Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:38 PM
TD* TD* started this thread

1,695 posts, read 4,144,152 times

Advertisements

Hello All.. I havent booked a flight but will be very soon, and will be coming out to Salt Lake city for about a week in early march.

I want to Ski/Snowboard, and am looking for reccomendations on what resorts are best/cheapest/closest..

I am looking for places to stay... Reccomendations on Hostels, or cheap AirBnB Etc...

And... places to see, things to do outside of the mountains etc.

I intend to spend most of my time outside, hiking, exploring, skiiing, etc etc..

On the other hand If anyone is free and would like to meet up and hang out for a day I would be down.

Any places I need to see? Towns or Burbs that have great restaurants/breweries City parks?

I love transit, and am excited to ride the light rail everywhere.

Any other recommendations I would be greatful..

I might also look to line up an interview or so if people can recommend planning firms..

Graduating this summer with my Masters in Urban Planning.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 PM

19 posts, read 43,102 times
You have six resorts to choose from within an hour of SLC. If you want to check out the urban type atmosphere, you will want to stay right downtown. Somewhere close to The Gateway or City Creek. There is a squatters only a few blocks from the city center. Other option is stay up in Park City. They have their own microbrew and ski resorts right there. It's about 40 min from downtown SLC. Our Real Estate brokerage gets discounts on some of the hotels but you might find better deals on Hotwire or Priceline. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:51 PM

Hmm. Whats all the fuss over Park City.. I hear about it constantly, but no other towns.... Is it the most "popular" resort? Is it the closest?

Whats with all the park city talk?

Also...

Any idea on cheap places to stay?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:56 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,036,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Hmm. Whats all the fuss over Park City.. I hear about it constantly, but no other towns.... Is it the most "popular" resort? Is it the closest?

Whats with all the park city talk?

Also... Any idea on cheap places to stay?
It's the most "resort-like" resort, if that makes sense. PC is a real town and has been compares favorably to Aspen, Jackson, etc (though many would say that the skiing does not). There's a whole main drag with shops, restaurants, bars, etc. Park City Mtn Resort lifts go straight up from the middle of town. A few other ski areas are just minutes away (Canyons, Deer Valley I guess). PC is a very fun place.

The other ski areas don't have real towns at their bases at all, just a few hotels, condos and sprinkling of private homes. Lots of people skiing Alta/Snowbird and Solitude/Brighton actually stay down in the valley and drive up their canyon of choice every day. This is great for flexibility and mixing up your skiing but staying in the valley has absolutely no resort feel or apre ski stuff in the usual sense. Terrain at AltaBird is in an altogether different category than the PC areas. It's a running joke that Snowbird doesn't have any meaningful beginner terrain at all - or at least what would be called "beginner" anyplace else.

Check out Epicski.com for specific resort info. You'll get more and better info than here - it's a ski site.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 02-16-2014 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 02-16-2014, 08:28 PM

157 posts, read 302,101 times
Also, you can take a bus from Salt Lake to Park City for $5.50 and then navigate Park City skiing (3 resorts), restaurants, hotels, shopping etc by free bus on the days you are staying up there. Larger ski town population base and tourist amenities.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 AM

True, ok thanks for the explanation.

I've been looking into hostels, are any of them worth a stay in the SLC area? I've read highly mixed reviews.... The most popular one seems to be the avenues hostel.. Anyone had any experience with that hostel or any others?

Any other cheap places to stay?

What about getting down to south Utah to see some of the national parks? Any recommended cheap guides?

Will skiing be good in this time frame?

Also how much is a beginner refresher course?

Should I risk trying to learn to snowboard of I probably only we ll ski a few days and I have experience (2 times like 10 years ago with skiing)

Maybe it will be to frustrating to learn something new in such a short time.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,036,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
True, ok thanks for the explanation.

I've been looking into hostels, are any of them worth a stay in the SLC area? I've read highly mixed reviews.... (1) The most popular one seems to be the avenues hostel.. Anyone had any experience with that hostel or any others?

Any other cheap places to stay?

What about getting down to south Utah to see some of the national parks? Any recommended cheap guides?

Will skiing be good in this time frame?

Also how much is a beginner refresher course?

Should I risk trying to learn to snowboard of I probably only we ll ski a few days and I have experience (2 times like 10 years ago with skiing)

Maybe it will be to frustrating to learn something new in such a short time.
(1) A buddy stayed there last year, said it was fine. No complaints. But it's a hostel, not a 5-star hotel.

(2) Not sure what you are saying here, seems garbled. Is the sum total of your ski experience 2 days that happened ten years ago? If so then it doesn't matter, at this point that's like never having skied at all. Consider yourself a first-timer whatever you decide to do. You will NOT be anything other than a rank beginner in a couple days, whether it's boarding or skiing. But you can still have fun. Either way, take a lesson to get yourself oriented.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Points of interest to see? Is there a place i could stay in park city thats affordable?

Old 02-18-2014, 08:31 AM

85 posts, read 289,712 times
I stayed at the Avenues Hostel a few years ago and it was fine, but definitely not up there as one of the best hostels I've seen. I'm not sure there are any better hostel options in SLC though.

Maybe check out airbnb.com and see if you could rent a room from somebody for a decent price. This might work for Park City as well.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:18 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
One way to look at this would be:
1 - what is the nightly stay at the hostel worth ?
2 - How much per day for a rental car ?

It might be cheaper to rent a car and stay at the hostel.
Park City is within a reasonable distance, as is most everything else worth visiting.
You could take a trip south and visit the Parks ... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area