Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 4,492 times

Advertisements

Self-employed and possibly Park City bound with 4 small children for permanent residence.

We're an active family, the 365 mountain sports is enticing to us.

We are gentiles. I've read through the forums and it appears I should not have a concern for non-LDS kids raised in greater SLC; was just trying to determine if there's a local understanding that good kids of any stripes are getting socially shunned for unfair reasons.

As an aside from searching there appears to be a couple Protestant churches in PC for us to get involved, I'm assuming with active children's ministries?

Also read through the PC schools forums. Does anyone have any updates on public schools and their experiences as out of staters? They appear to be rock solid educationally anyway.

Another question is how overwhelming can the tourists and Sundance festival be to residency in PC? Meaning does everything from school commutes, to getting groceries get severely impacted during the heavy tourist season and you just learn to "deal with it?"

Thanks much,

DT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 10:21 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,816,047 times
Park City "proper" is really not that big. Most people live in the surrounding area to the North where housing is less expensive and the residences are bigger.

Sundance and the bigger yearly arts festival are not that bad if you stay away from the main street area. The 4-lane road into and out of Park City generally keeps moving but, during the big events, bogs down the closer you get to main street. On peak days it's often necessary to take a shuttle into downtown because of full parking.

Yes, the schools are well-rated. Park City has a healthy tax base and it shows. I don't know about the churches - other than Park City is considered the most Liberal place in Utah (with subsequent lesser LDS influence).

During the Winter I take the 4-lane highway into Park City from the North. But, as soon as the snow's gone I come in the back door from the South (Guardsman Pass) on the dirt road in my Jeep. It's a much more scenic way to come into PC as you drop down into it from the Pass rather than work your way in through the unattractive sprawl that's grown up around the 4-lane highway.

There are some fine restaurants on main street and at the ski resorts I really need to revisit soon.

Bill

Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 PM

85 posts, read 289,910 times
I live in PC and can't really answer your school or church questions. I don't notice too much impact from tourists. The summer definitely seems quieter in grocery stores and shops, but the winter months aren't overwhelming by any means. As far as Sundance goes, traffic definitely increases, but because there is no parking at most of the movie venues, most people are using the town bus system or Sundance shuttles to get around town. Like Utes said, many people aren't living in Old Town PC proper, so very little Sundance/tourist impact on my daily routine.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,492 times
Thanks.

That's helpful info on traffic and the area. Doesn't sound like too much changes.

Thanks for anyone stepping up on the school or church questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area