvehicles, I have a decent collection. They're in one piece and not spewing black smoke, But my motor swapped vehicles may have difficulty passing. Do inform me, if you will.

How is crime? Where I live there is a raise in burglary and armed robbery, As well as theft. I would like to get away from this rather then move somewhere with more of it.

How are taxes? I currently live in one of the most heavily taxed states in the nation and figuring out what to pay can get very confusing. Is it easy to pay one's taxes? Any sales tax?

Thank you for your time and have a good one.

PS: I LOVE Food so reccomend any good places to eat, if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,976,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBob. View Post
Hi James

I am a 24 Year old Considering a possible Move to SLC, After hearing how nice it is from a friend there. I've got some questions I cant seem to get solid answers on, so I thought I'd ask here.

Quote:
How Gun-Friendly is SLC? I am an avid shooter/collector of many firearms and a better Firearm enviroment then where I am currently at is very desirable.
Pretty gun friendly. Many people have a concealed carry permit and Utah is a pretty popular place for hunting. I am sure your firearms will feel right at home.

Quote:
How Friendly is SLC? I'm somewhat of an old fashioned type, I open doors for people, Say thank you and have a nice day a lot. Politics wise I am a Libertarian -Some people want to know, Some dont.
Most people are pretty friendly if you are first, however it appears that manners seem to have fallen by the wayside for most people. *I* don't see it as being unfriendly inasmuch as being uncouth.

Quote:
How easy are vehicle inspections? Another love of mine is motorvehicles, I have a decent collection. They're in one piece and not spewing black smoke, But my motor swapped vehicles may have difficulty passing. Do inform me, if you will.
Why do you say they would have difficulty passing inspection? As long as it can pass emissions and a fairly relaxed (from my point of view anyway) safety inspection, they should have no trouble. By the way, not all counties in Utah require an emissions inspection

Quote:
How is crime? Where I live there is a raise in burglary and armed robbery, As well as theft. I would like to get away from this rather then move somewhere with more of it.
Utah has crime. It is more than Utopia, but less than Camden, NJ or Compton, CA. Seriously, it really is mild compared to many areas of the US. Crime appears to be on the rise all over. Sign of the times, unfortunately. I would totally feel safe walking downtown at night, however.

Quote:
How are taxes? I currently live in one of the most heavily taxed states in the nation and figuring out what to pay can get very confusing. Is it easy to pay one's taxes? Any sales tax?
We have sales tax. We also have income tax. It varies by the county you are in and what you are purchasing. Nothing is exempt, especially food and clothing :/ Property taxes are pretty low, comparatively speaking, however. Paying taxes is not a problem. The state holds out its hand like a pro

Quote:
Likewise

Quote:
What kind of food do you like?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Hi James

Pretty gun friendly. Many people have a concealed carry permit and Utah is a pretty popular place for hunting. I am sure your firearms will feel right at home.

Most people are pretty friendly if you are first, however it appears that manners seem to have fallen by the wayside for most people. *I* don't see it as being unfriendly inasmuch as being uncouth.

Why do you say they would have difficulty passing inspection? As long as it can pass emissions and a fairly relaxed (from my point of view anyway) safety inspection, they should have no trouble. By the way, not all counties in Utah require an emissions inspection

Utah has crime. It is more than Utopia, but less than Camden, NJ or Compton, CA. Seriously, it really is mild compared to many areas of the US. Crime appears to be on the rise all over. Sign of the times, unfortunately. I would totally feel safe walking downtown at night, however.

We have sales tax. We also have income tax. It varies by the county you are in and what you are purchasing. Nothing is exempt, especially food and clothing :/ Property taxes are pretty low, comparatively speaking, however. Paying taxes is not a problem. The state holds out its hand like a pro

Likewise

What kind of food do you like?
As it stands I lose a lot of money in taxes -Living in California, Currently.- So any less then here is desirable! I think some of my cars might have issues because of certain modifications, But everything is together and not falling off. The state won't let my 240SX Pass because of an aftermarket exhaust, But it runs cleaner then the old one did. One car has a rebuilt Salvage title. By the way, How are insurance rates? As for food, You name it, I like it!.. For the majority part of food, not a huge fan of raw fish and such.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Insurance rates are very reasonable! I moved from NJ where they are through the roof. I will have to look up what I pay, but it is around $600 a year for 2 cars. I don't carry full coverage on them though.

You can't have your windows limo tinted for the windshield or front door windows (suckish!!), but I don't think an aftermarket exhaust is a problem at all. You can also register here with a salvage title.

Let me get back to you on the food places. It is getting late and I am very tired. OR you can do a search. I know us regulars have talked about favorite food places on several threads before!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM

23 posts, read 55,656 times
Default Not sure

Quote:
Living in California
you can call residing in California 'living'.

