Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I'm looking around for homes in various parts of the country. You'll see my posts on other boards (like South Carolina) too. I am searching throughout the country for a nice, affordable place to live where I'll feel safe. Just mentioning this so nobody thinks I'm a troll or whatever the internet term is for someone who isn't who she says she is. Just came across this thread and wanted to comment.

When I read RCW320's post it reminded me of the time I visited San Francisco. Although I'm originally from Boston (now living in FL) I was still shocked at the number of homeless people living on the street, many of them sleeping on sidewalks with signs like "I have AIDS." Many people were sleeping on their dogs who were lying next to or under them on the hard concrete. This was back in 1992 and that scene still haunts me.

When I was at a diner the next evening, I got a very dirty look from the waitress when I brought up this subject. Perhaps I said something that sounded uncaring or incompassionate. Like you, I've stopped to help people. But I'm not 6 feet tall or 200 pounds of steel (maybe 110 pounds of silly putty) and it was very frightening to have people pulling at my coat. This happened in Boston once when I stopped to help a woman who was sleeping in the subway. I found out very quickly that it's not a good idea to open up your wallet on a city street to help someone, because all of a sudden there will be a dozen people surrounding you. It's very sad to see people in this condition, but I truly understand your attitude. Even homeless people won't sleep in shelters any more because they don't feel safe around those afflicted with mental illness.

SergeantL already said everything else & I agree with almost everything. Except I hope you aren't putting schizophrenics and drunken panhandlers in the same category. Nobody should do "extremely hard labor" just because he/she is mentally ill. I think we need to concentrate on getting rid of the real criminals first, like murderers, child molesters, rapists and street gangs. Homeless people can be very annoying, but they usually aren't a danger to society.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:12 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
RCW320's post reminded me of the time I visited San Francisco. I was still shocked at the number of homeless people living on the street, many of them sleeping on sidewalks with signs like "I have AIDS." Many people were sleeping on their dogs who were lying next to or under them on the hard concrete. This was back in 1992 and that scene still haunts me.

SergeantL already said everything else & I agree with almost everything. Except I hope you aren't putting schizophrenics and drunken panhandlers in the same category. Nobody should do "extremely hard labor" just because he/she is mentally ill. I think we need to concentrate on getting rid of the real criminals first, like murderers, child molesters, rapists and street gangs. Homeless people can be very annoying, but they usually aren't a danger to society.
Nancy, I thought I was clear on my separation of those with mental disorders and those with abuse problems; however, in the event I wasn't clear, I do not advocate criminal sanctions for the mentally ill.

Your point is well taken regarding focusing on the more serious criminals, which is something I did not address in my first post. We must decide what our priorities are. Are we concerned about minor annoyances or more serious issues?

Finally, I can sympathize with your experience in San Francisco. Before I decided I couldn’t stand it anymore and went to another Bay Area police department, I spent ten years with SFPD. Sweeping the streets clean of the derelicts was akin to shoveling against the tide and very depressing. I shoveled the bums, hookers, and addicts from the streets of the Tenderloin (an area of San Franciso you don't want to accidently find yourself) for five years.

I will admit there were some humorous and imaginative panhandlers. Eddie worked the Fisherman’s Wharf area and was very successful with the tourists, but he had a catchy sign that reflected his penchant for “truth in advertising.” It read; “Why lie, it’s for beer.” I was in SF a few weeks ago to see Barry Bond’s last game with the Giants. Eddie is still working the Wharf.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:47 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post

I will admit there were some humorous and imaginative panhandlers. Eddie worked the Fisherman’s Wharf area and was very successful with the tourists, but he had a catchy sign that reflected his penchant for “truth in advertising.” It read; “Why lie, it’s for beer.” I was in SF a few weeks ago to see Barry Bond’s last game with the Giants. Eddie is still working the Wharf.
What about the "Bush man"? Is he homeless? He got me last December when I was in San Fran. The thing is, I had been warned about him, but he still got me. At least he has fun with what he does.

For those who don't know, he hides behind a fake bush he carries around and jumps out and scares people.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
What about the "Bush man"? Is he homeless? He got me last December when I was in San Fran. The thing is, I had been warned about him, but he still got me. At least he has fun with what he does.

For those who don't know, he hides behind a fake bush he carries around and jumps out and scares people.
DJ has been around for a long time and is still doing his thing. I can't say he's homeless in the traditional sense; we never found him sleeping on the streets. He sure made the merchants mad. There's a place to eat crab, where you can watch his act. Some of my old friends from the PD told me DJ was arrested a few years ago after a bunch of folks pressed charges, but he was aquitted. Occassionally, someone would get really mad at him, and he would get wacked pretty hard. Not my idea of how to make a living, but he does add character and humor to the area.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Was down by Gihardeli Sq at the Cable car turntable once....watching a panhandler playin electric guitar [quite good] that was running from an amp....plugged into the cigarette lighter of his [BRANDNEW] Volvo Sedan......SF has elevated panhandeling to a high art form

Old 10-07-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Was down by Gihardeli Sq at the Cable car turntable once....watching a panhandler playin electric guitar [quite good] that was running from an amp....plugged into the cigarette lighter of his [BRANDNEW] Volvo Sedan......SF has elevated panhandeling to a high art form
I don't know this guy, but he would be classified as a street performer and not a panhandler. As you walk through the Pier 39 area, you will see all manner of performers. There was once a group who had an act that was reminiscent of a medieval performing troupe. I was always fascinated by their knife, sword, axe, and flaming torch juggling act. All of these folks make extra bucks through donations from the crowd.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:36 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
LOL only in SF do they differentiate

Old 11-09-2010, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
It is not okay to refer to people as "garbage" because they are homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area