Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Non-LDS family moving to Salt Lake City, Utah, conservative political views, Marine background, tattooed with bi-racial step-daughter, fit into Mormon community

Old 09-21-2007, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 11,621 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to SLC from Florida and I am a little concerned about how my non-LDS family will be accepted. Specifically, my step-daughter is bi-racial and my husband has both arms fully covered in tattoos.

Although the job I am interviewing for is not a sure thing just yet, I desperately want to avoid putting my family, whom I love dearly and will be uprooting, into a situation that is negative for them. My husband will be finishing his bachelor's degree and I am afraid that he will not be able to get a job either during school or after he graduates because of the way he looks. We're both former Marines and very conservative politically, but so often people get caught up in his outside appearance and it can take time to rectify those misconceptions.

Perhaps I am being over-sensitive, but it is something I wanted to ask. Can anyone give me the real scoop on how well my husband and daughter will be accepted? Will he find it difficult to get a fair shake in the SLC area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 11:53 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
Hi there...

Diversity varies quite a bit from town to town in the SL Valley. I live about 25 miles north of the city in a town where the largest employer is Hill AFB...so the culture is different from SLC where the more conservative Utah mindset exists. But even within the city there are differences.

I am non-LDS...also military (Navy officer) and have had absolutely no problems living here. I have a daughter adopted from Haiti and another little girl from China. We do get some strange looks but I imagine that would happen anywhere. As far as your husband...what type of work would he be looking for?

Feel free to PM me with any questions. Utah is wierd...but not somewhere to be afraid of :-)

Semper Fi!!

Brandon

Old 09-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info! I was feeling badly about possibly uprooting the family since my daughter is 15 and you know how difficult it can be for teens to start over. At any rate, I feel better now.

My husband will just be looking to work while he finishes school. He was EOD in the Corps which doesn't translate into civilian life very well and he has experience as a logistics manager (warehouse manager). Should he consider trying to find something on base?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

M.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 PM

421 posts, read 1,741,271 times
Biracial: not a problem, aside from any ordinary issues you might expect anywhere (every town has its bigots). Full arm tattoos: you might get some looks, but I don't think much beyond that. Conservative politics: you'll fit right in! Former Marines: the locals will thank you for serving your country.

If you're concerned about your husband looking for work, make sure he wears a long-sleeve shirt for interviews. It's true that potential employers (regardless of political or religious views) might make assumptions about your husband based on his tats, so it would probably be wise to keep them covered initially, especially if he's looking for an office/desk job, sales, etc.

There are several good colleges and universities in the area for your husband to finish his schooling. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:29 AM

Thank you! You guys have been very helpful and I feel much better about the prospect of moving! I really appreciate your taking the time to reply -

M.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 PM

9 posts, read 27,926 times
Smile Re locating info for non-LDS transplants

Hey there,
Until very recently I would have told you to reconsider. I live in Utah, chose not to be LDS and life has been really lonely. Until I found a group of people that are just like me. The group is called CALM, it stands for Community After Leaving Mormonism and is a chapter from the Post Mormon Community group.
Now I have friends and friends for my children with people that are good and fun but don't care what my religion is.
I am addressing the religion here but it is a factor in your relocation. It is a factor in almost everything here.

There are a lot of very friendly people here, both LDS and NON LDS, but it is no secret that you will not find a sense of "community" here on your own.
You will have to make an effort because being LDS isn't just a religion it is a way of life and it influences almost every move they make.

Finding groups like CALM, or momtimeout.com or other groups that are forming all over is going to be helpful for you to feel welcomed. I would also hope that you do your research about the church before you move so that you are not "pressured" into joining so that you will feel acceptance.
Who knows you may find out it is just what you have been looking for and that would be great if it work for you. But when you look at the LDS church you need to know both sides of the history and stories, not just the one the members will tell you. Most of them don't even know the other side because they are told they are unfaithful, if they even look.

Utah is clean and mostly safe. Utah has beautiful changes of seasons. It is quite polluted but I think that more people are becoming aware of this and are making changes.

There is a lot to do in the way of night life here, mostly downtown, we have arts and theatre...those sorts of things.

Schools here vary a lot so I would suggest researching that well. GreatSchools.net is a good place to start.

I would recomend areas like Sandy, Draper, Suncrest and even DAYBREAK ( South Jordan) so your more open and diverse neighbor hoods, if you like living in a more neighbor hood enviroment. Or the Avenues, Sugarhouse if your style is more city/down town type.

Definatley cover those tats on interviews if possible and keep the hair short for now, or never mind you are in the military - I am sure it is short...
BTW- my Dad is retired Air Guard and still keeps his hair to regulation =. )

Either way I am sure you will find what you are looking for, since we always do.

Melz

Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 19,323 times
I have lived in Utah for 4 years and just in that time have seen a more diverse population moving in. It totally depends on the area you live in!! Choose wisely and stay away from areas with high LDS populations where it can be clique-y. It's a great state to live in, very beautiful, and there is so much to do out here!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:10 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastgrrrl View Post
We're thinking of moving to SLC from Florida and I am a little concerned about how my non-LDS family will be accepted. Specifically, my step-daughter is bi-racial and my husband has both arms fully covered in tattoos.

Although the job I am interviewing for is not a sure thing just yet, I desperately want to avoid putting my family, whom I love dearly and will be uprooting, into a situation that is negative for them. My husband will be finishing his bachelor's degree and I am afraid that he will not be able to get a job either during school or after he graduates because of the way he looks. We're both former Marines and very conservative politically, but so often people get caught up in his outside appearance and it can take time to rectify those misconceptions.

Perhaps I am being over-sensitive, but it is something I wanted to ask. Can anyone give me the real scoop on how well my husband and daughter will be accepted? Will he find it difficult to get a fair shake in the SLC area?
Not in the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: