Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 03:57 AM

6 posts, read 6,229 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am an international community college student who is accepted in U of Utah. I did not decide yet, but this school is the most likely choice at now.

So, I want to ask you about how both the school and Salt Lake City are good or bad for me.

1. Does U of Utah provide engineering students a lot of internship chances(especially for transfer students)? And in terms of that, is it a better school than other schools(Temple in Philadelphia, SUNY at Buffalo, UW etc) I have to give up if I choose here?

2. Where are the places most students getting jobs after graduation? Do they get jobs mostly in the state or out of the state?

3. Are there many jobs for geologists or geological engineers in the state of Utah? This is the most important factor for me...

4. About the city of SLC. Is the city Asian-friendly? Is the city liberal enough for an Asian student who lived US less than 5 years?

5. I am so happy to hear that the light rail system is so extensive and accessible in the University campus, but I have no idea about bus system. Is it as good as the light rail system?

6. Not so important but just a curiosity. Is there a plan of downtown tunnel for the light rail? And does the city have enough 'large city feeling' in downtown?(Sorry for stupid questions...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 12:35 PM

14 posts, read 24,208 times
I can't answer all your questions, but I will answer the ones I can.

Question 4: The city is very friendly, for any ethnicity! There are people from all walks of life in Salt Lake.
Question 5: I believe the bus system is just as good as the light rail. Buses run all over the state. Here is a link for the UTA (Utah Transit Authority) Utah Transit Authority You will be able to view maps and routes for Salt Lake.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:52 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,674,619 times
Hey, I'm a geologist too!

1. I didn't attend at the U, but they have good science and engineering programs. I would say Utah State has a better engineering department and typically provides a higher percentage of internships, but science is probably better at Utah. The U also has the only geologic engineering program in the state. I can't say if either school is better than your east coast schools, but I'm sure they have their advantages and disadvantages. The biggest advantage is probably just the price. Out of state tuition for a non-resident will run you about 9k/semseter, you can get residency after 2 years and pay 3k/semester. Also the cost of living in Utah (rent, food, etc.) is dirt cheap. I finished undergrad, in 2011, with $0 of debt.

2. I don't know that there's really one specific place. I would say quite a few people who graduate in those fields, in the state of Utah, stay. Back when mining and oil were booming we had more jobs than we could fill and now we have enough to make them competitive. I've made the switch over to environmental, but I would say most work in mining (we have lots of metals, coal, phosphate and potash) or oil (Vernal is a crummy little oil boom town about 2 hours outside of SLC).

3. Typically yes, tons. Right now not so much, but that's everywhere. In 2008 when all the real estate and financials hit rock bottom, everyone put their money into resources. Resource exploration boomed from about 2008-2013, but then the market became over-saturated and so honestly, getting a job as a geologist or geologic engineer in 2015 kind of sucks. That being said, you're more likely to land a job here than say.. California or Texas.. There aren't as many of us. And if you're a just a Freshman, I'm positive that things will have rebounded by 2019-20.

4. Salt Lake City is fairly liberal, not like SF or Seattle liberal, but... like 70% blue, 30% red. The county is in general slightly more liberal north of about 6200 South and more conservative south of 6200. There are enough minorities in the northern half of the county that I think most of us have no problems. Down south you might get some looks, but I really doubt anyone would ever treat you poorly. In Provo they'd... eh... just don't move to Provo.

5. It's expensive ($5 round trip) and doesn't run late enough on Sundays, but otherwise it's great. It's also free in the downtown area.

6. The "city" part is pretty small, maybe a 10 city-block area from about 100 East (State) to 200 West and Center (South Temple) to 300 South (Broadway), but in that area it's a real city and it feels like one. We have a tiny little tunnel at 200 W and maybe.. 100 S, but no I don't believe there are plans for any others.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
It's about time you got here. I kept feeling sorry for the OP that nobody was responding, and every time I'd see how many views there'd been but no responses, I'd think, "I hope Geo-Aggie shows up soon."

