Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:00 PM

104 posts, read 311,021 times

Advertisements

Thanks KWM for the info. I still haven't visited Utah even though hubby starts tomorrow! Crazy I know but we're kind of used to being transferred around this way. It seems the housing prices in both the East and West are fairly comprable so I would imagine both districts will still do well however if there is still a lot of housing being built in the West the taxes out there could go higher and higher if they have to build new schools.
That's what happened in our area. The school district right next to us has so many new homes they had to build new schools. The residents taxes went sky high. For a 4,000 sq foot house people are paying $14,000 per year in taxes while our's, which is an established area with very little new homes are $7,300. Huge difference. Most of the time higher taxes means better schools but not if it's only to play catch up.
Sandy schools could become better because the money will be used for improvements not necessarily to build new to keep up with all of the new students. This of course is just an opinion.
Any other opinions out there? Would love to hear them! It helps tremendously when you have no idea where to settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 05:21 PM

9 posts, read 77,941 times
Thanks Jen38 for the new info. I'm also looking for Peyton Plaace, I guess we all are. Let me know if you find any other neighborhood besides Pepperwood with large lots. My husband really wants to get away from being able to yell out the window to our neighbors. We are looking in Cottonwood Heights and Sandy/Pepperwood. I've also heard that Grace Lutheran was a good church. I didn't know it had a school. My kids are going to be in 2nd-6th grade. I saw the church when we drove by on our way to Suncrest. It was very small. Suncrest is a beautiful neighborhood on the far south end of Draper. It's way up in the mountains. We really liked it but, thought it might be too far away from shopping and everything else. And, the snow was everywhere during the Easter week. Anyway it's another neighborhood in Draper. Though, it's almost not in Draper. I've also read on this fourm that Sandy and Draper are heavily Morman and if your not, your social scene will be pretty limited. If this is not true please, someone let me know. Any other wonderful neighborhoods out there please let me know. Thanks!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-West Family View Post
Thanks Jen38 for the new info. I'm also looking for Peyton Plaace, I guess we all are. Let me know if you find any other neighborhood besides Pepperwood with large lots. My husband really wants to get away from being able to yell out the window to our neighbors. We are looking in Cottonwood Heights and Sandy/Pepperwood. I've also heard that Grace Lutheran was a good church. I didn't know it had a school. My kids are going to be in 2nd-6th grade. I saw the church when we drove by on our way to Suncrest. It was very small. Suncrest is a beautiful neighborhood on the far south end of Draper. It's way up in the mountains. We really liked it but, thought it might be too far away from shopping and everything else. And, the snow was everywhere during the Easter week. Anyway it's another neighborhood in Draper. Though, it's almost not in Draper. I've also read on this fourm that Sandy and Draper are heavily Morman and if your not, your social scene will be pretty limited. If this is not true please, someone let me know. Any other wonderful neighborhoods out there please let me know. Thanks!!!
Suncrest has problems with its streets and bing on so steep a mountainside. I think its developer just went into bankruptcy, not sure.
There will likely be large increases on the West side in taxes as the Jordan school idstrict just split into East-West. They're trying to make it work out but worst case, you could be hit by big tax increases on the west side.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:36 PM

104 posts, read 311,021 times
I too have heard about Suncrest having problems. Not only with sliding homes but also the wind is apparently a problem up there. This is only hearsay but I was speaking to someone that said their friends moved from Suncrest because the winds were so strong at times that patio furniture would blow away and never be found again! They feared their children would blow away! Probably a little extreme but I wouldn't want to test that out. I read an article about problems in that neighborhood as well so I am staying clear.
As far as Sandy/Draper being heavily Mormon, I think you are going to get that everywhere in Utah. I have spoken to so many people now that live in the Sandy area that are NON LDS that say they have no problems. I have heard nothing but good things of the area and the people. I think because it's the dominant religion people may make a bigger fuss about it but all in all it seems to be like anywhere else where you have diversity. To me, I'm looking forward to my children being raised around those types of morals and values. What? 2nd graders not listening to bad language on the bus on their IPODS or texting crude remarks on their linked DS's? Bring it on! That's what I'm dealing with on our school bus right now and this is supposed to be the best school district in PA! Family night on Monday evenings? Love that! I'm not LDS but again, bring it on. I'd love for my husband to come home from work early and spend the evening eating dinner, playing games, watching a movie or what have you. Certainly there are going to be things that are going to erk me but I'm not the type to dwell and let it bother me. It sounds like there are more than enough other religions and those that are LDS that WILL allow their children to play with our's that I'm not really worried. If I'm wrong? Well, we have a four year contract and will choose not to renew when it's up.
From my experience in the Midwest, people are so friendly and hospitable. I think if you move with the same attitude that I'm sure you posess (I was a nicer person when I lived in MN, then I moved back to the East coast )you will have lots of friends and a good network of people that you feel comfortable around. Besides, you can always look me up, cuz I'll be looking to ceate that network! Ha Ha
The kids and I are planning to come out for good at the end of July. We are hoping to close on a house in Utah mid-July. That way it will give us a couple of weeks to change carpet, paint etc before moving our stuff. I have a second grader and kindergartener. When are you planning to move?

Also, if anyone has info on the Blessed Sacrament school I would love to hear it!
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:16 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,480,239 times
That's very interesting about Suncrest. I drove up there last time and wondered about the commute up (or down ) that road after a heavy snowfall. It seemed like quite a drop down too.

I'd be curious to read more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area