Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,467 times

Advertisements

I recently read an article in Forbes which stated that SLC ranked #1 as having more cosmetic surgeons per capita than any other US city. Why is this? I can't imagine a superficial culture existing here. I have a family member living just north of SLC and from what she has said the area is very family friendly. Can anyone help deconstuct the stats? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:55 AM

255 posts, read 608,418 times
Utah is very family friendly in many ways.

However, having lived in the Pacific Northwest, Utah, and New England, I would say that SLC and Utah County are much more concerned with appearances than the other areas I have lived.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Because we're ugly folks and our state is purdy. We feel upstaged.

In reality, tt may have something to do with UT being the "most depressed" state.
http://www.nmha.org/go/state (broken link)- and having the highest antidepressant usage. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in510918.shtml

I did a University paper on the issue, and have come to the conclusion that Utah has these problems because of the local economic climate (NOT because of the Mormon culture, as everyone wants to believe)

Wages in UT have been flat for years, but everything else is climbing in price dramatically (especially homes). In UT (as in the rest of the U.S.) we have the preconcieved notion that we can be (and have the right to be) upwardly mobile, and that hard work will pay off. Problem is that is doesn't so much anymore. People still try to get the things that show success, things their parents had when this system was still working, but they can only do it by over-extending their finances. In a nutshell, the "middle class crunch" is felt expecially bad here.

UT has abnormally high bankruptcy and suicide rates too.

Cosmetic surgery is just a coping mechanism that people are doing to try to feel better about themselves in a place that suffers from very high depression.

Last edited by Chango; 12-31-2007 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-31-2007, 02:30 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
Lightbulb probably true

I had my nose done here within three months of moving here, compared to four years in Albuquerque without bothering with it. I needed to have it done for years, but for some reason, as soon as I got unpacked, I realized I was not going to be able to go ANYWHERE in this town without having it fixed. The three months I lived here with a bad nose was one of the worst experiences of my life. I am not blaming the Mormons, but I did feel so totally out of place and bizarre, as well as afraid of the cult like feel of the place, that whatever "family" influence there may be here did not seem to matter. I will be in trouble for saying this, but I did really feel that there was such an overwhelming male influence that I would not have been able to survive here without having something fixed. As it is, my nose is still unfixed, and I have heard Mormons in general comment on it. They are very vain if you ask me; the family friendly image is not total hogwash but it is overrated. An ugly person does not stand a chance at a good life in the Wasatch front.

In fact, I was just in Albuquerque over the holidays, where I contemplated the surgery but did not pursue it, and I felt much better there, like appearances weren't as important.

I am not impressed at all with the surgeons I consulted here and may even need a revision. I don't think the surgeons in Utah are that good. There certainly isn't a nationally recognized rhino expert or anything; even Tucson has Frederick Menick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextlilypad View Post
I recently read an article in Forbes which stated that SLC ranked #1 as having more cosmetic surgeons per capita than any other US city. Why is this? I can't imagine a superficial culture existing here. I have a family member living just north of SLC and from what she has said the area is very family friendly. Can anyone help deconstuct the stats? thanks.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 PM

242 posts, read 1,116,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I had my nose done here within three months of moving here, compared to four years in Albuquerque without bothering with it. I needed to have it done for years, but for some reason, as soon as I got unpacked, I realized I was not going to be able to go ANYWHERE in this town without having it fixed. The three months I lived here with a bad nose was one of the worst experiences of my life. I am not blaming the Mormons, but I did feel so totally out of place and bizarre, as well as afraid of the cult like feel of the place, that whatever "family" influence there may be here did not seem to matter. I will be in trouble for saying this, but I did really feel that there was such an overwhelming male influence that I would not have been able to survive here without having something fixed. As it is, my nose is still unfixed, and I have heard Mormons in general comment on it. They are very vain if you ask me; the family friendly image is not total hogwash but it is overrated. An ugly person does not stand a chance at a good life in the Wasatch front.

In fact, I was just in Albuquerque over the holidays, where I contemplated the surgery but did not pursue it, and I felt much better there, like appearances weren't as important.

I am not impressed at all with the surgeons I consulted here and may even need a revision. I don't think the surgeons in Utah are that good. There certainly isn't a nationally recognized rhino expert or anything; even Tucson has Frederick Menick.
It's not just Utah that you would have had a problem with a nose YOU feel was not up to YOUR preconceived image. Try California, or Santa Fe. Yeah I've lived in both. Even Tucson is ultra image concious. Yes I lived in Tucson as well. No one is perfect. As to a revision, I suggest heading to California the southern end where the over priced Plastic surgeons are.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,583 times
Quote:
I had my nose done here within three months of moving here, compared to four years in Albuquerque without bothering with it. I needed to have it done for years, but for some reason, as soon as I got unpacked, I realized I was not going to be able to go ANYWHERE in this town without having it fixed. The three months I lived here with a bad nose was one of the worst experiences of my life. I am not blaming the Mormons, but I did feel so totally out of place and bizarre, as well as afraid of the cult like feel of the place, that whatever "family" influence there may be here did not seem to matter. I will be in trouble for saying this, but I did really feel that there was such an overwhelming male influence that I would not have been able to survive here without having something fixed.
From the sound of this, your own feelings about your appearance and self consciousness may have played a part in how you perceived others' reactions. I would never get surgery because I thought other people were bothered by my appearance - if they are it's their problem! Compounding this, I have heard you say in other threads as well, you seem to feel persecuted by the Mormons. Because of this, you probably get negative reactions because that is your expectation (people see what they are looking for). I would be surprised if you even see negativity at times where there isn't any. I don't doubt that you have legitimately had some bad experiences, but what you describe is pretty unique compared to what other non-Mormon's say about their experiences in SLC.

Also, I don't understand is the "male influence" thing, and how this made it difficult to survive without getting surgery. Were men making negative comments towards you when you walk down the street? What happened during those 3 horrible months?

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-01-2008 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: edited to account for deleted posting prior to this posting

Old 12-31-2007, 09:18 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,350 times
Quote:

I have to ask. Are you being serious in this post, or is this a tongue-in-cheek parody of the typical Mormon bashing so frequently seen in this forum?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:04 AM

515 posts, read 2,323,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I have to ask. Are you being serious in this post, or is this a tongue-in-cheek parody of the typical Mormon bashing so frequently seen in this forum?
She's serious. Read her other posts.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
OK folks, please let's get the focus back on the discussion instead of the posters.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:00 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextlilypad View Post
This is an interesting topic. In your title you say "surgeries" and in your text you say "surgeons". If it is really "surgeons" I would initially ask if the medical school is highly ranked in this area. It could be that people considering this field come to the medical school and then some/many end up staying.

Occasionally when I am visiting, I see a lot of ads in the glossies, so I think "hmm, if I ever decide to have x, y or z, I'll do it here". So it could be self-reinforcing. Butt I think the key is really to look at the exact statistic. Is it net numbers of doctors and/or procedures, or is it relative percentage of surgeons compared to other specialties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area