Old 06-24-2015, 08:38 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,461,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

1. I didn't attend at the U, but they have good science and engineering programs. I would say Utah State has a better engineering department and typically provides a higher percentage of internships, but science is probably better at Utah. The U also has the only geologic engineering program in the state. I can't say if either school is better than your east coast schools, but I'm sure they have their advantages and disadvantages. The biggest advantage is probably just the price. Out of state tuition for a non-resident will run you about 9k/semseter, you can get residency after 2 years and pay 3k/semester. Also the cost of living in Utah (rent, food, etc.) is dirt cheap. I finished undergrad, in 2011, with $0 of debt.

2. I don't know that there's really one specific place. I would say quite a few people who graduate in those fields, in the state of Utah, stay. Back when mining and oil were booming we had more jobs than we could fill and now we have enough to make them competitive. I've made the switch over to environmental, but I would say most work in mining (we have lots of metals, coal, phosphate and potash) or oil (Vernal is a crummy little oil boom town about 2 hours outside of SLC).

3. Typically yes, tons. Right now not so much, but that's everywhere. In 2008 when all the real estate and financials hit rock bottom, everyone put their money into resources. Resource exploration boomed from about 2008-2013, but then the market became over-saturated and so honestly, getting a job as a geologist or geologic engineer in 2015 kind of sucks. That being said, you're more likely to land a job here than say.. California or Texas.. There aren't as many of us. And if you're a just a Freshman, I'm positive that things will have rebounded by 2019-20.

4. Salt Lake City is fairly liberal, not like SF or Seattle liberal, but... like 70% blue, 30% red. The county is in general slightly more liberal north of about 6200 South and more conservative south of 6200. There are enough minorities in the northern half of the county that I think most of us have no problems. Down south you might get some looks, but I really doubt anyone would ever treat you poorly. In Provo they'd... eh... just don't move to Provo.

5. It's expensive ($5 round trip) and doesn't run late enough on Sundays, but otherwise it's great. It's also free in the downtown area.

6. The "city" part is pretty small, maybe a 10 city-block area from about 100 East (State) to 200 West and Center (South Temple) to 300 South (Broadway), but in that area it's a real city and it feels like one. We have a tiny little tunnel at 200 W and maybe.. 100 S, but no I don't believe there are plans for any others.

This really a terrific response Geo Aggie. I learned some new info about the various universities. TY.

To the OP, congratulations on being accepted to several universities to get your Undergrad degree. Some of your questions are very subjective. I think you need to ask yourself where you want to live and work when you complete your degree. There won't be as many east coast internships connected with the U. of Utah as Temple, SUNY etc. It seems to me you have to first decide which coast you want to be on and then decide which university.. UW and the U of U will be similar in internships and where graduates work simply because they are west coast schools.

I'd encourage you to contact the U.. of Utah Dept. that accepted you and ask the questions about internships, where grads get hired etc. They will have that info.

I'm lost when you mention is the area liberal enough for an International Community College transfer. I'm not sure how an International student vs. U.S. student would would classify liberal. There certainly are liberal areas in Salt Lake County.

Asians are treated well in Utah, if they treat others well just like anyone else. You won't be treated as "special," you are simply another college student. Those who struggle in UT are natives, U.S. residents and International students who feel entitled, are determined they are going to find more "wrong" in an area than what is right. How much you get involved with groups and do things to serve others has a lot to do with how happy and busy you will be. It's important to give back to the community where you are educated. Giving back is part of a good template for a successful career anywhere.

I wish you the best of luck pursuing your degree, wherever that may be.

MSR

Old 06-24-2015, 11:28 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,674,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's about time you got here. I kept feeling sorry for the OP that nobody was responding, and every time I'd see how many views there'd been but no responses, I'd think, "I hope Geo-Aggie shows up soon."
See I'm totally useful for two things now! Telling people how awesome WVC is, despite preconceptions, and answering questions about geology and mining engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
This really a terrific response Geo Aggie. I learned some new info about the various universities. TY.
Thank you! Happy I could help.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 6,229 times
Sorry of a late response, but thank you for all! Based on your responses and other factors, I finally decided to choose U of Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area