So, i'll make it simple, Everything related to what you asked about is better here. Except for perhaps food. Not that it is bad here. But, none of the hordes of people fleeing that sinking ship known as California are doing it to get away from either the weather or the food. It is all the other things you mentioned that will be a lot better. RE: Guns you are pretty much going from the worst state to one of the best. No need to bring your 10 rd mags though. Leave those in CA with your sorry friends who are stuck there. Car reg fees are less than half as much as in CA. Income taxes are half...flat at 5%. Sales tax is about 25% less.

Welcome to sanity. As long as you can handle friendly people and personal responsibility, you'll do well here in Ut. I don't miss having left CA at all. It's been 18 months and I can't believe I waited so long to escape that place.

Last edited by RedDot; 02-14-2012 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDot View Post
you can call residing in California 'living'.

So, i'll make it simple, Everything related to what you asked about is better here. Except for perhaps food. Not that it is bad here. But, none of the hordes of people fleeing that sinking ship known as California are doing it to get away from either the weather or the food. It is all the other things you mentioned that will be a lot better. RE: Guns you are pretty much going from the worst state to one of the best. No need to bring your 10 rd mags though. Leave those in CA with your sorry friends who are stuck there. Car reg fees are less than half as much as in CA. Income taxes are half...flat at 5%. Sales tax is about 25% less.

Welcome to sanity. As long as you can handle friendly people and personal responsibility, you'll do well here in Ut. I don't miss having left CA at all. It's been 18 months and I can't believe I waited so long to escape that place.
It isn't so much as living as it is being a slave to pay the states bills, Cost me triple digits to register my truck because of the ''Commercial vehicle'' clause. I am SO happy to be leaving this state soon, Cant stand it. I've looked at Arizona, Nevada, But I like Utah more. Personal responsibility I have and hold myself to very high standards I've laid out, for myself.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Oh and in Utah we get real tax refunds...not IOU's

Old 02-17-2012, 03:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:

How Friendly is SLC? I'm somewhat of an old fashioned type, I open doors for people, Say thank you and have a nice day a lot. Politics wise I am a Libertarian -Some people want to know, Some dont.-

Crime is pretty low here compared to other places, I don't feel scared to go anywhere in the state. Taxes are easy to do for me and not nearly as bad as many places, but I still think they are too high.

Hopefully vehicle inspections will go away soon; there is legislation pending on the subject.

Food is where Utah is lacking; I think our restaurants are mediocre at best. It's very telling that "Crown Burger" is considered the local fine cuisine high point, and the only place in the world with worse seafood is Idaho.

As far as guns go, if you are pulled over and can't prove you own a gun and are a Utah resident, you immediately get deported to California or the East. We have at least a dozen different gun stores just in the Salt Lake area alone.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 AM

762 posts, read 2,119,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Food is where Utah is lacking; I think our restaurants are mediocre at best. It's very telling that "Crown Burger" is considered the local fine cuisine high point, and the only place in the world with worse seafood is Idaho.
Sorry, but I completely disagree. Salt Lake City has, in the last 5 or so years, become recognized nationally for some excellent cuisine, and the seafood brought here by Aquarius Fish Market (which supplies all the sushi joints in town) is on par with anything along the coast (in fact, it's usually the same).

Of course you won't find the breadth of options here, simply because of lack of demand for more obscure varieties, but what seafood is here--and the selection is quite decent--is very, very good.

Some highly regarded food establishments in the Salt Lake area, from small diners and delis to fancy-schmancy places:

Forage
Martine
Em's
Mazza
Pago
Cafe Madrid
Eva
Bambara
Trio
Caffe Molise
Faustina
Fresco
Log Haven
Lugano
Takashi
Wild Grape
Al Forno's
Paris Bistro
Michelangelo's
Frida Bistro
Red Iguana
Sage's Cafe
Les Madeleine's
Aristo's
Indochine
Chanon
Forage
Cafe Shambala
Siegfried's
Epic
Ganesh
Blue Plate Diner
Tuscany
Hong Kong Tea House
Settebello
Vinto
Cucina Toscana
Little World
Bombay House
New Yorker
Lone Star Taqueria
Kyoto
Pat's BBQ
Q4U
Este
Franck's

Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,836 times
^^ of this list, I've been to only 4, Red Iguana, Lone Star Taqueria, Pat's BBQ, & Estes. Even though I complain about the food here, of those 4, I LOVE all of them. Thanks for that list, as I'm 4/4 on your list, perhaps some of the others will be good too?

Though, I'm pretty sure Q4U on 5400S is closed. Not sure if they moved somewhere else though????

Some of those others on the list were places we've considered, just haven't yet. lo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area